Rerelease Shell Swap!

TamaTalk

Help Support TamaTalk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bentobuff

Reaction score
This has been on my to-do list since I ordered my anniversary P1. I loved the soap bubble color aesthetic, but I still dislike the left or right guessing game. It's obnoxious. I figured I'd get around to doing a shell swap someday with a random P2.

Then, in a random TJmaxx(or was it Marshall's? They blend together for me) I found a blue gingham p2 rerelease for $15 USD. Hey, $5 off of anywhere else, don't mind if I do!

So it sat in my stash for ages. Both of them, really. I finally did my shell swap just now, concerned about how I was going to handle the wires on the speaker issue.
Turns out the rereleases are PERFECT for beginner modders! The speakers are connected via a spring, so I(nor you) didn't have to worry about breaking them! If you want to do a shell swap or mod a Tama, this is a great one to experiment with, you can take the whole shell off and paint it properly (if you electroplate it, you will have to remove the plating from the inside after, btw- a total pain but having done it before, it's totally worth it).

20230416_184651.jpg

While getting the pressure of the screws optimal for the screens was a touch fussy(loosening and tightening screws and testing), it ended up being a complete success! I swapped the LCDs, made sure to keep the OG background with the shell, and then swapped the boards. The sound works and the screens are in perfect working order! Sadly, the P2 has a dark blue board, so it detracts from the translucent look a bit, but it's worth it for me.20230416_190933.jpgProof of it running the P2 egg

Last edited:
Cool! I too hate the guessing game, maybe someday I'll have to try this. XD
Definitely! It was such an easy swap.
I think because it's the OG style programming, bandai gives the P1 special treatment with all the special designs- but alas 😂

Latest posts

Back