Is Guffins a virus or what?

TamaTalk

Help Support TamaTalk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

FairyWars9

Reaction score
This may be in the wrong section if it is feel free to move it but...

Is Guffins really a virus like everyone says? I don't plan on playing it since I'm already signed up to more important stuff, but I've heard on Yahoo Answers that it IS a virus and it changes your home page to something stupid like MyWebSearch or Conduit, which sadly I've had before due to the IMVU Toolbar which I removed. Also I heard the people who made CursorMania and all those ecchy stuff with Adware made Guffins. I'm so confused!!!

My search got changed to Conduit once, but I never had a virus on my computer.

But it wasn't from what you're talking about. I have no idea what you're talking about.

Just install AVAST if you don't have a virus protection yet.

"Just install AVAST if you don't have a virus protection yet."

I have AVAST already installed since I don't trust Security Essentials, and it detected the Conduit thing the IMVU Toolbar downloaded as a PUP, which is a form of spyware. Next time before you scan your computer, go on More Details and Turn on "Scan PUP" if you haven't already. Wait until the scan is over. It detected 3 threats for me and they were all PUP's.

MyWebSearch is actually Adware not a virus. as for Conduit, i'm not too sure

However microsoft security essentials is actually quite good. Saved my computer many times

Let's check with McAfee.

**tests guffins.com link**

McAfee: "This link is safe."

**goes to website**

Hmm, well McAfee is not giving me any warnings. It says everything is safe.

**downloads guffins toolbar**

No warning. If the download was dangerous or suspicious, McAfee gives a warning and asks to block the download. But it appears to be fine with the toolbar. :/

**goes to conduit.com**

A message says that the site is asking to store data on my computer. Er, what data? Why? **is suspicious**

But McAfee says the site is safe. :\

Sooo...according to McAfee, it's actually in fact a safe site.

https://www.mcafeesecure.com/RatingVerify?ref=www.OurToolbar.com

https://www.siteadvisor.com/sites/https://guffins.ourtoolbar.com/?pip=false&premium=false&client_uid=2163597590&client_ver=3.6.2.168&client_type=IEPlugin&suite=true&aff_id=662-4&locale=en_au&ui=1&os_ver=6.1.1.0

They said the files they downloaded were 100% safe. If they say so. :rolleyes:

My computer and internet accounts got really messed up upon downloading Guffins, but perhaps it was just a coincidence...

Once, when I was an innocent 8 year old, I didn't even know about computer scams so I saw the Guffins add and I was like, "Oh, this looks cool!" So I downloaded it and it's just like this program where you take care of these pets. It wasn't like a total scam, it was actually quite fun. Though since I was 8 I can't remember now if it gave my computer any viruses.

Of course, just because one not-very-good anti-virus (McAfee) claims it's entirely safe, doesn't mean it is. Right now I have a registered version of "avast!" instead of McAfee.

After actually trying it out, it appears that it's not a virus, just spyware. The toolbar is annoying and acting like malware. It changed the browser settings without permission, it changed the home page to some useless search engine which is redirecting all search results, and according to the security software I have, the Guffins thing is attempting to track my Internet surfing, and it's sending stupid advertisements. Ugh.

So Guffins isn't a dangerous virus, just very annoying spyware that tracks you. Don't use it (unless you want to be tracked, sent dumb ads, and have your browser's search and home page messed up).

The Guffins home page says: "The Guffins toolbar offers convenient web search, homepage, and default search."

PPffftttt... :p "convenient". "Pain-in-the-neck" toolbar is more accurate.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back