New Hamster!

TamaTalk

Help Support TamaTalk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Broken~Wings

Reaction score
My mom just came back from Arkansas, where my Uncle Danny's second funeral was held, and brought me back a hamster in a small trash can with a small food and water bowl. She got it from my Aunt Linda who breeds and raises hamsters, ans Linda told me she would bring me one sopme time. Well, I already have a hamster named Marble, she's a dwarf hamster, and the new one (who does not yet have a name might I add, and she is a girl!) is alot bigger than her. Well, I knew it was a horrible idea, but my mom walked in my room, opened up my little hamsters cage, and put the new one right in there, and they fought, so we seperated them (I knew they would fight, but she wouldn't listen!) Well we bought them seperate cages and everything, and there cages are sitting right next to each other, so that they can see each other and not attack. Is there anything else I can do to get them warmed up to each other?

Broken~Wings

I'm betting the other one is a Syrian hamster, right? They are solitary animals. Just keep them in seperate cages. :D

I'm betting the other one is a Syrian hamster, right? They are solitary animals. Just keep them in seperate cages.  :D
See thats what I'm comfortable in doing, I'm actually afraid to put them together. We don't know what kind of hamster the new one is, my mom forgot, we'll have to call Linda and ask.

Broken~Wings

Last edited by a moderator:
You cant put them together. Thats all I need to say.

If they do get along, be careful...my cousins dwarfs got along...and then all that was left of one of them was a head. xD

It was so sad- my friend brought home a dwarf hampster and put him and the other two bigger hapsters together. The big hammie took a chunk out of the little one and the dwarf hammie died. :[

It was heart braking!

Give them another week to be separated then slowly let them see each other in their cages, then they might warm up to each other. Man, everyone has a hamster now! I gotta get one!

Give them another week to be separated then slowly let them see each other in their cages, then they might warm up to each other. Man, everyone has a hamster now! I gotta get one!
LOL, well I've had one since I was maybe seven or eight, but they died and everything, but thats what age I started taking care of hamsters. ;)

Broken~Wings

I used to have hamsters, but they all died. One died of old age, others just... died.

I like gerbils best, but hamsters are cuter than gerbils and they're so friendly!

C~M

There are a heap of hamster topics around... hmm..

Anyway, they were probably fighting to gain domanence over eachother. With hamsters and guinea pigs, there has to be someone in charge. Or more than likely they were scared of eachother.

When I got a new guinea pig when I introduced them to eachother I got two buckets (see-through ones), a big one and a little one, and out the little bucket in the big one. I put one guinea pig in the middle bucket and the other in the area between it. I got them used to eachothers looks first. Then after that you should put them in seperate cages with wire and put them directly next to eachother. They will then be able to hear, smell, and see eachother.

After having them used to each other in sperate cages for 2-4 days, they should know eachother and not see the other as a threat.

When you put them in the same cage, you could also cut an icecream container into a house type thing, but make sure the hole is only big enough for the little one to get in.

For the first few minutes of them being in the same cage keep a close eye on them, because if they start fighting because one is taking over the other's territory, you will need to seperate them again because it can become dangerous for both hamsters.

If you can't get them in the same cage without fighting, it is best to seperate them permanently.

My hamster went missing for a week then we found him, well out other hamster hasent liked him scince, both of them have cuts, bangs, and scabs all over. I say keep them apart unless you want one fat fat hamster. ^.~

My mom just came back from Arkansas, where my Uncle Danny's second funeral was held, and brought me back a hamster in a small trash can with a small food and water bowl. She got it from my Aunt Linda who breeds and raises hamsters, ans Linda told me she would bring me one sopme time. Well, I already have a hamster named Marble, she's a dwarf hamster, and the new one (who does not yet have a name might I add, and she is a girl!) is alot bigger than her. Well, I knew it was a horrible idea, but my mom walked in my room, opened up my little hamsters cage, and put the new one right in there, and they fought, so we seperated them (I knew they would fight, but she wouldn't listen!) Well we bought them seperate cages and everything, and there cages are sitting right next to each other, so that they can see each other and not attack. Is there anything else I can do to get them warmed up to each other?Broken~Wings
nope! sorry hamster just don't like hamsters they DO like humans though, some hamsters are the social breed and they like to be together but some just arent and they never will be :lol: so sad. but on the other hand now u have two hammies to love and cherrish!! ;) i just got a hammy last week... ;) oh no i forgot to clean his cage!! brb! ok im back! so as i was saying i just got a new teddy bear hamster and mabey u can pm so we can talk about them :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back