Literary Classics

TamaTalk

Help Support TamaTalk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am currently reading Harry Potter but plan to read more classics this year.

I am currently reading Harry Potter but plan to read more classics this year.
Oh, really? Do you have any in mind? :D Harry Potter is awesome! Sadly, Harry Potter is not considered a classic yet (as discussed previously in this thread), nor do I think it will be for a very long time. Here's hoping!

I'm going to be starting A Tale of Two Cities sometime soon, for leisure reading. It's one of my favorites. I've also had the urge to read The Secret Garden.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just found my copies of The Decameron, Dante's Inferno, and The Aeneid. I'm so excited to start reading them! :)
Dante’s Inferno. <3 I need to read that again!

I just finished reading The Catcher in the Rye last night. It was...Alright, I guess. I wasn't a huge fan of the writing style, but...IDK, there was something about it that I liked.
Love Catcher in the Rye. So good. The writing style was a bit weird but once I got used to it, I totally felt like I knew Holden.

I’ve got a soft spot for Heart of Darkness - Joseph Conrad. A short novella but quite a dense book to read. Really like it though.

I am currently reading Shogun by James Clavell. I just love getting lost in 1500's Japan - the samurai, the culture, the honor....... This is my second time reading it and I only see now how much I have missed reading it the first time. Then, my all time favourite classic is Pride and Prejudice and I read it once a year. I love the old English language, they had such beautiful ways of saying things, Lizzie's unconventionality, the humor, the romance..... and Jane Austen is of course a master writer in my opinion. :D

I am currently reading Shogun by James Clavell. I just love getting lost in 1500's Japan - the samurai, the culture, the honor....... This is my second time reading it and I only see now how much I have missed reading it the first time. Then, my all time favourite classic is Pride and Prejudice and I read it once a year. I love the old English language, they had such beautiful ways of saying things, Lizzie's unconventionality, the humor, the romance..... and Jane Austen is of course a master writer in my opinion. :D
I love getting immersed in a culture and time period. :) I agree about Pride and Prejudice. That's one of my favorites of Austen's. I just got The Arabian Nights, always wanted to read that. I also recently acquired Charles Dickens: 5 Novels (including A Tale of Two Cities, my favorite of Dickens'). I'm so excited to read everything!

I love Classics. Some of my favourites:

Sense and Sensibility

Emma

The Odyssey

Chrismas Carol

Taming of the Shrew

Hamlet

Wuthering Heights - not my favourite, the story lacks a bit

Reading for school right now:

Othello

Macbeth

Persuasion

I have shelves upon shelves of classics

I'm reading Don Quixote by Miguel de Cervantes at the moment. I love this book, even if it's long.

My favorite books of all time though would have to be the Oz Chronicles. I'm barely done with the first volume, but I intend on reading the others.

Why does everyone hate Lord of the Flies? I love that book. We read in my english class and everyone gave it a thumbs down. I enjoyed it.

Would A Clockwork Orange be considered a literary classic? I don't know, because I want to read it sometime.

I'm reading On The Road by Jack Kerouac right now.

It's absolutely beautiful, I'm in love with his writing style.

I'm reading Don Quixote by Miguel de Cervantes at the moment. I love this book, even if it's long.

My favorite books of all time though would have to be the Oz Chronicles. I'm barely done with the first volume, but I intend on reading the others.

Why does everyone hate Lord of the Flies? I love that book. We read in my english class and everyone gave it a thumbs down. I enjoyed it.

Would A Clockwork Orange be considered a literary classic? I don't know, because I want to read it sometime.
I personally loved Lord of the Flies as well. I had no idea a considerable amount of people don't really enjoy it. To each his own though! Regarding A Clockwork Orange: that's a good question. I've always wondered about classics and what makes them so. I think it has to do with a lot of things. Literary classics transcend time and space. In other words, their stories are of lasting interest and they do so to all sorts of readers. I don't want to say there's a "time minimum" for a work to become a classic, but since classics usually are characterized by lasting readability, most books considered to be classics have been around for at least 50 years or so. Themes should be universal to a good extent and the books often have characters to which many people can relate. It should have a well-developed plot. Popularity and genre don't have anything to do with it. If you feel that some of these apply to your book, it probably is a classic (or will be someday :) ). Whether or not a book is considered to be a literary classic, I'd definitely dive into it anyway!

Hm, my favorite classics are probably all the ones we read last year in english class. These were: The Lord of the Flies, Of Mice and Men, Great Expectations, Romeo and Juliet, and The Odyssey. The Lord of the Flies is DEFINATELY my favorite out of these. I just like the messages and symbolism in it, and once you understand it, it's a huge "AHA!" moment.

The only classic I can remember that I LOVED reading was The Secret Garden. :)

Hm, my favorite classics are probably all the ones we read last year in english class. These were: The Lord of the Flies, Of Mice and Men, Great Expectations, Romeo and Juliet, and The Odyssey. The Lord of the Flies is DEFINATELY my favorite out of these. I just like the messages and symbolism in it, and once you understand it, it's a huge "AHA!" moment.
A lot of the classics I like right now are also a result of having read them in high school. :) The ones you listed are among my favorites. Especially Dickens, can't get enough of his works.

The only classic I can remember that I LOVED reading was The Secret Garden. :)
I have this book! I loved reading it as well.

Does "Misery" count as a classic?
Hmm...that's a good question. Stephen King, right? Well, I'm not one to determine which ones are or aren't classics, but I'll refer you to a post I made in this topic a couple of days ago that might help you out:

I personally loved Lord of the Flies as well. I had no idea a considerable amount of people don't really enjoy it. To each his own though! Regarding A Clockwork Orange: that's a good question. I've always wondered about classics and what makes them so. I think it has to do with a lot of things. Literary classics transcend time and space. In other words, their stories are of lasting interest and they do so to all sorts of readers. I don't want to say there's a "time minimum" for a work to become a classic, but since classics usually are characterized by lasting readability, most books considered to be classics have been around for at least 50 years or so. Themes should be universal to a good extent and the books often have characters to which many people can relate. It should have a well-developed plot. Popularity and genre don't have anything to do with it. If you feel that some of these apply to your book, it probably is a classic (or will be someday :) ). Whether or not a book is considered to be a literary classic, I'd definitely dive into it anyway!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back