Japanese basics to understand the Tamagotchi anime

TamaTalk

Help Support TamaTalk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think I'm gonna be taking a lot of notes in this thread.

Last edited by a moderator:
Itadakimasu (I forgot how it's spelled oops) - This is what characters say when they're about to eat; it's kinda like a thank-you for the food I think. ouo'
Yeah that's about right. : P

Time for another sentence :) This one is based on something Spacytchi says. After Neenetchi sits on Akaspetchi, Akaspetchi says nothing's wrong but he acts weird (because he gets a crush on Neenetchi oops). Spacytchi says, "Honto ni daijoubu desu ka?"

Anata wa honto ni daijoubu desu ka? This means "Are you really okay?"

Anata = You

Wa = Are

Honto = Really

Ni = ...Uh... not sure about this one.... it's just some kind of indicating particle

Daijoubu = Okay

Desu = Indicating end of sentence

Ka = End of question

You are really okay?
Something worth bearing in mind is that "anata", despite being a second-person pronoun, is rarely used - the better and generally more polite way of addressing someone by second-person is to use their name.

So something like:

ジョンさんは本当に大丈夫ですか? (JONsan wa hontou ni daijoubu desu ka?)

(Are you really okay, John?)

If you threw in "anata" between "JONsan" and "wa", it'd be redundant, since you've already established earlier whom you are addressing. Not to mention, it's more polite when using their name for second-person, as I stated earlier above.

I'm going to try to learn this stuff, I can't rely on Meloditchi's occasional english sentences forever XD

HIYA EVERYONE I'M BORED AND I MAY AS WELL SHARE MY KNOWLEDGE WOOP

PARTICLES owo

Wa = Refers to the subject of the sentence. Can be used as "am", "are", "is", etc.

ex. Watashiwa Supah Cow desu. = I am Supah Cow.

No = States ownership. Owner comes first before the object. Can be used as "'s".

ex. Sorewa anatano Tamagotchi desu. = That is your Tamagotchi.

Mo = Means "also".

ex. Watashiwa asagohan o tabemashita. = I ate breakfast.

Watashimo asagohan o tabemashita = I also ate breakfast.

De = Has 3 meanings.

1.) De is used as a means of transportation. Means of transportaion then de. Is commonly partnered with ikimasu which means go.

ex. Minasanwa kurumade ikimasu. = Everyone will go by car.

2.) De can be used as a means of doing something or what toll is involved when doing something.

ex. Anatawa hashide tabemasu. = I eat with chopsticks. / I eat using chopsticks.

3.) De can also state where the action happened. Place then de then action.

ex. Watashiwa heyade benkyo-shimasu. = I study at my room.

To = To can mean "and" or can be added to a noun to denote that you are accompanied by him/her/it.

ex. Watashiwa watashino tomodatchito ikimasu. = I will go with my friend.

Ni = This one's a bit complicated. I won't go too much here at is it is hard to explain but it is used as "to" or "from"

O / Wo = O or Wo indicates the object of a verb. Add this to the noun or object which is followed by the verb.

ex. Anatawa mizu o nomimashita. = You drank water.

-

Yay I haven't tackled the other particles in school yet soz. Anyways I'd like to add 2 more topics if that's fine uwu. I'm bored, you see.

SENTENCE STRUCTURE: SUBJECT, TIME & PLACE, OBJECT, VERB. The end. Cancel out any if there's none in the sentence.

yay one topic down. it's that easy :3

TENSES woop woop

Present/Future/Non-Past affirmative = Verb+masu

Present/Future/Non-Past negative = Verb+masen

Past affirmative = Verb+mashita

Past negative = Vern+masendeshita

The end. lels

ex. Watashiwa sakana o tabemasu = I will eat fish. / I am eating fish.

Watashiwa sakana o tabemasen = I will not eat fish. / I am not eating fish

Watashiwa sakana o tabemashita = I ate fish.

Watashiwa sakana o tabemasendeshita = I didn't eat fish.

-

YAYAYAY HOPE I HELPED POWER OF BOREDOM AWOO I CANT BELIEVE I WROTE ALL OF THAT WITH NO REFERENCE WOWEE K BAI.

Hey, that's helpful! Now all I need to know is how to say these following words:

• The
  • a
  • and
  • or
  • is
  • they
  • are
...article words are so hard to learn, aren't they?
Those words don't really exist tho

If i wanted to say "The cat" I'd say "Neko desu" But that also means "Thats a cat" or "He/she's a cat"

a few of these do exist, but what they mean really depend on the context of the sentence

So, I've been comparing the syllables between the Japanese (romaji) and English... Here are the results I found:

Japanese (romaji) --- English --- <# of JP Syllables> out of <# of EN Syllables>

• Ohayo/ohayou --- Good morning --- 3 and 3 out of 3
  • Sayonara --- Good-bye --- 4 out of 2
  • Matane/matashita --- Good-Bye (more pro-action) --- 3 and 4 out of 2
  • Sumimasen --- Sorry --- 4 out of 2
  • Gomen/Gomen nasai/gomen ne --- Sorry (in a quickie) --- 2, 4, and 3 out of 2
  • Onegai --- Please --- 3 out of 2
  • Gamba/gambaru --- Keep at it/Go for it --- 2 and 3 out of 3 and 3
  • Totemo --- Very/A lot --- 3 out of 2 and 2
  • Chotto --- Just a minute/a little bit --- 2 out of 4 and 4
  • Zutto* --- All the way/The whole time/Forever (basically) --- 2 out of 3, 3, and 3
  • Issho --- Together --- 2 out of 3
  • Shiawase --- Happiness/Good fortune/Blessing --- 3 out of 3, 3, and 3
  • Honto --- Truth/Really (sometimes) --- 2 out of 2 out of 2
  • Hayaku --- Quickly/Hurry --- 3 out of 2 and 2
  • Taihen --- Greatly (mainly)/Terrible/Serious --- 2 out of 2, 3, and 3
  • Himitsu --- Secret --- 3 out of 2
  • Oishii --- Delicious --- 2 out of 3
  • Suteki --- Lovely/Cool/Fantastic/Great/Awesome --- 3 out of 2, 1, 3, 2, and 2
  • Tomodachi --- Friend(s) --- 4 out of 2
  • Ashita --- Tomorrow --- 3 out of 3
* = So basically that's a wild card for anything related to the word "forever?"

* * * And don't forget these common words * * *

The Five W's and the H

• Nani --- What --- 2 out of 1
  • Itsu --- When --- 2 out of 1
  • Doko --- Where --- 2 out of 1
  • Doshite --- How/Why --- 3 out of 1 and 1
  • Nande/naze --- Why --- 2 and 2 out of 1
Strange. Where's the "who?" Oh well. It's basically for individual or thing identifications.

Other common words

• Matte --- Stop/Wait --- 2 out of 1 and 1
  • Watashi/boku/uchi --- I/Me --- 3, 2, and 2 out of 1 and 1
  • aita/aitata/ita --- Ow --- 2, 3, and 2 out of 1
  • Baka --- Idiot --- 2 out of 3
  • Demo --- But --- 2 out of 1
  • To --- And --- 1 out of 1
  • Wa --- Is --- 1 out of 1
  • Mo --- Too/(or) also --- 1 out of 1 and 2
It appears only a handful of words have the same syllables (as marked by underline). Yet, how does the structure work? Are they still based on lettering and must be combined one at the time just like with the English alphabet? What about the Japanese alphabet...? Okay, so I googled it and there aren't any "ABC" or "D." Just some two to three lettered words for the Japanese word system. And to top it off, the Japanese alphabet, appears to be greater than the 26 English alphabet. And the problem is, none of those words could match with the actual Japanese words...if you're able to translate them into letters.

So now let's talk about the words and the sentence assembly system. The Japanese (romaji) words seem to be practically the same as English, unless it's the Kanji lettering. Just put in the words and fashion them grammatically. Right? So if I want to say "but when?", I would say "demo itsu ka?" with an emphasis on the question mark.

Plus, some of them look like wild cards. So if they're just expression words, then they could mean anything what comes in your mind. These "wild card" Japanese words I found in this thread include:

• Dokidoki = Expression of heart beating fast. So it could "heart beating fast", "fast heart beat", "heart racing", and "heartthrob".
  • No = Indicates possessive. So if I say "TacticalMaster no book," that would mean "TacticalMaster's book," because the English sentence has the apostrophe 's,' yeah?
And then there are these "enders." Are they used a lot in the end of a Japanese romaji sentence structure?

• Desu = End of sentence
  • Ka = End of question
  • Ne = Emphasis, agreement, request for confirmation. Apparently also to be used in the middle of a sentence for saying like a "oh come on".
(Whoa, turns out there's only three? Because of this circumstance and the fact that they're ALWAYS used in the end of a Japanese sentence, I think these three are easy to use and remember. Heh heh...)

I also noted that most of the Japanese syllables used for building a Japanese word called "sh**e." I probably might expect that a lot. So if it doesn, what does it generally mean?

Learning a new language can sure take a time of dedication. Mostly a quarter off from college.

Now let's get to commenting to other users:

• Yoku = EMF: Yo / yoi which means good, with "ku" at the end which means uhh, I forgot how it works...but it's meant to have ku at the end in this type of sentence... or something ouo'Perhaps it's because of the "o" being the second letter, maybe it shouldn't be allowed, so that's why you added the ku? EMF?

[*]Ni = EMF: ...Uh... not sure about this one.... it's just some kind of indicating particle
  • Does it have to do with the next "d" word in your sentence, "Anata wa honto ni daijoubu desu ka?"? Or maybe it's the "o" before that? Maybe the number of syllables? (Honto = 2, daijoubu = 3)

Keeping these notes in my notebook, really helpful :D Having trouble keeping up with new stuff though lol

Strange. Where's the "who?" Oh well. It's basically for individual or thing identifications.
"Who" is "dare".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back