Over Controlling?

TamaTalk

Help Support TamaTalk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NeverEnding A.B.Y.S.S.

Reaction score
Around here, you have to be ACCEPTED into a high school. I know what one I want to go to. We went to their open house today, and my dad was unimpressed. He wants me to go to another high school, and claims I will be better off there.

Well guess what? I'll be better off where I am HAPPY.

He says, "Oh well I want you to go HERE."

IT IS NOT ABOUT HIM.

Any ways to say that, nicely? Or convince him?

Do you have any over controlling parents?

One time I was over my friends house, and we went up to a /busy/ plaza, which was about, less than a BLOCK a way, it was up the street. And my dad was all mad.. I was like, wtf, we went to buy syrup.

You have to be accepted to High schools/Middle schools here as well.

My dad and mom are royal rat *censored*s But not like that. I guess after 14 years they just don't care anymore xD

It's OK. My dad doesn't like me wearing tank tops or Strapped dresses, and constantly makes fun of my weight.

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe your Dad isn't trying to control you. Maybe he is thinking more clearly about your future than you?

Choosing a High School based on where you will be happy is nice... but I suggest choosing a High School that has a good rep and one that will give you a good education and enable you to apply and be accepted at a good college and hopefully enable you to get a job you will be happy with.

(Maybe that is what your Dad means by "you will be better off")?

All you are thinking about is the next few years and if you will be happy.

Maybe he is thinking about college and a degree and a sound future.

Let's face it - the way the financial crisis is hitting the USA and many other countries, there's going to be a lot of competition for jobs in a few years time. Maybe your Dad just wants to give you the best chance.

... and please don't say you don't care about it...

You don't NEED money to be happy. You don't NEED a good job to be happy.

But I promise you, a good job - that you enjoy doing - is a better thing than having to get up every weekday to go to a job you hate because it is all you are qualified for.

Even better, a well paid job allows you to treat yourself to that new game or new laptop or new ipod or what not that other ppl can't afford because they need it to pay their rent.

Just saying.. there's a lot more to it than "controlling" you :)

Last edited by a moderator:
My grandpa is like that.

His way is always right no matter what you say/want, and if you don't do exactly as he says he holds a grudge over you. Currently he's holding a 7 year grudge over me for quitting the bagpipes when I was 12.

My grandparents practically raised me. My mom was always at work, so I was always over there. I had to and still have to live up to the 'perfect grandchild' role they put me in. Sitting on my pedestal pretending nothing has ever gone wrong in my life.

Now I don't see them so often, so when I do all he talks about is, 'when I'm going back to school', 'why I'm not in school now', 'what school am I planning to go to', 'why don't I get a better job', 'how my cousins are in school for piloting and fire fighting', and 'how my job isn't suitable for a young girl'.

It's not even so much talking. It's him ranting and me nodding and trying to ignore it.

I understand feeling like you're being controlled, but I have to agree with Tamamum. Although you prefer the other school, he might have looked up information about this other school and it had better reviews.

But I promise you, a good job - that you enjoy doing - is a better thing than having to get up every weekday to go to a job you hate because it is all you are qualified for.
I completely agree with her quote, as I'm living proof of it.

You don't NEED money to be happy. You don't NEED a good job to be happy.
Well yea, you don't NEED it, but it sure does help A LOT. But anyway, you need to look on the bright side, and just accept that high school, because hopefully it will give you a better education. Most adults, once they've decided something, will NOT be swayed my a kid, so it's best not to make them angry by arguing.

We don't have to be accepted.

I see you are a very good member, but I cannot help you if you don't tell me what. What was up about the school that made your dad say no? Do you need help in certain courses? One school may offer, one may not.

What about the crime rate in the town of that school? Is it okay, not a lot of criminals or the polar opposite?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back