Society differences from cultural influences

TamaTalk

Help Support TamaTalk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TamaSweetie

Reaction score
Sometimes the social differences culture makes are just so... big. I began thinking about these differences the moment I entered China from Hong Kong. (Note: I'm visiting relatives in China.)

Examples like, teen relationships. Over here in China, high school students (and sometimes even uni) are highly discouraged to form boyfriend-girlfriend relationships, with the parents and teachers believing that it is not a mature age for love, distracting from their studies, having negative long-term effects on their future, etc. But the American teen girl websites are offering stuff like dating advice and even guides to flirting and getting a boyfriend. While kids in high school can flirt openly in the schoolyard over in Australia, where I permanently live, in China if a couple of young students are caught doing so, they are to have a serious conversation with a teacher or counselor :(

And the traffic. There were loud beeps all over the place when we drove into the customs carpark in China. Average 3 beeps every second. In Australia if people beep continuously in carparks they would probably get fined. Most Australians would drive quite sensibly. But on some messy streets in China drivers dare to drive the opposite way :D it's scary...

On the good side, people in China are very respectful to the elderly and place them with great importance. Young people who work in a city away from where their parents leave would definitely visit them regularly and give them gifts and look after them. I heard that in Australia many of the elderly are left in nursing homes where they are treated, well, not like humans ;) See this is what the child-centred society brings to us...

Sometimes cultural shock could make a world of difference. Have you seen social differences made by culture just such a shock?

NOTE: and it means cultures must (they CAN :p ) agree to disagree. Please do not make this seem racist :D

I've never left the United States, so I wouldn't know very much about other cultures..

Yes, I've noticed big cultural differences. Like, even in different states in the U.S.. When I left my (lovely absolutely wonderful) Texas to go to Wisconsin(which is probably the most horrible and coldest place in the world) I really stood out. Like, I'd walk around all smiley with my headphones on, saying things like d**n, y'all, hell, and p**s, and everyone was just like: "Southerner." xDD There was other stuff, but I'm too lazy to post it right now xD All the buildings and stuff there are all old-ish and classical. And the grocery store didn't sell flipflops, but it sold gloves. And the people were formal. If I was just walking on the sidewalk and said "What's up?" To some random person, they'd say hi, but look at me like I was crazy. Not like here, where if I said hi to someone, we'd get in a whole conversation. Everyone's so conservative. And it was freakin' 80 degrees in the summer. That's like, fall temperatures for us Texans. But that's not really culture. Also, in Texas, every forth person has a Dodge/Ford pickup truck. In Wisconsin, it's like... Every tenth. Much different. I like Texas better. Warmest place in the country. Although right now it's really cold. Of course, if I told you that, you'd call me crazy, because it's seventy-three degrees out. To me, that's cold. To you, that's probably not. xD I guess Texas has screwed up my sense of temperature.

^ I live in Texas too! Over here where I live, it's so friendly xD Seriously. Plus, where I live, practically everyone's hispanic. At my school, practically every kid knows how to speak spanish. I don't feel left out here, not at all. And on the weekends when I go to J-town in Mexico, woah. That's something different. It's like, so freaking dirty and gross, I prefer living over here. Although my friends over there are great and everything, and sometimes I don't want to come back home because of them. I feel safer back here in Texas though :]

I've traveled from Ohio, To Florida this summer.

I must say, of all places, I love Tennessee. Everyone was SOOOO happy, and it was really warm. I'd fit in perfectly there. (Which is good, because if I do move, it'll be to there.)

Here in Ohio, everyone is so mean, and unhappy, it's depressing D:

I don't have any serious experiences with culture shock like you, but in North Carolina, people could tell I was from Western PA. :]

Apparently we have some kind of accent. I wasn't aware of this until I went to NC, where when I was out people would ask me if I was from Pittsburgh or the area, because I have an accent. Which, I am quite proud that I have a bit of an accent. :D

My area isn't the most friendly place. In the city, you don't talk to people. Our crime rate is too high. You shouldn't be out alone. And it's cold. Like, right now, it's about 0 degrees F. D': I hate cold.

I want to move to North Carolina. Desperatley. I've gone there every summer of my existence, and I've fallen in love with the state. I love how everyone has a southern drawl. I love how everyone is so friendly. I love how it's peaceful and warm there. I countdown every year, all year, until the week I get to go down to the southern North Carolina beaches. I love to go down to the board walk with my cousin. We go to all the beach shops. We say hi to everyone, and everyone is so friendly. I love it beyond anything. <3

But that's not nessicarily culture shock. Just a difference in the locals, I guess. And the weather.

I do get what you are saying though. I am studying Japanese, and the differences between Japanese and American schooling is startling. Japanese students don't switch classes - the teachers switch rooms. I wouldn't be able to stand sitting still all day. They normally stay with the same homeroom teacher/homeroom all through high school. You have to wear a uniform. You don't leave class to use the restroom. You don't speak unless spoken to. Getting into high school in Japan is like getting into a college in the US - exams - and they're extremely competitive. My teacher (Who was born and raised in Japan) always yells at us when we're screaming and cussing and sitting on desks. She says we should be scrubbing toilets with our bare hands as punishment for our behavior - not going to detention, because that doesn't teach you anything. They really do scrub toilets in Japan for punishments. O_O My teacher is very nice though. <3

And that's just differences in schooling, let alone the rest of the culture.

I would personally love to experience a culture shock - go to another country. Experience something different. See the world. <3

Well, I just moved from England [Gotta <3 Britain!] to America around 5 months ago.

It hasn't been too much of a culture shock for me. Everyone here is so friendly, though, and a lot more chatty than people in the UK. I'm not saying it's a bad thing about Britain. There would be plenty of times you'd get into a nice conversation with a lady at a store or something like that, but even more so here in the USA. I actually really like it, and I think the American accent sounds so . . happy. My accent is still 100% British, though. And I'm pretty proud of it. Everyone always asks me where I'm from when they hear it, so it gives me conversation-starting opportunities.

One of the main reasons that it hasn't been a total shock to move here to the US is that I go to an international school, with loads of English friends, which is great.

So it's all good. :]

Yes, Ive eperienced a big culture shock.

People here, in Adelaide Australia are so friendly and can just say hi to any stranger they see. Recently, I travelled to Russia (to visit relatives) and found it was so different. If people have the slightest im-perfection (e.g. acne, skin discolourations, etc..) they would be judged as a bad person and no one would talk to them apart from family and friends. In Russia, they also seem to base everything on looks. Well, I suppose society is starting to do that as a whole, but its at an extreme in Russia. You HAVE to be dressed up wherever you go, or else people will judge you badly. There's also a HUGE difference between the rich and the poor. The rich would live in fancy houses up on a hill and have a view of the whole city. While the poor would be homeless drunks and sleep under a tree.

But in Adelaide (my permanent home) its completely different. If people have a slight im-perfection, they'd be treated the same as all others. And here they dont base everything on looks. If someone has a small stain on a shirt for example, they wouldn't avoid that person completely like what happens in Russia. Here you dont have to be dressed up. You can even have bare feet and go shopping. You wont be judged here either. And theres not a very big difference between the rich and the poor. The richest there can be is probably like a 4 bedroom house (unlike in Russia, where the houses can get up to 7 bedrooms or so) and the poorest would probably be a homeless person.

So, that shows the differences. And sorry if this seems racist in any way, but it is the complete truth.

um i don't think ive ever experienced a cultural shock.

ive been outside the U.S before, to Dominican Republic to visit relatives.

its like a whole new world over there(well depends on where you go) i visit Jamao Al Norte.

and like its pretty poor there. and American dollar would make any kid happy. and the air is SUPERRRRR fresh, not like over here in new york. its so fresh that, they could leave meat in a cabinet for a week and it wouldnt spoil, it'd be as fresh as it was as the day they made it.

and nothing is wasted over there, meat is eaten down to the bones, and then the dogs get the rest. and they dnt have bags over there either, they carry everything by hand, like those HUGE water gallons.

um, what else....

oh everyone is nice also, everyone knows how to have a good time and people like to have fun.

The girls over there arent ghetto >.>

hm, so i'd rather live over there then over here, its alot more fun and its sooooo hot over there. its pretty cool.

Two differences you pointed out I completely agree with. The boyfriend/girlfriend one, and the respecting of elders.

In the US, "love" is treated as just another every day thing. People start relationships just to say they have a boyfriend, and nobody takes anything seriously anymore. Even though I grew up in this culture, I completely disagree with it.

Edlers, again in the US aren't treated with the respect they deserve. Especially by teenagers.

As for the cars in China, I'm not surprised quite honestly. I'm completely bias in my opinion because I've been hit by an Asian before, and I can't count how many times I've been cut off or nearly slammed into by them. While yes, I've been cut off by tons of people, most happen to be Asian. Just so I don't sound completely racist, I'll stop here.

The only cultural shock that I've heard of, but haven't experienced on my own is the way kids are treated by adults mostly in school. For instance, China again. I completely understand the thinking they use as to why teachers can hit students, but I don't particularly agree with it. Now, I do believe every kid deserves a good smack sometimes, I don't believe anyone other than family should have that right.

Last edited by a moderator:
In canada, 'love' is an everday thing. People don't control it. And some high schools encourage it.

As you mentioned China is very strict, and impatient :furawatchi:

But China is differant in other ways. No need to stereo type here but alot of chinese people are incredibly smart, and usually get top class jobs.

If your in high school and you just pass a class because you were caught flirting with a guy.. well your considered a dissapointment. It's differant here.

Yes, Ive eperienced a big culture shock.People here, in Adelaide Australia are so friendly and can just say hi to any stranger they see. Recently, I travelled to Russia (to visit relatives) and found it was so different. If people have the slightest im-perfection (e.g. acne, skin discolourations, etc..) they would be judged as a bad person and no one would talk to them apart from family and friends. In Russia, they also seem to base everything on looks. Well, I suppose society is starting to do that as a whole, but its at an extreme in Russia. You HAVE to be dressed up wherever you go, or else people will judge you badly. There's also a HUGE difference between the rich and the poor. The rich would live in fancy houses up on a hill and have a view of the whole city. While the poor would be homeless drunks and sleep under a tree.

But in Adelaide (my permanent home) its completely different. If people have a slight im-perfection, they'd be treated the same as all others. And here they dont base everything on looks. If someone has a small stain on a shirt for example, they wouldn't avoid that person completely like what happens in Russia. Here you dont have to be dressed up. You can even have bare feet and go shopping. You wont be judged here either. And theres not a very big difference between the rich and the poor. The richest there can be is probably like a 4 bedroom house (unlike in Russia, where the houses can get up to 7 bedrooms or so) and the poorest would probably be a homeless person.

So, that shows the differences. And sorry if this seems racist in any way, but it is the complete truth.
Wow. Russia sounds like a pretty scary place to live; if everybody is constantly judging you on your looks/what you're wearing. I think I'd be alright because I usually just wear my comfy at-home clothes when I'm actually just chilling out at home. :] But still . . I have a friend who is Russian. He lives here in the U.S. but he goes back to visit Russia often and he just doesn't seem like a very judgemental person. He's really nice. Maybe it's just some parts of Russia that act like this??

Wow. Russia sounds like a pretty scary place to live; if everybody is constantly judging you on your looks/what you're wearing. I think I'd be alright because I usually just wear my comfy at-home clothes when I'm actually just chilling out at home. :] But still . . I have a friend who is Russian. He lives here in the U.S. but he goes back to visit Russia often and he just doesn't seem like a very judgemental person. He's really nice. Maybe it's just some parts of Russia that act like this??
Well did he just recently move? If not, than hes probably used to america now. If not, than hes probably just a good person. My grandparents are really kind and not judgemental aswell. Although I am prepared to admit that my aunty and uncle are slightly more judgemental and agressive, as we might say.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back