High Jump Tips

TamaTalk

Help Support TamaTalk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mazeay

Reaction score
Well track and field is soon, we can pick 3 events. I'm doing the 100m dash, long jump and I really want to try for high jump. They pick two girls from each grade 7 class to do it, and there are two girls in my class that are pretty good. One of them has an injury, though, and couldn't practise today, but I don't know how good she really is. The other is going to make it for sure.

So we were practising it today.. I'm pretty good at high jump, I'm definitely in the top 3, but I'm not so sure about the top 2, and that's what I need to be in. I knocked the bar down at around.. 1 metre 10, (3.6 feet) .. it was only my first time this year though.

So I was wondering if anyone has any high jump tips or strategies that they've heard of or have used? Because I really hope I make it.

(tips for 100 m dash and running long jump would be good too :) Thanks !

These are pretty basic because I just started high jump this year..

~~~

1. If you are right handed, when you're about to jump lift your left foot up and jump with your right foot.

2. Sprint when you are a farther distance away from the bar. When you get closer, start running as fast as you can before you jump.

3. If you put too much pressure on your right foot when you're jumping, you'll jump very high, but go straight up into the air which will cause you to land straight into the pole. Make sure you push forward when you're jumping also.

I long and triple jump for my high school's varsity track and field team. :D

However, I'm not going to be a whole lot of help when it comes to high jump. My best advice is to make sure your back is arched and keep your legs up. I know of many high jumpers who will say, "I almost cleared 5'0! I actually DID clear it, but my feet / calves bumped the bar and knocked it down!"

Good luck.

well to do a high jump, you have to exercise your legs and feet, to run faster and jump higher.

hope i helped, thats what my P.E teacher said.

i am sure you will make it :D

Last edited by a moderator:
I never done the jumps, but I've done the 100 a few times this year. I haven't done it since the beginning of the season and tomorrow's the last day now.

A tip is to build up speed as soon as you can. The 100 isn't that long, and you need to start getting fast asap before it's over already. ;)

Every year we have annual field events.

Shotput, ball games, high jump, long jump.

I fail at high jump.

One year I jumped so bad I went on top of the pole and crashed.

Another year I jumped too well I landed not on the mat, but half on half off ant the back of it.

I'm better at long jump XD

We have SAPSASA events.

Shotput, discus, long jump, high jump, relays, everything...

I fail at shotput and discus.

I'm average at relays.

But with high jump, I'm pretty good. I'm a tall child, that's why. But still I have my moments of failure. My best tip would be to just focus. Tell yourself you'll do it. I'm not very helpful, sorreh D:

I'm alot better at long jump, lol.

HIGH JUMP.

Finally. Something I'm actually good at.

I'm not really sure what tips I should give you - the Frosbee Flip came naturally for me. All you've really got to do is concentrate on getting your legs over, and jumping high enough. I would put it down to natural ability. But practice does make perfect. ;3

If you mess up then just remember that one time, i dived for the mat instead of flipping onto my back and then went between the crack of the two mats.

I love highjump <33

The problem is, I can only highjump in shorts. I've tested it. I everytime I wasn't wearing shorts, I couldn't make it over 100cm. But with shorts, I can do 110cm. It's so odd. Try scissor-kicking.

Edit: Thank you Ksenia for pointing out my mistake

Last edited by a moderator:
100m? O: I believe you were meant to write cm, lol.

Yeahh. As Weiwei said, scissor kicking works well. And also as I said before, focus on getting over and tell yourself that you will. The powers of the mind, they are extraordinary, haha.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back