Tamagotchi and mental health

TamaTalk

Help Support TamaTalk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I live with multiple mental illnesses (BPD, ADHD, Bipolar, C-PTSD), and I haven't had my Tama help with them yet, but I have had them be my "obsession of the week" multiple times. I wanna start seriously collecting them, though. Maybe that will help with some of my weird anxiety/dissociation issues.

My Tama did kinda help at work the other day, though. I had a woman tell me she was going to report me to corporate, and I was really anxious about that. Covering my hair also helps with my anxiety, cause it helps with pressure, and reduces outside stimulation.

I'm glad this topic exists! I struggle with social phobia & mood swings. My tamas are a source of uncomplicated joy. Sometimes I think they are my caretakers rather than vice versa ^_^ I run them when I need a regular distraction from my thoughts. I agree wholeheartedly that they feel both safe & surprising (and also that they are like therapy animals!) Their evolution patterns give me something to look forward to; everything about them fosters a more positive understanding of time (i.e. that ephemerality is not always bad - there are so many mysterious new things to anticipate!) I've come to see tamagotchis as a source of changeful constancy, if that makes any sense. They're always there, if/when I need them.

I've been dealing with depression, burnouts and psychosis and I feel like my tamagotchis have helped me a lot. Especially during those days when I've been feeling totally useless and terrible.

I wouldn't say I struggle with mental health, as such, and I have never been diagnosed with any sort of condition. So hats off to you guys who go through those daily struggles and come out at the other end still fighting!

However, I have my 'down days' and also have days where I struggle with panic attacks, the constant thought of not being good enough and the constant thought of no one liking me. Tamagotchis, although not a direct source of help and solace, allow me to feel relied upon and important - and of course, even if you accidentally kill off your little friend by being useless, there is no judgement whatsoever! You can carry on raising another little friend and they will still like you in their own digital way.

I have found that they calm me, de-stress me and help me to relax if I have had one of my difficult or 'down' days.

I don't really suffer from anything, as described above, but I just thought life was so boring and Tamagotchi kind

of made me look more forward to tomorrow, even if my friends think I'm weird for owning a zillion of them. :wub:

Last edited by a moderator:
well, to be fair i cant compare to the mental health part, but for some reason, my tamagotchis make me feel calmer. It may have to do with the fact i am constantly bullied, and in general when i get home i can feel calmer. My tamagotchis calm me, maybe its because it feels nice to have something that depends on you, and thats what sooves me...

I have depression and some anxiety, and Tamagotchis DEFINITELY help. I love animals, and having a Tamagotchi with me is like having a weird little alien animal at my side and it's amazing. It definitely cheers me up just watching their sprites go around the screen. I try to take as best care as possible, but I usually sleep in on the weekends and in summer and also I have issues with motivation, so sometimes it's hard. (The mini has been perfect though, because it's so low maintenance.) I always try to keep one on my during school because for some reason I don't have ANY of my friends in the same classes as me, and they keep me company.

I'm retyping this again as it didn't post, butI have really bad depression, as in I don't want to live bad. I also have ADHD and anxiety. I don't have any tamas, but I really want one. I find the thought of tamagotchis calming. Without them, IDK where I'd be at now. I have no friends, very little social life - no, wait, practically no social life - parents who sometimes seem to hate me and no way of getting away from them. Sometimes I think I should've died all those years ago (I nearly died ages ago in an accident and am now extremely cautious). Tamagotchis help a lot with that. I just wish I had one. :(

I'm retyping this again as it didn't post, butI have really bad depression, as in I don't want to live bad. I also have ADHD and anxiety. I don't have any tamas, but I really want one. I find the thought of tamagotchis calming. Without them, IDK where I'd be at now. I have no friends, very little social life - no, wait, practically no social life - parents who sometimes seem to hate me and no way of getting away from them. Sometimes I think I should've died all those years ago (I nearly died ages ago in an accident and am now extremely cautious). Tamagotchis help a lot with that. I just wish I had one. :(
I hope you get one. Keep a lookout in thrift stores also. It's rare but you might get lucky and find a classic gen 1 or 2.

I feel like they gotta help me a little, I always seem to run them during more stressful times and as someone who does suffer from a fair amount (depression, anxiety, schizophrenia) they seem to give me something else to concentrate on. And with work now instead of school its harder for me to justify running one, but holding one makes things seem easier I feel like. Plus I Love Himespetchi and seeing her always makes me feel better

Oh, and with the the little attention calls the Tama Friends does, its like they just want to remind you they love you and that helps

I don't like it when people say that tamagotchis are a kids toy.My tamagotchis help me cope with the issues I have in my life.And my other problems I have as well as my coloring helps me.And I can't have a pet here so I have my tamagotchi as my personal friends and pets etc.I always have and I always will love tamagotchis.I am also suffering with mental illness as well.

Thanks so much for posting this!! I've struggled with mental health issues for the majority of my life, namely depression, anxiety, and OCD; and Tamagotchis and other vpets have always been there for me. :D I'm often too anxious to talk to new people, and when I was little they acted like a little friend I could hang out with even if I was too nervous to try to make friends with the new kid in class. But now, the little guys are more of a conversation starter and have actually helped me meet new people and make new friends.

Even little things, If I'm ever too anxious to do something alone, or I feel lonely, I can remember that I have a little tama with me cheering me on and depending on me. Or the fact that these little virtual friends ask for help kinda helped me realize that I can ask for help too! And more often than not, there will be people there to help u, just like how we're here for the tamas lol. I think somehow they've helped me grow as a person and I'm very thankful for the experience they've given me

~Miau :wub:

I have honestly never put two and two together. What a great topic! Tamagotchis inherently make me happier and I almost always have one on me whether at home, work or traveling. I get so excited when I see rumors of future models being released and even Tamatalk is sort of my away place that I can escape from work and other stresses. I can recall ever since the release in the 2000's going to the library to use their internet since I didn't have it when I first moved out on my own. I'd get there and be so hoping for news of more tamas to be released, to use Tamatown and of course scour Ebay for more tamas. Flash forward to today and I still find myself playing my little tamas even though I'm in my 30's now...(where are my 90's buddies?!)

When I need something to do or when I find myself stressed out, it's relaxing for me to take out my collection, dust anything that needs dusting and to go over each unit one by one. For me personally, I do get anxiety/stress and it really helps to gather everything tamagotchi related and keep it on one spot. I do the same with my Nintendo Gameboy and DS stuff too actually, now that I think about it. I can just sit there and look through everything and play if I so chose. We all can have some funny quirks!

Tbh, as a kid. Tama's just gave me a thing to do because I didn't have friends. I loved them, of course, but it did keep me busy so I wasn't so alone. After being bullied through high school, it's helped me with my depression. I don't always run them, but the new releases are what give me life and I always look forward to the newest Tama or re-releases. They've helped me keep my depression a little in check so it doesn't get too bad for me and remind me there's still more in the future to come and to look forward to.

Rewriting this post in list form because I rambled and no one has time to read or scroll past my nonsense,but I've always struggled with my mental health and I feel like the good outweighs the bad for me in terms of helping me.

Upsides...

+ I like to keep track of things, I make spreadsheets for wishlists and my collection etc it calms me

+ It's a distraction (although this is a bit of a double edged sword) I overthink less about other stuff if I'm overthinking about this

+ They give attention, or it feels like they do when your person is away and actual pet is asleep but you need someone

+ The cuteness does just make me smile

+ I feel bursts of gratitude for having them and them helping me

+ Reassurance when you have to do things or be places you struggle with

+ I feel like I'm achieving something I actually want to achieve by taking care of them, or getting new ones, it helps me feel less stagnant

+ Tangentially relates to my other interests that I'm trying to get better at (Japanese, and art)

+ Sensory feedback is good

Downsides...

- Hobbies have a tendency to just take over a chunk of my life because they're like an escape from the badness

- I have problems with impulse control and managing my money so that's something I'm trying to get back under control since I've had a hard time of late

- I constantly worry that I talk about them too much and that my person will get fed up (he hasn't before when I just wouldn't shut up about other stuff but I worry)

I am disabled due to a variety of mental illnesses. Depression, anxiety, OCD. I actually haven't had a Tama around in a long time. I do have Furbys, little live pets dogs and Fingerlings dragons. I carry some everywhere. My version of therapy animals. But I can see benefits with Tamas the others don't have. I don't need a large bag to carry several Tamas, I can wear one on a chain around my neck at all times and clutch one in my hand in public if I'm stressed without anyone knowing. I forsee these guys having a very positive effect on my life in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back