Remembrance Day

TamaTalk

Help Support TamaTalk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

booboo1

Reaction score
I didn't see anything about Remembrance Day here, so I'm just going to make a topic in case anyone forgot, or doesn't know about it. I guess in the United States, you guys celebrate Veterans Day. In Canada, though, and I'm not sure where else, we have Remembrance Day which is today.

We celebrate this day to remember all of the soldiers who have died in World War I. What they have sacrificed and given up, just for us to be safe. We are so lucky to have the peace that we have here, and many people don't appreciate it as much as they should. Even though I don't have personal connections to anyone who has passed in war, I would just like to take some time to remember and thank them, from the bottom of my heart.

This is a popular poem that I have grown up with all of my life. I'm not sure how many of you guys know it, but it means a lot to me.

In Flanders Fields

By: Lieutenant Colonel John McCrae

tumblr_mdcgj7JuaB1rhe5lwo1_500.jpg

In Flanders fields the poppies blow

Between the crosses, row on row,

That mark our place; and in the sky

The larks, still bravely singing, fly

Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead. Short days ago

We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,

Loved and were loved, and now we lie

In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:

To you from failing hands we throw

The torch; be yours to hold it high.

If ye break faith with us who die

We shall not sleep, though poppies grow

In Flanders fields.

Thanks everyone <3

Remembrance Day is observed in the UK and in most Commonwealth countries. It's on 11 November (Armistice Day - end of hostilities in WW1)

Most services are held on Remembrance Sunday (2nd Sunday in November - the one nearest to 11 Nov) to commemorate the lives given by British and Commonwealth men and women in the two World Wars. Two minutes silence is held at 11am and many people buy a poppy to wear in their lapel as a mark of respect. More recently Remembrance Day includes those conflicts since the end of WW2.

Our remembrance day is basically on the 25th of April - ANZAC day. New Zealanders and Australians remember the soldiers who died in Gallipoli in WW1 - it is also celebrated in Niue, Pitcairn, Tonga and the Cook Islands.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back