Local phrases

TamaTalk

Help Support TamaTalk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
All that I could think of really was something that a friend of my mother told me as a kid, she was from Australia and told me that "Fairy Floss" was the name for Cotton Candy. I always thought that it was sweet ^_^

the only thing that I can think of here is something like "I will ninja kick you in the face" or "punch a goat" instead of that pisses me off, but that's not really awesome and totally stupid really XD

I was pming Oscar, and I used a totally british prase, and then I started saying loads of them and getting him to guess what they meant.
So, any phrases you use often that is specific to your country/area?

For moi:

Batch-A roll or bap

Gutties: Running shoes

Footie: Football

Bob's your uncle: There you are

Deep Sea Diver: a fiver

A fiver: five pound note

Cobblers: Shoe menders, nonsense

Jammy: lucky

Jitty: The alleyway connecting two streets

Lav/Lavy: Toilet

Up the apples and pears: Up the stairs
Isn't that also known as "the loo?" xDD

Here it is. But can't think of any more right now. :/

Slang from Australia, South Australia and my school

Minda - Iunno whether I should put this one in as the origin is a little sensitive, but it's what you call someone if they do something stupid (Alice you're such a minda!)

Ranga - short for Orangutan, someone with red hair (In the sunlight you look like a ranga)

Unco - short for uncoordinated (I dropped my phone in the toilet! I'm so unco)

Noms - Food (I need some noms)

Emu - when someone's being a misery, we kinda killed emo... (Stop being such an emu)

Kinky - just about anything can be kinky, from bird in spring ( ;] ) to a teachers new glasses (I got new school socks! Kinky.)

there are more but they're too naughty for TT

There are so many, but I'm familiar with:
BYO - Bring Your Own.

Chokkie - Chocolate.

Dead Horse - Tomato Sauce.

G'day - Hello.

Jumbuck - Sheep.

Mate - Friend.

Mozzie - Mosquito.

Veg Out - Relax in front of the TV.

Yabber - Talk a lot.

That's some. There are waaaaaay more I know, but they're all either inappropriate or just somewhat offensive to others.
You forgot dunny!

Also, well, more in my class, add -er to the end of every verb, and it becomes french.

Ex:

Walker

Eater

Stoper

By the way -er is pronounced 'ay'

^ I don't say eh, I say B. Get it? xD It's my horrible joke that actually amuses my friend.
I get it XD I don't actually say it either, it just seems so related to our country..

Ksenia- Do you say barbie, for barbeque? Because I heard that's what Australians say. ;]

My class has some:

-TEHE!

-Fail, or Win

-Gigi (I started that one!)

-any french word with R, we say the R as an L because we suck at R's

And nationally, we say the letter 'Z' in the alphabet like "Zed" not "Zee" ;D

Yeeees, Tessy, we say barbie :)

And Alanimal, I'm from SA too. About the minda thing --- I once daw a YouTube channel and their name was Minda, and I cracked up 8D

Lol, so anyway... yeah, minda is a terrible word here. There's this type of association for mentally disabled people, and it's called 'MINDA', so people use it as an insult which is quite sad, really.

AND WEIWEI! SHIZZLE! I FORGOT OUR LOVELY WORD; DUNNY! Lawl, yeah. Dunny is like, the toilet in the outback in Aus.

I get it XD I don't actually say it either, it just seems so related to our country..Ksenia- Do you say barbie, for barbeque? Because I heard that's what Australians say. ;]

And nationally, we say the letter 'Z' in the alphabet like "Zed" not "Zee" ;D
We Kiwi's say Barbie.

And Zed.

:)

I'm pretty sure I have a lot, but you get so used to them you forget. I'll look out for some. (I live in America)

What I remember:

We say soda, not pop

Little kids say potty instead if toilet.

We say grill more often than barbeque

Yeeees, Tessy, we say barbie :)And Alanimal, I'm from SA too. About the minda thing --- I once daw a YouTube channel and their name was Minda, and I cracked up 8D

Lol, so anyway... yeah, minda is a terrible word here. There's this type of association for mentally disabled people, and it's called 'MINDA', so people use it as an insult which is quite sad, really.

AND WEIWEI! SHIZZLE! I FORGOT OUR LOVELY WORD; DUNNY! Lawl, yeah. Dunny is like, the toilet in the outback in Aus.
What was that Christmas song that people change?

Like, about cutting off the teachers head and flushing it down the dunny or something?

I laughed when I read that part of your post lol.

What about, like, cuppa [Cup of tea]. and lippy [Lipstick]?

They're fun :)

^^ xD. I forgot that song completely. It's gone out of my mind. I don't remember the tune even. I'm just terrible. But I know what you'e talking about :)

Apparently Australians say ''Gabba'' for this weird cricket ground thing. I just like that because it reminds me of Yo Gabba Gabba.

But here's a whole website, full of Aussie slang and stuff. I'm not familiar with all of it, and I can definately say that not everybody goes around saying this all the time...

https://www.koalanet.com.au/australian-slang.html

We say iceblock instead of popsicle. It's a lot easier, in my view. And we say fizzy too, and not pop or soda. Or we say lemonade.. for every fizzy/pop/soda drink.

The Cup - Stanley Cup

Inuit - Eskimo

South of the border - America

Pop - Soda

Two-Four - Pack of beer with 24 bottles/cans

Double-Double - Coffee with double cream and sugar

Toque - Winter Hat

Hydro - Electricity

Chesterfield - Couch

Poutine - Fries with gravy and cheese on top (They're delicious. :3)

Serviettes - Napkins

Newfie - Someone from Newfoundland

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back