Just Pixels?

TamaTalk

Help Support TamaTalk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheWickedWolf

Reaction score
I'm assuming topics of this sort have been made before, however they all seem to have dwindled and died, and I do so hate to necropost. Be forewarned, this is the rambly-ranty sort of topic D;

Anyhoo.

I remember, a few years ago I was a huge fan of Tamagotchi, there being a huge craze for them at the time, so to speak. (I even had an account here, which I no longer have access to.) I suppose I just grew out of them, got bored as do all young girls with the latest fad. So yesterday I was a bit hungry for nostalgia, so I headed out and picked up a Tamagotchi Music Star for £5 or so on my way into town.

Well, my little Hitodetchi is pretty cute, I s'pose, but it's just not the same. I always found Tamagotchi to kind if blur the line between affection, as to a stuffed toy... and love like to a living, breathing animal. You're encouraged to care for and feel love towards your digital pet, but at the end of the day the batteries run out and I'm reminded it's just a series of pixels, it makes no difference what I do, it'll never love me back.

Maybe I'm just too grouchy now to enjoy simple things which used to make me happy (Quite a sad thing to hear from someone who's only just coming up to her 16th, haha), either way, my new Tama's cute, I'll keep her around for a while yet... but the magic, is kind of dead for me, at least.

Nothing I say here is to cause offence, it's all my opinion, being the cynical, overly-serious sort I am... so now I'd like to hear yours ^_^

Tamagotchi- game or pet?

It's a game... but it's fun and there should always be room for fun in your life ^_^

Video games are also just pixels and programming but they're fun too - so is watching TV or DVDs.

I enjoy raising tamas because I am always curious to see which character I will get when it evolves. :blink:

Yes, I completely agree. I just lost my love for my lil' tamas, and i thought, ( I'm coming up to 15) well, it's not worthwhile. But, by loving Tamas, I brought the love of Japan and all things Japanese for me. So thanks, Tamas. :rolleyes:

To me, they're like friends, but like... limited toy-friends?

There still always has to be a limit, even though I have nothing against being completley suced in and having soo fun while I'm playing. As TamaMum said:There should always be room for fun in your life. :rolleyes:

It's just a game to me now. Before, like you stated, there was some kind of "magic" to it..but it's just not the same. I like the exploring to see what character I'll get next, but now with all these guides and specific ways to get exactly what you want, I think it's taken the thrill out of it. ((Not saying that the guides to getting a certain character is not a good thing)) Not to mention I get bored after a good bit of generations....but I still go on to try and accomplish certain goals I have for the tams.

I still play with them though, to have the experience with them to see what I can get and how difficult it may be. I have yet to buy a Celebrity & Music Star.

~shawdy~ :furawatchi:

It's a virtual pet, so technically, both XD Anyway, it depends on how you look at it. I view Tamas as robotic pets (Mmmmm...robots. I love robots ^^), thus I enjoy them. But you may view them as just a toy. So, really, you can't outgrow a Tamagotchi, you can only think you have.

Last edited by a moderator:
To me, a Tamagotchi could be considered as both. Sure, it's pixelated, but it could be a great companion when you're bored. Also, when I was younger, I had really bad allergies and couldn't have pets, so this is a great way for youngsters to kind of have one, without all the pet dander and such. When it all boils down though, yes, it is still a toy...but an entertaining one at that. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back