Selective Mutism

TamaTalk

Help Support TamaTalk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I’ve never actually heard of that -looks it up-

I think I might have had it when I was younger, but I’m not so sure. Now I talk too much xD.

I don't know much about it - but I think it is pretty unusual.

@ CookieDough123 - if you have had this for several years, do you have enough experience now to know which situations make you anxious enough to stop speaking - or does it feel like random situations?

DUDE. I Wikied it and the description fits me pretty well. x.x

I tend to be rather anti social - I dislike talking, and barely utter more than a few words in class. Even when I've got to ask something important from the teacher I'll stay quiet. And I avoid questions - I don't feel like talking and generally just nod my head to whatever I hear. Which of course comes off as really rude, but without meaning to. My voice also quietens down and becomes pretty soft when I'm in public, so I literally have to scream before people get what I'm saying. I feel very comfortable at home; that's when I loosen up and start acting wild. It's like I'm two-faced, really. So I might have some sort of SM-related problem, yes?

o':

Last edited by a moderator:
That sort of sounds like me. I doubt I have it though. I just have public speaking issues.

Unless I'm with really close friends or at home, I'll keep quiet mostly. If I have to go ask for help somewhere, I won't do it. Even if I have a question for the teacher.

Yeah. It takes a lot of strength for me to go talk to people I'm not used to. Especially in school.

I don't know much about it - but I think it is pretty unusual.
@ CookieDough123 - if you have had this for several years, do you have enough experience now to know which situations make you anxious enough to stop speaking - or does it feel like random situations?
I try to just walk into shops and buy a chocolate bar and I get all sweaty and scared and have to put it down and walk out. I never go anywhere on my own incase anybody says Hi or i see a friend. I feel happy to chat to my siblings and parents, but sometimes talk by whiteboard and pen. I hate it and I am trying to get over it. I don't talk to anybody - I don't answer to the register at school or anything. It is any situation but in my house with MY parents and siblings. I never go round to anyones house or sleep overnight there...It isn't just any random situation, it is when I'm not with my imediate family. I am trying to beat it!

Wish me luck! :lol: :( :D

Love Lizzie aka CookieDough123

:kuribotchi:

' date='+February 22, 2010 05:35 am'] DUDE. I Wikied it and the description fits me pretty well. x.xI tend to be rather anti social - I dislike talking, and barely utter more than a few words in class. Even when I've got to ask something important from the teacher I'll stay quiet. And I avoid questions - I don't feel like talking and generally just nod my head to whatever I hear. Which of course comes off as really rude, but without meaning to. My voice also quietens down and becomes pretty soft when I'm in public, so I literally have to scream before people get what I'm saying. I feel very comfortable at home; that's when I loosen up and start acting wild. It's like I'm two-faced, really. So I might have some sort of SM-related problem, yes?

o':
Maybe some realated mild anxitey disorder - but I'm not a doctor!

:kuribotchi: :lol: :(

I think I might've had it before.. I used to feel really shy around everyone.

But since I started highschool, I honestly never stop talking.

Its quite odd..

I wouldn't say I have it. Normally I don't really talk to people I don't know much. I just have no idea what to say. Now, if they say something that interests me, I'll open up. I mean, that's how you've got to make friends, right? x3

I'm definitely not a shy person, that's for sure. My parents raised me to smile at people and say hi and all... lol.

I'm kind of like that. Except I can force myself to do things, like day 'hi' or walk into a store. I'm usually extremely quiet in class. All my teachers complain to my parents that I never talk. : p

I think I might've had it before.. I used to feel really shy around everyone.But since I started highschool, I honestly never stop talking.

Its quite odd..
I have heard of people with my condition wanting to move to a new school and as soon as they walk in, they say hello, and SM is gone!

I wish I was like that :p !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back