Recluses

TamaTalk

Help Support TamaTalk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TenmaYuuki

Reaction score
In case you're not familiar with the meaning of the term, it pretty much refers to people who withdraw from society completely and confine themselves within their rooms. If they go outdoors, they only do it once in a blue moon.

Some other terms:

-Hermit

-Shut-in

-Hikikomori (Japanese; literal meaning: pulling inward; being confined. Being a recluse isn't restricted to Japan though)

-Agoraphobe

We all might have heard about the hikikomori phenomenon one way or another (that term is pretty much the reason I came to be familiar with the term "shut-in") - it's a serious issue, and should be treated as such; blaming it on the educational system of Japan (not unlike most other Asian nations') as well as peer pressure to succeed, for the emergence of the phenomenon.

So what is your verdict on shut-ins? Do you personally know anyone who is a shut-in themselves, or close to being one? Got a shut-in story of your own to share?

Last edited by a moderator:
In all honesty I'm kind of a shut in. I go outside from time to time, but I definitely enjoy being inside a lot more. I'll stay indoors for 2-3 weeks at a time, sometimes more, so i guess that makes me kind of a shut in.

I'm somewhat reclusive myself as well. I only go out to go to work, really. Sometimes to a friend's house, maybe once a week if at all. Basically if I don't have to leave the house for any reason, then I won't, mostly because I have plenty to keep me busy.

I myself am rather reclusive; my mum prefers to call it "anti-social" despite the fact I talk to friends online, because it's "not the same as being in person" I'm perfectly happy by myself in my room, the internet is all I need really. If I don't have to leave, then I won't.

I almost never leave the house unless I have to. All the IRL friends I had moved away years ago so now I only talk to people online. Once a year I go to an anime convention with my boyfriend and that's the only time I willingly socialize with people.

To be honest, with the internet these days, I think almost everyone is a shut-in to some degree.

I'm not a shut-in, but do live out in the country, as opposed to the city. I really don't like city life any more, with all the people, crime, pollution, and all the ills that city life offers. I agree with Sonic that thanks to the Internet, people don't get out as much as they used to. However, with the deterioration of society, I think it is better to stay closer to home. You never know when some knucklehead is going to do something terrible (Boston Marathon bombing, for instance).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back