I'm worried about my gran.

TamaTalk

Help Support TamaTalk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nix666

Reaction score
Ok, my gran has Alzheimer's Disease, she got it 5 years ago and she's 72 now. For those of you who don't know, Alzheimer's Disease is a disease of the brain that makes you see things that aren't there, forget things or believe something isn't what it seems. Anyway, she got out of hospital a few weeks ago, she hurt her hip, after that, she went to her house and she's been worse since then. She's been waking up at 2am, leaving the house, shouting at my papa, ect. My mum was on the phone to my papa, and she said that my gran might have to go into a home(Like, an old persons care home.) I really don't want her to, she's my gran and i feel that if she goes into a home, I'll not get to see her at christmas, new year, my birthday, her birthday, unless my family goes to visit, but my dad is the only one who drives that lives in my house and he'd be at work, my big sister drives, but she has two children, so I'd never get to see my gran, except from the weekends, but even then, I'm still sad. Also, my mum's brother, who's never saw me before, just phoned my Aunt, asking about my gran, I think he might tell the Socil Woirkers to put her into a home, so even If my mum changed her mind, my gran'd still go into a home. I'm really worried.

I just need your opinion on what'd be best. Thanks.

Ohhh... that's terrible. I hope she's alright :(

Do whatever's best for her. Your Papa said it would be best if she went into a home, and he lives with her, so he would know what is best and how serious it could get. Do what's best.

Jess is right,

It might not be the best not seeing her,

but atleast she will have the right care,

HOPE SHE IS ALRIGHT :)

There's nothing wrong with a nursing home. If she is at risk of hurting others or herself, and can not take care of herself properly, it's a good place to be taken care of. My grandmother is in a nursing home and we still see her at all holidays and special occasions and my mother and my uncle/aunt visit her every week. There's nothing wrong with being in a nursing home but here's some things I suggest:

1. Do your research and help your grandmother find a decent, affordable home with good staff and decent living arrangements she will need. My grandmother probably say 3-4 nursing homes before she picked the one she's at now.

2. Stay on top of what's going on. Sometimes there will be problems with staff not doing things right or worse. It happens everywhere. To help your grandmother, make sure she writes all problems with staff down and she relays it to your family. Then make sure you speak to the head people or person at the home and make sure they know to correct their staff's actions or behaviour. We had a few instances at my grandmother's home where staff were not listening to her needs, and after a stern talk and warning, they smartened up.

3. Keep your spirits up to keep your grandmother's up. She might feel useless going into this new place. Let her know she's still needed in your life and your family's, and keep in good contact. There's nothing wrong in going to visit her instead of her visiting you.

There's nothing wrong with a nursing home. If she is at risk of hurting others or herself, and can not take care of herself properly, it's a good place to be taken care of. My grandmother is in a nursing home and we still see her at all holidays and special occasions and my mother and my uncle/aunt visit her every week. There's nothing wrong with being in a nursing home but here's some things I suggest:
1. Do your research and help your grandmother find a decent, affordable home with good staff and decent living arrangements she will need. My grandmother probably say 3-4 nursing homes before she picked the one she's at now.

2. Stay on top of what's going on. Sometimes there will be problems with staff not doing things right or worse. It happens everywhere. To help your grandmother, make sure she writes all problems with staff down and she relays it to your family. Then make sure you speak to the head people or person at the home and make sure they know to correct their staff's actions or behaviour. We had a few instances at my grandmother's home where staff were not listening to her needs, and after a stern talk and warning, they smartened up.

3. Keep your spirits up to keep your grandmother's up. She might feel useless going into this new place. Let her know she's still needed in your life and your family's, and keep in good contact. There's nothing wrong in going to visit her instead of her visiting you.
Ditto.

My grandpa had to go into a nursing home after he had some serious medical problems and jeez- it was horrible! Just different things that went so wrong there. The other people living there were amazing, though, and some of the staff was too but it was just... bad.

Eventualy my uncle quit his job and get's paid by my grandpa which is even cheaper than at the nursing home. It's alot more complex now but it's ALOT better than it was.

It may be less often that you see her but I'm sure there will be a way. Your parents obviously love her very much to 1) take care of her and 2) even think about putting her somewhere else for her own good.

It'll be tough- it was for me- but again, keep the attitude up. You don't want to make a wall and keep her out because of your fears of what might happen to her. That would be even worse.

Hope and prayers for your family.

I agree. There's nothing wrong with a nursing home, and if it's what's best for her, do it! I bet you won't regret it, because, unfortunatley, she needs it. You would still get to see her anyways, just not as much.

Don't worry.

Its alright if granny/grandad goes to a nursing/retierment home. :( :lol: .

You can still see her on weekend like you said. :wub: ^_^

If you know her email adress send her a email or do IM. :lol: :mellow:

Telephone her if you know her number. :( :lol:

p.s.I done some smileys (grandchild with grandparent) ;) ^_^

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back