Laws to tackle the discrimination of fat people?

TamaTalk

Help Support TamaTalk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ETHAN1994

TamaTalk Supporter
TamaTalk Angelgotchi
Reaction score
I saw this on the news a few months ago. I think it would be a good thing.

I've always known about the fact that there are people who get discriminated and tormented on the streets, at work, at school, at bars, restaurants, and night-clubs. But the fact that they are trying to get laws against it all made (like the laws against racial discrimination), it must be much worse than I thought. :huh:

Well, I know that's the case in the UK. But I'm pretty sure this kinda thing does happen in other countries too.

I think that's going a little overboard. It's a shame that people are being disrespectful, but being fat can be helped/prevented. So if a fat person is getting tormented maybe it would give them all the more motivation to get healthier.

The only people I've ever see actually torment someone for being fat would be kids.

You can't stop stupid people from being stupid. There will always be discrimination regardless of how many laws the government puts into play.

I think that people should be able to say whatever they what, even if its offending. I know fat people are often discriminated against, but what are they gonna do? Take away free speech?

A law's not gonna stop people from discriminating. Making drugs illegal doesnt stop people from taking them.

Agreed with RawryCakes.^

What happened to free speech? I know it's not right to be rude to people, but it's not healthy to be fat and we should be able to say whatever we want unless it's harassment.

Also, it's motivation for them to get healthier.

Agreed with RawryCakes.^What happened to free speech? I know it's not right to be rude to people, but it's not healthy to be fat and we should be able to say whatever we want unless it's harassment.

Also, it's motivation for them to get healthier.
I honestly don't see how insulting someone and being a general a** is supposed to motivate someone. In most cases it makes people feel worse and go for what comforts them(Food).

There's a huge difference between motivating someone to take better care of themselves than insulting them and making them feel horrible about themselves.

I think that it already is a 'law' in a way, but it isn't official and legal, because people would still discriminate. It's kind of hard to prove that somebody said a certain thing to you, and it happens so frequently, a lot of people could get away with it.

But you can already charge someone with harassment, or verbal abuse, cyberbullying, etc. Discrimination against 'fat' people is kind of specific.

But I still believe that people shouldn't be discriminated against because of their weight, I don't think it's right.

In the United States Constitution, it dictates that every person has a right to free speech. If government imposes a law that bans discrimination, that is taking away a right that our forefathers used to found this country.

Even if a person is being mean, you can't stop them from saying what they want to say. Yes, they shouldn't say it, but that's what people should be teaching their kids, not what the government should be punishing by law.

It's completely unreasonable. I don't even agree with racial discrimination laws. I'm freaking tired of seeing headlines-- "WHITE GUY KILLS A BLACK GUY." Because I feel that the reason behind the assault-- if it's because of discrimination of some sort, not a personal relationship thing/because the other person provoked them-- shouldn't really affect the punishment. Violence is violence. Just because they're the same color as you doesn't make it any more okay to harm them.

And as SK said, people are always going to find a reason to discriminate against others.

I do feel like this is imposing on my right to free speech, also previously stated by others.

I could go on and on about all the things that are wrong with these laws, but I think it's pretty obvious to most..

Last edited by a moderator:
Uh... Freedom of Speech doesn't mean you can say absolutely anything you want about any absolutely anything or any person :D

There are always limitations.

"Hate speech" for example; attacking or insulting ppl based on their social group - this includes their appearance as well as race, gender, sexuality, etc. or when that freedom of speech causes conflict with another person's human rights (causing harmful or offense).

I think the laws being discussed in the UK are to combat increasing discrimination against obese people - it's not to stop them being "tormented on the streets" B)

As far as I can tell (in the UK at least) the idea is to stop people making unfair judgements on obese people and to educate them about obesity. To change the view many of us have about obsese people - that they could do something about it if they just got up off their backsides and stopped eating, took exercise and got help, etc.

Sure, that applies to some ppl, but there are reports that obesity affects self-esteem, encourages rejection from friends and peers and discrimination from healthcare workers - in other words, many doctors or medical professionals simply assume and judge that the person lacks the willpower or personal integrity to take better care of themselves and dismisses them or talks down to them because they can't control their eating habits.

Many obsese ppl don't seek out healthcare until their conditions have progressed to disabling diseases and there are reports of Companies who are unwilling to offer health benefits to obese employees. That's discrimination.

This was on the news in the UK - so I don't even know if similar legislation is being considered in the USA... but don't fret, I don't think anyone is planning to take away the American's constitutional right to be as rude and anti-social as they want to be :p

I see what you're saying - that's what I meant by saying you shouldn't harass them.

I mostly agree with FeeBee about how people should be able to think and say what they want without the government telling them what to do. This doesn't mean go be an a** or discriminate against people, but to make a law against it is too weird. It won't stop people from discriminating anyway. People will think what they want.

Well,

Fat people made themselves fat.

Some discrimination is due to the color of a persons skin or their nationality, which they can't help.

Becoming Obese was their choice and their problem, so They should have to suffer the consequences, even if that means being made fun of.

Well,
Fat people made themselves fat.

Some discrimination is due to the color of a persons skin or their nationality, which they can't help.

Becoming Obese was their choice and their problem, so They should have to suffer the consequences, even if that means being made fun of.
Woah... wait :mimitchi:

Actually that is not true in every case - and unfortunately is a perfect example of how a lot of us judge obesity and how we automatically discriminate against obese people :D

Not all fat people "made themselves fat". For some (not all) obesity is not a choice. It's something that happens to them no matter how sensibly they eat and even if they take exercise.

That is a fact.

There are all kinds of Discrimination - and it is definitely not only against the colour of a person's skin or their nationality/religion.

We often discriminate against others based on their appearance - including obese people - and it is not something that an obese person should have to put up with.

Some people are overweight because they have a physical abnormality that doesn't stop hunger cravings after eating a normal meal and metabolisms that process fats and proteins incorrectly.

Result - obesity (and normal weight loss & exercise programs don't help).

This is not rare. It's actually pretty common, but we've spent so long judging people and dismissing the obese as people who just need to stop eating too much we've not taken the time to find out if there is more to it.

(Can you guess that I was someone who made those kinds of judgements about a friend's child for years - until I found out more about why her child couldn't lose weight normally and how common it is?) ;)

What the heck? :S

First off, if a law could even stop people saying these things anyway, why fat people? There are a million different other things humans would tackle instead - we're just naturally very judgemental people. And if the law was going to stop judgement in one area, I'd much rather it be racism or something that is a much bigger problem that people can never actually help. Fact is, truly obese people are very unhealthy. I'm not accusing them of bringing it all on themselves - often people do have a disorder, or it could be genetic, but I honestly think there are much worse forms of discrimination that should be stopped first.

People judge, and it's sad. But no laws will stop what others think or say to their friends.

And even if it does help, there are many bigger problems to deal with first, rather than something which, in many cases, people have brought on themselves. You eat twelve hamburgers a day, people may well talk badly about you. That's life, and although judging is wrong, there is an element of fairness to it. You have a genetic disorder and become obese, people may also talk badly about you. That's life, unfortunately, but learning to accept and love yourself is much more powerful than any government enforced law about obese discrimination.

^ I agree with Esther. What is happening isn't really discrimination either. It's just people being made fun of or ridiculed. It's sad, but a few silly laws won't stop it from happening.

Also, there are some issues where I think obese people should be treated differently. For example, on an airplane. A fat person buys one economy class ticket, and a slim person has to sit next to them. When the slim person gets to their seat, the realize that two thirds of it is already being sat in. I mean, thats just not fair. Why should slim people have to pay for another person's fatness? I think there should be a rule say if you are x amount of inches wide, you must buy two airline tickets. I'm not trying to be rude, I just don't think that its fair.

EDIT: And Tamamum, even if they have a problem, obesity still isn't healthy. For example, they shouldn't just say, "I have a metabolism problem and I'm obese. There is nothing I can do so.... I'll just watch T.V. all day." There are things that CAN be done to help them loose weight. And by all means, they should be.

I have a feeling that these laws are not all about them being made fun of, rather, things like jobs, and getting into colleges. You know, important things. I don't think these will really stop anything, but I'm happy that the government is trying to say that something should be done.

But honestly, it sounds like some of you haven't had anyone make fun of you for a while.

Let's say you didn't do well on a test in a subject that you struggle with and everyone else did really well, because they get the subject really easily.

Could you have done better? Maybe.

Does that give everyone the right to call you dumb? Should everyone who walks by you call you stupid? Point and laugh at you, or talk behind your back?

Sorry, but no. You were not deserving of any teasing or bullying whatsoever. It doesn't MATTER what you did, there isn't any justification in bullying. "Because it will make you smarter" is a horrible excuse.

Someone who has problems controlling their diet may (and probably are) strong in areas that you are not. Just because you have one aspect of your life more in control then they do does not mean that you are "worthy" of any better treatment. Because you aren't.

No, if peope are fat, they can go on a diet.

We don't need laws to encourage people to be overweight. O.O

I think that's going a little overboard. It's a shame that people are being disrespectful, but being fat can be helped/prevented. So if a fat person is getting tormented maybe it would give them all the more motivation to get healthier.
Sorry, but getting made fun of isn't going to motivate someone to change themselves. It's going to make it worse. If you do bad on a test, your teacher isn't going to tell you you're dumb and hopeless and expect you to get a good mark next time - they encourage you.

I wish people would stop saying "oh they can go on a diet", because obviously, it's not that easy. If it was, obesity would not be an issue. Besides, most obese people usually have some sort of underlying psychological reason for overeating, weather it be a negative past experience where they turned to food for comfort, or even it just became some sort of an addiction. Sometimes these people just lose control over how they eat and just don't want to try anymore - it's not always a factor of laziness. It's hard to get motivated to lose weight, and if someone were to let themselves go that much, it's not something you're proud of so it's hard to change. It's like breaking a habit - it's almost a routine that's been implanted into your brain - you're so used to doing it that it's hard to quit.

Though I see good intentions with this "law", it's obviously not going to go over well. Authority can't even try to patrol our judgement, because it happens so often everyday - the problem isn't that we need a higher figure to tell us what's right and wrong and to set consequences for us, the problem is that we as people, can't seem to fathom the fact we may be hurting someone, and it's a case of personal learning to see that this isn't right. We need to educate people (kids especially) that there isn't perfection in anyone, and we're no better than anyone else - you don't need a law to understand that discrimination of any kind is bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back