HOW TO BE A GOOD RPER... PART 2

TamaTalk

Help Support TamaTalk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Runner

Reaction score
So. Here is my second RP guide.. The wonderful guide to making characters, PART 2! This time, we will focus on looks and name, and other things. This time, we'll also get right into it.

LOOKS

Ah yes, looks. You may not think much of it- "Oh, if my character is already so unsueish, I can make my character look HOWEVER I WANT!!!" Yeah, no.

HAIR:

THE ISSUE WITH ANIME PICS:

You may wonder why anime pics are banned in literate RPs. Well, for starters, do you see people in real life running around with silvery white hair, besides 80 year olds or albinos? Do you see people walking around with blue hair that looks completely natural? Do you see people walking around with sparkly, big, green eyes? Do you see boys with spiky hair that isn't in the form of a mohawk or one of those super crazy disgusting looking punky spikes?

No.

Most RPs take place in REAL WORLD settings, so to have somebody try to join as a character with shiny, pink hair is absolutely silly. You never get natural hair that color. I mean, you COULD play a character with dyed pink hair, but it wouldn't look very natural, as in real life, if you see someone with pink hair, it is far from a naturalish color.

1. DYED HAIR

It's okay to have characters with dyed hair, but avoid saying it looks natural. Let's face it, it will never look natural to have someone walking around with pink hair. Natural means NATURE. NATURE DOES NOT EQUAL PINK HAIR.

However, it is okay if you go from blond to brown or vice versa. I have a buddy who dyed her hair, and I never thought she dyed her hair from brown to blonde until I was told by another friend. If going from natural shade to natural shade (Blond, brown, reddish orange (Not blood red or anything)), it's okay. But black hair is the only exception.

2. STREAKS/HIGHLIGHTS

These are okay to have, but avoid rainbow colored streaks or anything neon. Stick with maybe just a single pink streak or something.

Same goes with highlights.

3. LONG HAIR

Avoid having overly long hair, since I have never seen anyone with hair long enough to sit on. It doesn't really look sexy if someone can sit on their own hair, it actually looks ridiculous.

EYES

1. Stick to the natural eye colors, aka hazel, brown, green, blue. Nothing like purple or orange or red eyes.

2. NO EYES THAT CHANGE COLORS.

3. NO EYES THAT ARE TWO DIFFERENT COLORS.

Or for that matter, eyes that are separate colors. Even with color contacts it just is ridiculous.

CLOTHING:

1. NO UNUSUAL CLOTHING

Aka no characters that always run around wearing fancy sparkly dresses or odd clothing, unless it's like a fantasy RP or something.

2. NO GOTHIC CLOTHING

Sorry, it just looks horrible and plus, we don't need any Ebony Darkness Dementia Raven Ways in RPs. If you dunno who that is, look it up. However, it is okay to have gothic clothing if you can pull it off right. That doesn't mean that you pull off the gothic character when you're a beginner though.

NAMES:

1. NO FANCY NAMES.

No fancy names like "Destiny Rose" or "Mist Paradise". It's okay to have your first name be "Destiny", but not okay if your last name is also sparkly. Avoid super odd fantasy names unless it's a fantasy RP. ALL RP CHARACTERS THAT ARE IN RPS THAT TAKE PLACE IN THE REAL WORLD MUST HAVE COMMON FIRST NAMES OR LAST NAMES IF YOU HAVE A FANCY FIRST OR LAST NAME.

Good: Destiny Williams.

2. NO PRINCESS/PRINCE.

Never use Princess or Prince or Queen or King in your characters name. It's ridiculous. Unless your RP involves medieval things or England, no princesses. It's okay though if your character's nickname is Princess though. Although to be called Princess, you'd have to have some guy who really loves you call you that... Or you'd have to be a greedy person calling yourself a Princess.

3. NO FANCY MIDDLE NAMES.

POWERS:

1. No any overly powerful powers

Like power over all elements, or power over life. Or power to nullify and deflect powers against other people. Just have nullify.

2. No cheesy powers

Anything overly ridiculous is just facepalm material.

MORE STUFF ON PERSONALITY...

1. No over bubbliness.

This can be seen in posts. For example:

Ann was so excited she skipped all the way home!! She laughed and grabbed her friends and blah blah

The next post:

Ann ran up to her BFF Timmy and said "Hey timmy!! How are you doing?!!"

It gets annoying to put up with that ^ for tons of posts in a row. Don't do it.

2. No characters that treat everybody they meet like a friend.

Would you run up to complete strangers and treat them like buddies? Yeah no.

3. No stalker characters

These are annoying because these characters just happen to know where other characters live. This is a form of attention seeking character, since attention seeking characters just always happen to stumble across other characters.

4. NO "MYSTERIOUS" HEROINES.

No imagining your character as a heroine of a movie or book, soooo mystical and beautiful and all that crud. It's annoying.

5. SHY CHARACTERS

stay shy period.

6. NO CONTRADICTING TRAITS

Shy and friendly don't go together. You can have a shy and kind character, but not friendly since friendly means you're more outgoing.

7. NO ANNOYING CHARACTERS THAT RUIN GOOD MOMENTS

Characters that magically stumble upon other characters having a good time, or characters that pull pranks and destroy the good moments.

Characters that pull pranks are okay, but don't overdo it or else it gets very annoying.

8. CHARACTERS BAD AT ATHLETICS STAY BAD

They cannot suddenly hit a homerun or something like that. They stay bad. Same with bad singers. They stay bad, they don't suddenly begin to sing like Lady Gaga good.

9. No emo boys

Because they normally become stus.

GENERAL RULES

1. NEVER IMAGINE AN RP TO BE AN ANIME!!

Because that's a disaster waiting to happen. Never imagine your character to be Yui Hirasawa or something, and never imagine your character being all sweet and kawaii.

2. PAY ATTENTION TO THE PLOT WHEN MAKING FORMS.

3. Put your character into RPs casually.

Don't suddenly throw your character in RPs!

4. DO NOT MAKE AN RP CHARACTER WHO IS BASED ON YOURSELF

It is okay only when for humorous effect, or if you're an older person. Most people cannot admit their own faults so they end up making a sue or stu. Not to mention, in RPs, they always make their characters based upon themselves become annoying.

5. TAKE CRITICISM.

If you get booted by and RP or rejected, then don't cry about the criticism you get. TAKE IT. USE IT. And don't think the RP owner hates you, the RP owner is TRYING TO HELP YOU. Suck it up.

6. NO CREATING SETTINGS AND THINGS IRRELEVANT TO THE ACTUAL RP

Your character cannot come from another mystical fantasy world or be a princess from a secret kingdom in the sky.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with pretty much all of this. HOWEVER, in real life, there are goths and emos, and people have the right to rp such characters. However, where many roleplayers are lacking is in the ability to realistically portray said characters. I've known a few people who have roleplayed characters who wear goth clothes, and have not been annoyed by them. It just depends on the skill of the writer.

Also, there are genetic defects that can cause mismatched eyes or strange eye colors (like you mentioned, albino). That being said, not every single character can have those sorts of defects. They are EXTREMELY rare. If that's the trait of a specific race, I would say go with it, but other than that... it's a tough call.

Good guidelines overall!

I agree with pretty much all of this. HOWEVER, in real life, there are goths and emos, and people have the right to rp such characters. However, where many roleplayers are lacking is in the ability to realistically portray said characters. I've known a few people who have roleplayed characters who wear goth clothes, and have not been annoyed
I went back and fixed the part. Although I added beginners shouldn't try to play emos.

I love you man

But one thing;

I made my avatar RP, and I said specifically "Stick to the skin tones and hair/eye colors of your tribe/nation/kingdom;

Water Tribes: Tan skin, dark hair, blue eyes (The only exception is Yue, her hair is white because of the moon spirits)

Earth kingdom: Average complexion, green eyes in various shades, Black or Brunette hair

Fire Nation: Pale skin, golden eyes, black or light brown hair"

One girl posted a picture of a girl from another anime, with blue eyes, pale skin and BLONDE HAIR.

No one in A:TLA has blonde hair. It's chinese-based guys.

Why did I even let her in OTL

Also, her character was wearing MODERN clothes. Avatar isn't modern, it's in the past.

Last edited by a moderator:
"it actually looks ridiculous." I love you. Its so true, super long hair is a lot of work and had doesn't look sexy at all. It tends to just be thrown up to look decent because when left down, like you said looks ridiculous.

That is all, okay bye :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back