Is the ON app being shut down?

TamaTalk

Help Support TamaTalk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

keithp

Reaction score
I heard the app is being shut down. Why would they do this when it’s the only way to marry rare characters? This day in age and expenses of tamagotchis, I see no reason future and current tamagotchi apps can’t link together and be kept on forever so we never lose our hard earned tama characters and can interact with older versions.

They also have a tendency to shut down former iterations of tamatown after new releases(although I was impressed with how long they supported the connection tamatown). It stinks, but oh well. That said, like iAm noted, there's no news on it(at least not that I've seen) only the Meets app

There is a particular PC program you can download for the On made by Mr. Blinky, so you could craft custom characters to breed with, if you like. I won't say more, but I feel that it's in line with the enwarehouse program and will be very useful to meets/on tama owners many many years after they do decide to discontinue the On app.
That said, I anticipate them keeping it around for a bit longer, specifically because the Pix doesn't have an online component aside from QR codes. They don't have something to replace the On app with except for that tamagotchi forever app.

Why would they do this when it’s the only way to marry rare characters? This day in age and expenses of tamagotchis, I see no reason future and current tamagotchi apps can’t link together and be kept on forever so we never lose our hard earned tama characters and can interact with older versions.
Unfortunately, that's not how business works, and it's why I feel that having toys that lean on (or sometimes outright require) guaranteed-to-be-ephemeral mobile applications is a poor practise. From a business perspective, they want you to be moving to their "latest and greatest" and so do the vendors of the otherwise-unrelated hardware that the toy has been tethered to, and many companies will employ fear-of-missing-out tactics in order to keep people and their wallets on the hook.

We can only hope that an increasing awareness of the environmental impact of encouraging a throwaway society (a sort of greed that is particularly prevalent in the mobile space, where people are constantly encouraged to "upgrade" from perfectly good hardware far too soon and far too often, and which has a knock-on effect when toys are made to rely on it) will help to change this in the future. People need to vote with their wallets on this front, though, because that's the only language that the vast majority of companies fully understand.

Anyway, as of right now, as @iAM and @Bentobuff noted, this is thankfully moot for the Tamagotchi On for the time being, and there are unofficial solutions that will be able to fill in when the app inevitably is shut down in the future. :smile2:

Latest posts

Back