Internet Safety.

TamaTalk

Help Support TamaTalk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

i like kats :D

Reaction score
with all the new technology of this generation, internet safety is very important. you should never give out personal info, such as:

~your address

~your phone number

~your full name

~your town

~your school

~your password (it doesn't give out where you live, but also very important)

be careful when you meet people online. someone you says they're a 10 year old girl could be a 60 year old man!!! :eek:

sites such as myspace and facebook aren't so safe. even if you put your profile on private, someone who can see it could save it to thier computer and put it on another website!

if anyone is ever harrassing you online, or asking you for personal info, report them IMMEDIATELY.

Here is a fun game about internet safety!

haha, I totally bet that this will be deleted for no reason as usual, but who cares! because of this simple post, I just got a huge award! >: D

I think everyone should know this info and learn about the dangers of the web before they start using the Internet. We were already taught all of this in Elementary school when more and more kids became active web users.

Last edited by a moderator:
Another internet safety tip - Never agree to meet someone in person that you met on the internet. If it's someone you have gotten to know pretty well and you're almost positive that they are who they say they are (a few pictures of them can never hurt), then take someone else with you. Don't ever go alone.

with all the new technology of this generation, internet safety is very important. you should never give out personal info, such as:
~your address

~your phone number

~your full name

~your town

~your school

~your password (it doesn't give out where you live, but also very important)

be careful when you meet people online. someone you says they're a 10 year old girl could be a 60 year old man!!! :eek:

sites such as myspace and facebook aren't so safe. even if you put your profile on private, someone who can see it could save it to thier computer and put it on another website!

if anyone is ever harrassing you online, or asking you for personal info, report them IMMEDIATELY.

Here is a fun game about internet safety!

haha, I totally bet that this will be deleted for no reason as usual, but who cares! because of this simple post, I just got a huge award! >: D
I agree with most of these, but why not give out your town? I mean, if that's all you give out then how are they going to track you down?

Urgh God. I’ve had this same lecture rammed down my throat hundreds of times.

I know that internet safety is important because there have been numerous cases of kids getting raped or murdered by internet friends they thought they could trust and sometimes a paedophile can be very convincing, but people like my computing teacher seem to be a bit over-paranoid about it. I mean, he was trying to tell us that giving out so much as your birthday or country is dangerous. And don't get me started on my Dad. He just blows the whole thing way out of proportion.

Yeah, sorry, it’s 4:48AM. I probably haven’t worded that in the best way possible and come off as pretty stupid. Ah well.

Oh, okay, cool, thanks. Btw the game's quite lacking.

*edited swear word*

You didn't have to click it you know. Please keep posts in here productive and censoring a word as you did still can be seen as a vulgar word used. If you have nothing nice to say, reword it or don't bother posting. Thanks

- TigerLily013

Thanks. :)

My I.T teacher is big on internet safety too.

Edit: My brother messed with my post. He's a dork.

thanks for the tips <3 Most of us may already know this and I completely agree with you. I met an online friend after years of getting to know him and it turned out pretty well. No creepy stalker or old 40 year old man. However, most of the time people are not who they say they are online, believe me LOL I've met so many people.

There was one case where my friend was going to meet her online bf in rl, but she soon found out it was a girl all along.

Thanks for the tips :gozarutchi:

I know that internet safety is important because there have been numerous cases of kids getting raped or murdered by internet friends they thought they could trust and sometimes a paedophile can be very convincing, but people like my computing teacher seem to be a bit over-paranoid about it. I mean, he was trying to tell us that giving out so much as your birthday or country is dangerous. And don't get me started on my Dad. He just blows the whole thing way out of proportion.

Yeah, sorry, it’s 4:48AM. I probably haven’t worded that in the best way possible and come off as pretty stupid. Ah well.
I don't know what's so dangerous about mentioning the country you live in, but I can kind of understand where he's coming from on the birthday thing. Internet predators, upon learning your age, will help them decide whether they want to pursue you any further or look for their next victim. I would imagine that many prefer children over adults.

I don't know what's so dangerous about mentioning the country you live in, but I can kind of understand where he's coming from on the birthday thing. Internet predators, upon learning your age, will help them decide whether they want to pursue you any further or look for their next victim. I would imagine that many prefer children over adults.
Good point. I've never actually thought of it that way before, I just think of how much information you can give a paedophile before they could track you down enough to come to your house and...do what they want to do, not of what would make them want to track you down in the first place.

No, actually that made a lot of sense. And to pretty much everything you said, same here. My dad is waaay over paranoid about that stuff. Honestly, first names don't give away anything, there's more than one person with the same name most likely, and unless you tell exactly where you live, state or country doesn't give away that much either. Just don't plan to meet up with someone unless you know they are who they say they are, and try not to put too much info out there.

I agree. We have to be very careful what we post on the internet.

Honestly, I'm bad when it comes to internet safety. I have no problem with sharing my number, which is a dumb thing to do. But I usually don't share it with strangers- it's more to friends of mine. Internet safety is important, but I don't follow all of the rules.

Good point. I've never actually thought of it that way before, I just think of how much information you can give a paedophile before they could track you down enough to come to your house and...do what they want to do, not of what would make them want to track you down in the first place.
I know a lot of people think their parents over react with internet safety - and I guess some do - often because they don't understand how information and the internet works - or (maybe), because they do understand :D

If you live in a big town and you think just mentioning your town could be safe just be aware that it is not one isolated piece of information.

Internet predators / paedophiles, etc. collect information on kids whilst they are preparing to groom them. They keep a note of it and build up a profile on you and may even know you from other sites / chat rooms / forums - either by the same name (because they have befriended you) or using different names.

Example; you mention only your town on one forum because it's a big town and no one on that forum lives even remotely near to you except for a couple of good friends you've met on the site;

You mention your school name - or school football team name in another chat room in open conversation with another friend but there are other chatters in the room who can see your conversation (including some from the other site);

You belong to your school network on face book or you let your friends tag you by name in photos and they don't keep any of their info private.

Google is your friend and it is also really useful for predators to look up school info, school team names, general info on towns, tags on photos, etc.

Predators can be pretty efficient at collecting seemingly random bits of personal info and cross referencing them to build a picture.

If you don't keep a check on what info you share, it is not that difficult for some guy to find out that you go to a certain school in a certain town and that you leave later than normal on Thursdays and make your own way home because you have an after school class - and he knows what you look like because some friend shared group photos of everyone at the end of year graduation/celebration.

Not all stalkers are planning to come to your house - they just need to get to know your routines and the places you hang out.

Just because you don't think it is possible to be tracked down from the info you mention online, doesn't mean it can't be done :D

That's true, TamaMum. Part of why I hate the internet some days. When I joined TamaTalk quite some time ago, I told my Dad but he didn't tell my Mum, so I spent at least half an hour trying to tell her that I knew what internet safety was because I have a weird thing for reading every article about it that crops up.

When it comes to where I live, I don't give anything out other than my country, not even to close internet friends. Heck, I don't even say my first name, let alone my last. The thing with the internet is that you can pretend to be anyone, and unfortunately this is often used for bad (It can by used for good though. I once heard something in a newspaper about a woman who posed as a fourteen year old girl on the internet to see if her husband really was grooming children as she suspected, and caught him out).

I had a friend (I'm not friends with her anymore, but not because of this) whose parents tried to ban her from the internet because they'd only just found out that there were paedophiles on the internet from a news report, and I could tell she didn't know either because she was like "there was this girl who met someone on the internet and SHE WAS KIDDNAPPPED!!! GET OFF THE INTERNET OR ELSE IT WILL HAPPEN TO YOU!" (Literally)

So basically, on a website like this, you should remember to start learning stuff like this. Seriously.

Tama :D Phantom

I've heard this same lecture over a thousand times. I mean, heck, a lot of the teachers at my school actually freak out when they find out kids go on forum websites or social networking sites and call their parents and are all "OMIGOD DID YOU KNOW THAT YOUR CHILD HAS A FACEBOOK!?"

I kid you not. They have a freakout if they find out that one of their students uses the internet for more than just school research.

My whole class at school had the internet safety lecture at school -once again- this year. And apparently if you state your pet's names on the internet, be prepared for a stalker at your door sometime tomorrow. No crap. >.>

Anyway. I ignore the minor rules, such as don't state your age, country, or first name. Most people on TT know, and some of them even know my province. A few people here on TT [like maybe 15?] even have my msn. But those are the ones that are most trusted. I just don't give my email out to random people.

But no. Nobody here knows my town, my last name, my address, or my phone number. So in terms of the "they really can stalk you now" rules, I'm fine.

I think its mostly common sense. :( Alot of my friends on facebook don't know who most of their friends are. I don't think there is any point to that at all? Well that's just me. But, giving out all your information is like going to on the news and saying "Hey come kidnap me! Here is my address!"

One rule I always follow: NEVER post a picture of yourself on sites like Facebook, Myspace, etc.

One thing about the "Don't post your school name on sites on the internet": At my school they had this powerpoint about internet safety, really helpful. On Facebook, your name is already listed, if you post your school, some sicko could easily look up that school, find your neighborhood, and if you posted your picture, they could find YOU. Always be careful with what you post on the internet. What goes on the net, STAYS on the net. Remember that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back