My friend wants to quit smoking...

TamaTalk

Help Support TamaTalk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zwitterfly

Reaction score
One of my best friends got addicted to cigarettes shortly after I did. Fortunately, I quit four months ago and I'm not going back. But anyway, I've been trying to help her quit; she asked me to. I know how hard it is to quit and I know that cravings can be overpowering, but I tried to help her as much as I can. But I did something horrible when I found out she gave in. I beat her up.

My anger issues are one thing I have to deal with, but I feel really bad and I still really want to help my friend. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to help my friend without losing my temper?

Give her chewing gum. Every time she has a craving tell her to chew the gum.

If gum doesn't work try carrot sticks or a lollipop - they feel more like a cigarette.

Tell her to get patches.

Never beat her up again.

You can get in serious trouble for that.

Nicotine patches are good for a while. I had one when I was in the hospital. It didn't take the craving away all together, but it helped keep it down a bit.

Well, don't beat her up again, for starters. And then, if she's not talking to you, apoligize, buy her something nice, and be sincere.

Then actually help her through it--advise her to chew gum, etc. My gran got over smoking with popcorn, actually.

My mum's quiting cigarettes at the moment and she uses patches. Try and control your anger. I myself have poor anger management but I just try to picture something that makes me feel better. eg. I want to hit someone so I might picture a bunny rabbit (who doesn't feel calm when thinking of bunnies?!). eg.2. I still want to hit someone so I might picture myself going all out crazy and discovering strength I don't have and throwing them across the school yard.

I hope your friend quits and I hope they aren't too angry at you for beating them up.

ST ^_^

Last edited by a moderator:
Firstly, beating your friend up for "giving in" was very wrong, especially at a time when she does need help. I'm trusting that you know that now, and you're sorry. I hope you won't do something like that to her again.

I don't know much about this matter, other than that I'm pleased your friend is giving up. Smoking is absolutely vulgar, and very damaging to your health, but sadly it can be addicting. I have never done it myself and never will, either, but I'll recommend patches - anything to help her! Even if they don't work, it's worth a shot. :)

~bratztroxg

If you ever feel your going too hit someone walk away. I sugest seeing a special doctor they can help you work out what is making you feel angry all the time. My grandparents smoke they try to quit but they are too badly addicted. if your friend dosen't like Nicotine gum try normal gum people sometimes smoke when they are board so gum can help also eating healthy things (fruit and veg) so their mouth is doing something. and patches are good to use as well.

:lol: :wacko: :ph34r: :) :D :angry: :) :p :mimitchi: :angry: :nazotchi: :kusatchi:

Like most of the other suggestions said, try Nicotine gum or those patches.

It's pretty hard to stop smoking

I realized just how disgusting it was and quit

I was chewing gum for about a month

And now I'm totally cig - free.

And beating up your friend was horrible

You could get in a lot of trouble

Do what my dad.

Just quit. He took nothing to help him quit. He just stopped.

Do what my dad.
Just quit. He took nothing to help him quit. He just stopped.
Um, it's not that easy to quit a drug. Even if he did, there is like a 1% chance that will work for the majority of many people. It's an addictive drug. I suggest next time, not putting that because as I said, it won't work for many people, and most likely it won't work for her friend.

1. Do not beat her up again. I can understand that anger can be overpowering, but as you said, she is addicted. She can't help herself, try to remember that.

2. I suggest trying to see a doctor and hear any medical recommendations if you can't think of any. Though it seems a lot of people have given you great suggestions. What did you do to quit? Perhaps you can also use your method to help your friend.

Hope that helps

♣Carly♣Quinn♣

Um, it's not that easy to quit a drug. Even if he did, there is like a 1% chance that will work for the majority of many people. It's an addictive drug. I suggest next time, not putting that because as I said, it won't work for many people, and most likely it won't work for her friend.

1. Do not beat her up again. I can understand that anger can be overpowering, but as you said, she is addicted. She can't help herself, try to remember that.

2. I suggest trying to see a doctor and hear any medical recommendations if you can't think of any. Though it seems a lot of people have given you great suggestions. What did you do to quit? Perhaps you can also use your method to help your friend.

Hope that helps

♣Carly♣Quinn♣
If my dad can do it, ANYONE can. He is human just like EVERYBODY else.

If my dad can do it, ANYONE can. He is human just like EVERYBODY else.
Right, but not everyone has the same will power and might require other methods to quit than your father. Everyone's different, you should know this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back