How do I convince my parents

TamaTalk

Help Support TamaTalk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tamalove2

March 2008 Contest Winner
Reaction score
Ok so my birthday is coming up soon,and all I want is a bugg.(A mix between a Boston Terrier and a pug)And I want to show them I'm ready for one.Any tips?Thanks!

"Mom, our Science teacher says we need to get a dog to learn about other living creatures. If I don't get one I'll fail 70% of my grade."

Ta-da! :]

You may think you are ready for a dog, but (unless you're 16+yrs), perhaps your parents are not ready for a dog...?

Don't forget, they are the ones who will be paying for it - vet bills, pet supplies, food, kennels, etc. - unless you have enough money saved up to cover those costs...?

I guess the best way to show them you can manage to care for a dog is to show them that it won't affect your grades and that you will spend more time outdoors (excercising yourself and the dog) instead of spending time on the computer / internet / game system.

Do you have enough time to devote to a dog - training, exercising, etc. in addition to your current commitments - school during the day, homework, after school clubs / sports activities, etc.?

If you feel sure that you can manage, then ask your parents if you can all sit down and have a sensible discussion (not an argument) about owning a dog and what the pros / cons will be and how any potential problems might be solved.

Either it will convince you and them that you are (all) ready to own a dog - or it will help you understand why you won't be getting one for this birthday (but maybe the next...?) ;]

Edit: and LOL @ bratztroxg ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
How about a kitten instead? They're soooooo much easier to care for and their adorable!!! 10 reasons to get a kitten instead of a dog:

1. SOOOOO much cuter!!!!!

2. Soooo fuzzy!

3. NO slober!

4. Lick themselves (NO baths!)

5. Very quiet

6. Sleeps on with you

7. NO walks

8. Does business in litterbox

9. Does funny stuff (like sleep in the sink, chases the mousey toy, etc.)

10. SOOOOO CUTE!!!!!

[SIZE=11pt]Get a kitten like this one or this one or THIS one!!!!!![/SIZE]

Best kitty site ever!!!!!!!!

How about a kitten instead? They're soooooo much easier to care for and their adorable!!! 10 reasons to get a kitten instead of a dog:

2. Soooo fuzzy!

3. NO slober!

5. Very quiet

6. Sleeps on with you

7. NO walks

10. SOOOOO CUTE!!!!!

That was a little on the rude side.When I say I want a dog that means I want I dog.Anyways,I HATE cats!

My parents considering it,any more tips?Thanks!

Hahahaha!! oops, a cat person trying to sell cats on a non-cat person. Even if I weren't horribly allergic, I would never have a cat. They would kill everything in the house. I'm just a dog person too. :)

It helps to ask yourself a lot of questions:

Do you think a dog fits your lifestyle? Is the house always clean? It sure helps.

Do you take a lot of vacations? I never thought it was right to board a dog at a kennel. It's just awkward for everyone.

Is the house empty for more than 6 hours a day? Doggie needs to get out about every 4-5 hours or you are going to have problems.

Are you lazy about keeping food around the house? The dog will jump on every opportunity to grab it no matter the breed.

I did grow up with dogs. Dogs are just full of win!

Now, you say you want a certain breed. Read up on what that breed is like. Dogs are very specialized animals. General breed traits are huge things to consider.

Personally, I would like to have a dog but there are many times I am so glad I don't have one. Then the only kind of dog that would fit my life are in the companion class. Dogs that were bred to not go after other animals since I have birds, turtles and other critters that are just allowed all over the house.

Learn about all the different classes of dogs if you have not. It's a real eye opener and helps to pick the best dog for your lifestyle. Sometimes the cutest dog is not the best choice.

I guess it's mostly a matter of convincing them that a dog will fit in to your lifestyle.

If your lifestyle is easy breezy and a lot of dogs may fit in to your life, instead of a botique breed, please visit your local Humane Society and consider one of those doggies. Love at first site is a magical thing that happens in those places. :) Taking a doggie off death row is always a worthy cause.

My parents never really wanted a dog, but I've wanted one since 2 summers ago and finally after lots and lots and lots of research and working I finally got my Pomeranian pup ^^ and everyone enjoys him :'D

Have you found a "pug" breeder?

do you know anything about this breed? Do you know how to train a dog? Have you thought about the costs? Chester (my dog) has costed (including vet bills, food, toys, etc.) well over 4500+ dollars

Are you prepared to have some of your most special possessions shredded and ruined? Are you willing to feed, train (it's very hard work!), walk the dog and not dump the responsibility on your parents??

u need to prove to them you can do all this but it takes a LOT of time and a lot of effort.

hmmm... maybe you can show to them that you're responsible enough to take care of one. i wanted one in grade 3 but i failed miserably at convincing them. maybe that will work.

yea,yea,yeah......show them your responsible,do your work.......blah,blah.blah,but this it what I say...okay.I call it the Ridiculous Rule. Over a few days time start asking your parents for extremely ridiculous things-stuff you're sure you'd nver get- and keep persisting till you annoy them into the ground. The last thing you ask them for is a dog because compared to all the other stuff(I trust you'll have a good enough imagination to come up w/ goo d stuff) you ask for it will be so normal that they cant help but be so relieved your finally being sensible and get it for you!

pfft of course i didnt do this before................

2. Soooo fuzzy!

3. NO slober!

5. Very quiet

6. Sleeps on with you

7. NO walks

10. SOOOOO CUTE!!!!!

.-.

"Mom, our Science teacher says we need to get a dog to learn about other living creatures. If I don't get one I'll fail 70% of my grade."
Ta-da! :]
I agree with that one.

Sometimes dogs can be out of control

I have 4 dogs

A rottweiler, A chihuahuah, A austraillan shephard, and an australlian cattle dog

Don't get any of those

Rottweilers: Slober a lot. Take your toys, sleep on your bed, eat your lunch while you go to the bathroom, over protective, don't like your friends.

Chihuahuahs: Take things under the bed and chew them. Get very nervous when people hold them and pee, Can bite, hard!

Australlian shepherds: Pee all over your floors, cute. A maybe want.

Australlian Cattle dog: A GOOD PICK. Doesn't like other male dogs in its home. Very intelligent and loves the mountains and hiking.

Chihuahuahs: Take things under the bed and chew them. Get very nervous when people hold them and pee, Can bite, hard!
Chihuahuas are cute. I have one. You're actually right about the peeing thing, You just have to train them. That's why my chihuahua doesn't pee on me~ They can bite, but I don't think they bite as hard as other dogs. They mostly play.

Show your mom you're responsible.

Plus tell her you'll take really good care of it.

Im trying to get one too. Whats a beagle like? And how much are they at petco patsmart ect.

I always wanted a dog but after the novelty of having a dog wore off it became more of a chore walking, pooper scooper, feeding, baths etc. You've gotta be good at actually doing chores and train them.

Im trying to get one too. Whats a beagle like? And how much are they at petco patsmart ect.
Beagles naturally bark a LOT.

Do your homework, get the AKC dog book and learn about the breeds.

Every dog is bred for different things. Beagles were used to hunt, they run ahead of us hunting down little stuff so they had to keep barking so we could find them.

This kill instinct also limits what you can have with them. Mine was a good mouse killer. You can't have small furrys or birds with them.

OMG!!!!They said yes!My mom brought me to a pet shop and I got a puppy!It's a mutt though,I don't really care.I'm so happy!Could a guide please close this?Thanks for all your support! -_-

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back