Seriously...

TamaTalk

Help Support TamaTalk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TamaSweetie

Reaction score
I'm not saying that you shouldn't trust anybody in this world, I'm just here to post a serious reminder.

Why are so many people posting their personal information all over the web?

Everybody in the world can read it!

Referring to some of you guys too... and I'm not going to name names here :D

Online safety is becoming a major issue, especially amongst children and teens. Hackers and sexual predators targeting children are some of the obvious reasons. What about identity thefts? Once identity thefts collect enough of a person's personal information, they can be able to use them for their own financial purposes - and apply for YOUR credit card. Now what's really the worst is what happens afterwards. The negative consequences caused by the identity theft's actions can take as long as many years to tidy up. :)

About other things, like IMing, I'm not going to be the one talking anymore. Well, this is an article from BeingGirl.com, but in many ways it does apply to children and teenagers of both genders: https://www.beinggirl.com/en_US/articledeta...tentId=ART11114

ALL of you need to read ALL of it (yes, even the boys!)

Need I stress more?

TamaSweetie

I agree.When i go on stuff like TT I give a fake name and age.Not here because people ask me like13 year old quetions.But on everything else,I do.

Wow that convo scared me. I dont do so much as to give out my name. I'm never telling anyone anything anymore! o_O

I'm not saying that you shouldn't trust anybody in this world, I'm just here to post a serious reminder.Why are so many people posting their personal information all over the web?

Everybody in the world can read it!

Referring to some of you guys too... and I'm not going to name names here :eek:

Online safety is becoming a major issue, especially amongst children and teens. Hackers and sexual predators targeting children are some of the obvious reasons. What about identity thefts? Once identity thefts collect enough of a person's personal information, they can be able to use them for their own financial purposes - and apply for YOUR credit card. Now what's really the worst is what happens afterwards. The negative consequences caused by the identity theft's actions can take as long as many years to tidy up. :furawatchi:

About other things, like IMing, I'm not going to be the one talking anymore. Well, this is an article from BeingGirl.com, but in many ways it does apply to children and teenagers of both genders: https://www.beinggirl.com/en_US/articledeta...tentId=ART11114

ALL of you need to read ALL of it (yes, even the boys!)

Need I stress more?

TamaSweetie
We learned about this in school and they also read that story.

We read that in my school. The only info I give out is my first name, which state I live in, and what I look like. I try to be vague. I don't really socialize on the web, I don't do PMs or IMing if I don't know the person in real life. If someone asked me which school I went to, I'd get suspicious. That's happened to me before, on youtube and myspace. I tell them that they make me feel uncomfortable, and block them. I know that I'm not 100% safe, but I just trust myself to make good judgement, and let my parents know who I'm associating with online.

I don't think I give out A LOT of information.

I try not to give out my first name a lot since it's not that common.

Like if I sign up for something I'd probably use my old nickname.

But something gives me a feeling I'm one of those people who give out too much of personal info x.x

Age, Gender, Name and Country is what my parents want me to only say.

If their giving out the vibe they want to "go out" with me, I just say I'm 50, I'm a male, my name is Fredrick and I live in my mom's basement :3

No offense but I really think you need to relax, take a chill pill, and give up.

I give out many things about myself online and I'm still safe. You can always says things as long as your not in detail or it's still pretty anonymous.

I know two people who have been killed from people they've met online. One on mysapce, and I forgot where the other two met.

Point is most of us, if not all of us, know what we are doing and I doubt any of us is fool anough to yell out "I'm Georgia Louis from Freeport, Illinois and I'm a brunette in the seventh grade!" Which, by the way, was all false information I just gave you.

Also, you may be overreacting to lies. If you saw someone put something like 'Geogia Louis' just said I doubt half of it is true.

Relax and don't overeact ;) bad people may be out there, but any sensible person knows how to protect themselves.

I think that all this "internet safety" stuff is over rated. Yeah, young kids should be taught not to give out stuff like their address on the internet but still. Once you hit the age of eight you aren't stupid enough to say "Oh! My name is Suzy Sally Smith and I live at 1234 Retard Ave 00009 Idiotville, State, Dumb Country! And I am 8 years old call me, my phone # is (123)123-1234!"** If you did then... well... you have serious issues. I think that if you give out your first name (unless it's really uncommon) age, and country you aren't going to be stalked to death.

** None of that info is true about anyone here on tamatalk. If you name is Suzy, Sally, or if your last name is Smith, I'm sorry. Those names are just common which is why I used them.

I think that all this "internet safety" stuff is over rated. Yeah, young kids should be taught not to give out stuff like their address on the internet but still. Once you hit the age of eight you aren't stupid enough to say "Oh! My name is Suzy Sally Smith and I live at 1234 Retard Ave 00009 Idiotville, State, Dumb Country! And I am 8 years old call me, my phone # is (123)123-1234!"** If you did then... well... you have serious issues. I think that if you give out your first name (unless it's really uncommon) age, and country you aren't going to be stalked to death.** None of that info is true about anyone here on tamatalk. If you name is Suzy, Sally, or if your last name is Smith, I'm sorry. Those names are just common which is why I used them.
I completely agree

My dad has told me this story a million and one times. He's a cop, he knows I go on websites and talk to people I don't know. He can be too over protective of me and tries to see what I'm on.

Heaps of people give out lots of information about themselves, enough for them to be tracked, like the story in that link.

It might not happen very often, but people do get tracked down by information posted on forums and talking on instant messaging. All it takes is for someone to be willing to find you, and you giving out too much information.

If you don't give out lots of information, or be specific and be very general, you should be fine.

Spooky

My parents talked to me about stuff. No strangers are allowed to be on my myspace friends (of course) and this is usually all the info I give out:

Name, Age, how i look, state

That's basically it, unless I'm telling my friends what I did today, or something liek, crush problems or junk. I don't go all "OMG SCHOOL AT EAST JUNIOR HIGH IS SOOOOO EASY!!" (Btw I dont even KNOW if there is such a thing as East Junior High, I just grabbed East High from high school musical and jammed Junior in between) :3 I'm a safe cookie, I'm really scared of stalkers because my friend got stalked twice (once in 4th grade and once in 6th) by THE SAME TWO PEOPLE o.e and yeah.... *shudder shudder*

EDIT: I don't give out any info on my myspace page. It says I'm, liek, 100 years old and that I live in Dreamland or something x3

Last edited by a moderator:
No offense but I really think you need to relax, take a chill pill, and give up.
I give out many things about myself online and I'm still safe. You can always says things as long as your not in detail or it's still pretty anonymous.
Thank you. That's the point I tell most people, and that's how I rolled when I first went online at the age of 14. THANK YOU. Seriously.

As for the privacy thing...I've been approached privately regarding how I handle people on my personal website (the way I handle it is get as much information as possible minus addresses and last names based on their IP address which isn't hard when comments and messages on my site leave the IP address behind, and exploit it...keep in mind it is a last resort tactic only if harassment has gone far too long or TOO FAR) and I'm going to say this once, and once only who have approached me privately. Mind your own business.

I get where you're coming from, and I was not born yesterday. I know and heard all the stories, and I was precautious myself.That being said I wasn't deliberately trying to upset people online either.

I handle people who harass, threaten and other fun activities coming from my website MY way because it's MY website. If you're going to threaten my life or people I care about, expect me to play nasty back. Mind you I'm not going to threaten someone back, but with information I can find from one simple IP address, someone who decides to leave me messages saying they're going to slit my throat can quite possibly have me calling their parents or their guardian and explaining the situation to them. I was at that point with some young'un doing that nonsense. They stopped once they knew I wasn't playing around.

I think being safe online is fine...but for those who use their anonymity as an excuse to be disrespectful or stupid with me and people I care about: All bets are off. Don't start what you can't finish.

Just wanted to make that clear for those who contacted me privately. Please mind your own business and your OWN affairs kay? ;)

*puts soapbox away*

Last edited by a moderator:
-sigh- I know.

Most of the time it's just little kids who don't realize the threat posting your personal information poses, or older ppl who just don't believe in that sort of stuff. But online predators are real, so people should be careful. ;)

I've read that article!(I have a beinggirl account! :pochitchi: ) It's really scary! I was actually stalked on a website before by some perv! :blink: It scared the livin' daylights outta me! So I don't post personal info!

Totally agree with TamaSweetie!!!!!!!!!

Stick to no personal info!

:wacko:

As soon as kids turn eight I don't think they post anything more than their name, age and gender. Seriously my teacher (I'm 13 btw, 12 at the time) said that it's not safe to even give out our freakin' GENDER. The only information I've posted is my first name, gender and age. I agree with other people, it's overrated.

Quite frankly, I could care less who finds me.

I choose to give my info out to people, and if they end up being possesed stalkers then, well, my bad.

I keep a baseball bat in my room and is not stupid enough to get in a car with someone I dont know.

Ive had a stalker before, actually, but he came from my school.

hahaha.

If someone says they'll shoot em if I dont get in, I know their buffing, and if their not, well, at least everyone will know how I went :3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back