Is it ok for a man to hit a woman?

TamaTalk

Help Support TamaTalk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TenmaYuuki

Reaction score
This topic is probably gonna be heated up intensely, but oh well...

Anyway, how I personally feel: nobody should induce any form of violence on others whatsoever, be it on males or females. Unless you're defending yourself.

Some additional pointers to add to my view:

• Imagine a scenario between husband and wife... if it's not okay for a man to abuse a woman, but apparently the other way around is acceptable, the husband should "take it like a man"? I fail to see the logic behind that argument :/
  • If you were a male defending yourself from an aggressive someone who tried to attack you verbally or physically, you shouldn't have to hold back just because they may be a female.
  • I would go as far as say that violence against anyone is not okay - not just limit it to women and children only. If I limited it to those two only, I'd likely be denying that violence can happen to men, too. Violence can happen towards anyone, really - regardless of gender, race, sexuality, religious association, whatever...

Something I see people forget when they talk about this is that it is actually different sometimes when a man hits a woman and a woman hits a man. It's not the same thing, regardless of cultural consequence.

And even though there is a difference, I'm still big on not hitting people period.

Last edited by a moderator:
Obviously, hitting isn't okay for anyone. A man shouldn't hit another man. A woman shouldn't hit another woman. A man shouldn't hit a woman, and same goes for the opposite.

I think the real question is, why is it more accepted when a woman hits a man, than the opposite?

First, it is important to considerate that the average man is taller and stronger than the average woman. The pain is stronger when the person who is hitting you is more powerful, right?

To me, it's also another stereotype teached to young boys.

The average ten years old girl is taller than the average ten years old boy. They have the same amount of muscles and their strengh is similar. But what do dads say to their young sons? ''You shall never hit a girl. Girls are fragile.''

A girl at preschool hits a boy? If the boy comes up crying to his father, the dad will say ''Come on, stop acting like a baby.'' If a boy hits a girl, then it's another story...

Any kind of abuse directed at a weaker person is wrong - either physical or mental abuse. - but there are plenty of people who bully - both adults and children - it's human nature.

It's wrong, but we are all human (alledgedly) ;)

Hitting is not okay, period, unless in the case of self defense to where one feels their life is in danger. Also in the form of punishment of a parent to a child, I think a whack on the butt once or twice, open-handed, is enough to get the point across that the child misbehaved. (But only in extreme circumstances should this be done. I don't, however, believe in using the belt, a switch, or anything of the sort.)

I think a whack on the butt once or twice, open-handed, is enough to get the point across that the child misbehaved. (But only in extreme circumstances should this be done).
I have to disagree with this... violence should never be used as a form of punishment. Not to count that it is also very degrading for the child.

I have to disagree with this... violence should never be used as a form of punishment. Not to count that it is also very degrading for the child.
From what I heard, it's illegal to spank a child in certain countries also, even if it's for the sake of punishment.

As i said, it depends on the situation. i was hit for punishment, but in ways I would never subject a child to. (I would end up with welts on my backside.) And i wouldn't mean for someone to hit for hurting, but more for scare. Sometimes time-outs and all that don't work. It didn't with me.

But I don't have children nor do i ever wish to have any, so my opinion all in all is somewhat moot. :p

As for spouses and such, no hitting at all.

As i said, it depends on the situation. i was hit for punishment, but in ways I would never subject a child to. (I would end up with welts on my backside.) And i wouldn't mean for someone to hit for hurting, but more for scare. Sometimes time-outs and all that don't work. It didn't with me.
Sure, violence could be an answer, I'll concede to that

though in the countries hitting children's not allowed, people seem to have reached the conclusion that violence isn't the only one :)

(don't hit kids)

Sure, violence could be an answer, I'll concede to that

though in the countries hitting children's not allowed, people seem to have reached the conclusion that violence isn't the only one :)

(don't hit kids)
In some places law enforcement can 'cane' a person who breaks the law. The thought of it makes me wince, and I've seen video of it before. I wonder what everyone's thoughts are of that?

I'm gonna get shot for saying this but generally females are more emotionally sensitive and they also tend to be less strong physically. I think it is worse for a man to hit a woman than it is for a woman to hit a man.

But nobody should hit each other at all; I'm just stating what I think is worse.

I'm gonna get shot for saying this but generally females are more emotionally sensitive and they also tend to be less strong physically.
Nobody's gonna chastise you... but what you said there is true though. They may be more emotionally sensitive in general, but even a man can have miserable moments...

I really don't think anyone should hit anyone.

However self defense is another story. I'd haul onto anyone regardless of race age or gender if they posed any threat to me.

No, it is definetly not okay, unless it's for self defense. But that, I see it as an extreme measure. Regardless of gender, nobody should hit anyone, unless for said reasons. :)

No one should hit anyone, unless it is in self defense. And only if they hit you first. And as far as a man hitting a woman, never. Men are usually much stronger than women, and don't know their own strength. Although there are some pretty strong women (I am one of them).

I'm reading lots of replies here and I have to admit that I find it difficult to understand why people say they think it's wrong to hit someone, but that it's ok to hit someone if they hit you first. (Sounds a bit like "Well, it's not my fault, he started it..")

If you truly believe hitting is wrong, then don't hit back (man or woman - I don't see there's a difference in the principle).

Don't lower yourself to their level.

Don't escalate the violence.

Self defence? Walk (or run) away.

Non violence.

Jesus Christ preached it.

Ghandi managed it and was instrumental in bringing down the British Empire in India.

Martin Luther King was inspired by it.

Aung San Suu Kyi was a prisoner in her own home for 15 years because of it.

(Non violence is not the same as Cowardice)

... maybe I am just old (and weary) and I have had my fill of aggression in this world :)

I'm reading lots of replies here and I have to admit that I find it difficult to understand why people say they think it's wrong to hit someone, but that it's ok to hit someone if they hit you first. (Sounds a bit like "Well, it's not my fault, he started it..")

If you truly believe hitting is wrong, then don't hit back (man or woman - I don't see there's a difference in the principle).

Don't lower yourself to their level.

Don't escalate the violence.

Self defence? Walk (or run) away.

Non violence.

Jesus Christ preached it.

Ghandi managed it and was instrumental in bringing down the British Empire in India.

Martin Luther King was inspired by it.

Aung San Suu Kyi was a prisoner in her own home for 15 years because of it.

(Non violence is not the same as Cowardice)

... maybe I am just old (and weary) and I have had my fill of aggression in this world :)
I truly see your point, and I agree that counterattack is just sinking to the same level as the attacker. I believe I could say I'm against violence, because violence is monstrous and should be avoided at all costs.

However I have never been in an attack situation, and it's hard for me to say now what I would do if I was attacked and had no chances of running away. If I could run I would, but let's say you're cornered, and can't run, or say your attacker pursues you, and you're not quick enough to get away...? I'd definately pray in such a situation, but still I think I'd be ready to counterattack just to get a chance to escape... It would not however be something I'd be proud of.

If I came into a situation where two people are fighting, I'd step in between them. The same goes for if one person is attacking another, but in such a case I'd also be ready to attack the attacker if that's the only way to protect the victim. This goes espicially for if someone close to me was attacked, such as a family member or friend. In such a case I'm however afraid I might loose my judgement and attack out of rage, but I deeply hope it wouldn't happen. I'd be so ashamed if I ever turned into such a monster.... I'd rather step in between, try to get the victim away from the place, and not resort to violence unless I truly saw no other way out. So I am against violence, but in extreme cases I might still be ready to use it, if violence so to say would be the only way to stop even more violence from taking place. If the attacker truly can't be stopped by peaceful means. In that case, either the victim will get hurt even more, or the attacker will get hurt. And if the choice was up to me, I know what I'd choose. But only if there is no other way out.

Would you also be ready to use violence, in a situation where for example a child is being attacked, and you can't escape the attacker, and stepping in between doesn't help?

I love the responses that are here. So, 21st Century like or something. Personally, I would avoid any violence as well. but if worse comes to worse, haul back. I love blocking/avoiding punches more than giving them anyway. It tends to anger them and makes me laugh.
Well, that doesn't sound sinister or anything. Wasn't supposed to. Oh well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back