Should stay-at-home moms be paid?

TamaTalk

Help Support TamaTalk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mazeay

Reaction score
I was reading a poll about this and found it kind of interesting.. whether or not you think stay at home parents should be paid. I was reading the answers and some of them said that they should get about 70-200 grand per year! Personally I think that's a little ridiculous... I'll post my answer a bit later. Here were what some of the answers said:

"AT LEAST 22 grand! and im tallking cheap here for someone who....is...a cook/maid/fixer/lawn attendance/taking care of bills/shopper/doc/ect ectt ecttt..make that 100 grand!"

"I don't think I could put a price on everything a mom does !!"

"1 parent SHOULD be the stay at home parent, they should receive help financially for being a stay at home parent based on what the working spouse makes, this way the rich dont get richer while middle class and lower class plummet downwards. Single parents would obviously get more money than any other stay at home parent."

So what do you think? If you say yes how much do you think they should be paid? Just curious !

Honestly I've never thought about this at all... but I really don't think they should be paid. Whether it's a stay-at-home-mom, stay-at-home-dad, or a single parent, I believe it's the adult's responsibility to take care of the family. They should not be compensated for doing things that are essential and expected (i.e. laundry, cooking, etc).

And what about those moms or dads who stay at home but yet they don't do anything? How would whoever is paying them know that they don't do laundry or cook or whatever and all they do is sit around?

You don't deserve to be paid for being responsible and taking care of your family/home.

Well who would be paying them? It should definitely not be the government. Why do they deserve to be paid in the first place? Then people would quit their jobs to sit at home and clean because it's easier for them. It would be a mess if stay at home parents were paid.

My Mum is a working single-parent so I really have no idea, my brother is like a dad and he works. I've never thought about it.

apsolutley not!!

It was THEIR choice to have a child/children it is there responsibility to take care of it, its human nature, you shouldnt expect to get payed. it sickens me that there are people struggling out there and all these crappy people are getting a bunch of money from the government! and more then half of those "moochers" don't even use the money for the kids, they use it for there own selfish needs and habits like drugs and booze.

^^^ Actually our family is really in need, my Mum dumped her boyfriend and kicked him out of the house and he kept stalking us.

He actually kidnappped me but I was too young to realize. So know we were forced to get the worlds worst house. It's really old and we've fixed it a few times.

Even though my brother earned himself $4000 he spent it all on himself and Christmas presents. I was real lucky to get a new DS... We are barely hanging onto the internet.

But I don't know, It would be nice for our family to get money for a bit.. But I guess it's not right though..

I fear how many women would have kids just to get paid for it. There will always be people who take advantage of that type of thing.

No, I don't think stay at home parents should be paid to do it. Why should anyone get paid for bringing another life in to this world? Your choice, your responsibility.

Regardless of the amount of work that goes in to childcare, you should not get paid for taking care of your own kids. It's your job as a parent, paid or not.

Now if you need help financially to support your kids, I'm all for welfare so long as the money actually goes TO the kids for food, clothes, etc.

I know too many people who have kids and don't actually do anything to benefit them. To give them payment for sitting around all day? No. Why reward laziness?

If a law like this were ever to be established, I can only imagine how many kids would be born purely so the parents don't have to go to work. So that they could just sit at home and get paid for something that they should already be doing anyway.

I would say no. But I think the government really needs to help out stay-at-home moms who are REALLY struggling and need the money. Things happen in life, not everyone becomes successful and gets a lot of money. It would be a nice thing to do.

No, it has always bothered me to no end when stay at home mothers suggest this. I always hear stay at home moms talking about how "they have a full time job that's even harder than jobs in the typical workplace." Okay, I do realize being a mother is hard work. My mom manages to do it with an actual job. According to their reasoning, my mom has two full time jobs, with the one of taking care of the children being harder than her job at the office. Why should mothers who stay at home all day and clean/cook/talk to other stay at home moms get paid? Working mothers clean, cook, pick the kids up from school, take them to sports, and balance all that with a full time job. If anything, working mothers should get compensation from the government for childcare.

Last edited by a moderator:
I fear how many women would have kids just to get paid for it. There will always be people who take advantage of that type of thing.
My mother had 5 kids for this reason.....ug, not to mention all of us have a diffrent father :angry:

I don't think that stay at home parents should be paid either, if anything I think it's a privilege to stay at home with your kids. And I can think of way better ways that the government could be spending money.

I would hate to be the child of someone who wishes they got paid for having to raise me.. just shows how much they "love" me. But I think parents who are struggling are a different story;)

Well, realistically no because there would be no one to pay them.

But for the amount of work they do they totally deserve it! My mom doesn't have a job but she works harder than anyone I know. Being a mom really is hard work.

Well, realistically no because there would be no one to pay them.

But for the amount of work they do they totally deserve it! My mom doesn't have a job but she works harder than anyone I know. Being a mom really is hard work.
I totally agree with this :)

At my office I often hear men (and a couple of women) suggesting that women who are at home all day are "lazy" or asking "what do they do all day...?"

In fact I had a friendly "discussion" with a male colleague about it just today :rolleyes:

He claimed he shouldn't have to "help out" at home because he worked 9am-5pm every day and his wife only worked 10am-3pm x 3 days a week and otherwise, she was "at home all day".

He was, however, unable to justify his statement when I asked him who it was in his house hold did the following:

clean or tidy house after kids / husband goes to work / gets back from work

sort laundry / load washing machine / unload machine / hang washing

iron dry washing

put away all family's clothes into various closets and drawers

plan meals for the family

do the grocery / household goods shopping

cook family meals every day (including weekends)

wash up after meals / load & unload dishwasher

dust and vacum house

help kids with homework

take and collect kids from school

take and collect kids from after school activities

I didn't get much further on the list because he admitted defeat... (but I'll bet he still doesn't help out at home) ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back