Questions regarding Filipino Traditions....

TamaTalk

Help Support TamaTalk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Charleene

Reaction score
All right. So, my brother in law married a filipino women, they just had a little girl together and when they were deciding on names she insisted that the baby have her maiden name as her middle name. She says it is filipino tradition to do this, but I know a couple other filipino mothers who have never heard of this. She also insists that for the first 6 months after the baby is born that the grandmother is supposed to take the baby and care for it entirely for the first 6 months. Once again, this sounds a bit odd to me so I ask my filipino friends and none of them have heard of this. So, I am looking for some answers to these questions from people who know the filipino traditions when it comes to naming the newborns and who is to care for the newborns. Im not talking about traditions 100 years ago, Im talking about traditions that are still alive today (even if they arent widely known).

So, is it true that when a filipino child is born, the childs middle name is supposed to be the maiden name of the mother?

And is it true that when a filipino baby is born that the grandmother is supposed to care for the baby in all its entirety for the first 6 months?

Thanks to anyone who can help me on this. I tried to post this on neopets but of course all I got was the normal "You cant post non-neopets related questions here!" stuff.

I have spent the last 3 days looking for this info online lol you name the site and I have already been there....twice. Google is my friend, but sometimes google doesnt even have the answers.

Have you tried ask.com?

It might come up with better results if the specific thing is asked.

I wouldn't be surprised if she would just be saying that. Sue's gullible enough to believe it as far as I've seen.

I tried Ask as well, but nothing came up. And she probably is just saying that.

So far the only person who seems to care about that baby is me. Im sure grandma and mom and dad love her, but no one actual gives a rats patooty about her well being.

Mom ships her off to grandma every chance she gets saying, "Its grandmas job for the first 6 months!" anytime someone questions why she never takes care of her baby, dad gets home from work and wants grandma to take her the second he gets home so he can relax, and grandma insists that the baby can hold up her own head and support it just fine on her own at 1 week old, which is impossible, and carries her around as if she can which can hurt the baby if she moves wrong. If the baby is crying at night, dad just goes out to the RV and sleeps out there to get away from it, mom just lets her cry, and grandma ends up having to take care of her. Her sleep schedule is completely backwards cause mom wants her to sleep all day so she can do what SHE wants to do and then leave the baby with grandma all night so that she can get some sleep. No. That isnt how it works (I know, Im ranting, Im almost done). And I dont mind the whole middle name thing, they can name their child whatever they think is a good name, but I was just curious about wether it was tradition or not because she goes around claiming it is (along with a million other things I have never heard of) and it just seems a bit odd cause none of the other filipinos I know have ever heard of that lol. So yeah, trying to figure out what the real traditions are so I can inform grandma that is it NOT her job and she shouldnt feel bad telling them no every once in a while. She feels bad because thats how the moms mom did it for her when she had her first baby, but you know the story behind that one lol. Anyways, done ranting.

So anyone know if its true about this 6 month thing or the middle name thing? If you have filipino parents, ask them lol I really wanna know!

According to Wikipedia:

The vast majority of Filipinos follow a naming system which is the reverse of the Spanish one. Children take the mother's surname as their middle name.

I guess that tradition is true.

I couldn't find anything about the Grandma taking care of the baby.

Sorry. ):

Last edited by a moderator:
It sounds like she is an awful mother. Selfish and lazy.

I know someone who has had 2 Phillippino mail order brides and as for care of those children, it was traditional. Grandmother is not involved in such a way. This first 6 months thing sounds like complete BS. The first 6 months is the hardest time, of course a lazy horrible mother will try to pawn off the kid on someone else.

This woman sounds horrible.

Well I'm Filipino and my middle name is my mom's maiden name. I know a lot of people in my family with those middle names.

I don't really know about the 6 months thing, so I asked my dad xD He said not really.. but it looked like he was unsure ;P

Yeah, I think what people are saying is true. Som of these might be true, but the grandmother part is probably just a lie.

I agree with Mothra as well :angry:

... I would hate to spendthe first 6 months of my child's life away from him/her! :[

Thank you guys! I knew I could count on the TT members to help me out with this lol. And yes Mothra, I agree 110% to everything you said. Her and her husband are lazy as can be, it seems like they didnt even want the child although the husband wanted this child soooo badly (he was 30 and desperate to settle down).

Anyways....you guys get the point hehe. Thank you for the info on the middle name you guys, I am thinking the 6 month thing is a lie as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back