Tamagotchi P's more expensive now?

TamaTalk

Help Support TamaTalk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

EXO

Reaction score
Hello!

This is my first post on this forum so I already apologize for any mistakes in advance!

Since three years I wanted to buy the Tamagotchi P's in purple. Back than 50€ (60 Dollar) were a lot for me so I always decided to buy it later. Recently I decided to finally buy it but where ever I look the price has more than tripled! From 50 to 150... The cheapest Tamagotchi P's I found costs 100 but it's a blue one... So does anyone of you know why the prices have risen so much? Or does anyone know where I can buy it 'cheaper'?

Thank you!

I'm afraid you have to understand that when it comes to collector's items, "waiting until it becomes cheaper" doesn't really work, unless the version becomes a flop. And it so happens that P's is probably the most popular color version because of it's versatility- it has an english patch and virtual deco pierces as well as a lot of other downloadable content, making it more or less infinite, therefore really popular with collectors, causing a scarcity on the market due to demand.

And P's hasn't been in production for way more than three years, so there's that. It was released six years ago.

However, there are some cheaper alternatives for you:

https://japanyouwant.com/product/used-tamagotchi-ps-pink-w-love-melody-no-box-bandai

https://japanyouwant.com/product/used-tamagotchi-ps-yellow-no-box-bandai

Last edited by a moderator:
Sadly, I think that certain sellers on ebay might also be manipulating the price of the P's since, yes, they are selling very quickly for the above mentioned reasons, but they also still seem to be abundantly available (e.g. the supply is still meeting the demand; there are many listings). Sometimes online sellers will raise the price of an item when they notice that other sellers' or their own listings have sold above a certain number of units. The P's will probably remain so highly priced until another tama comes along that can match it in terms of user created content.

At least JYW seems to put pretty reasonable listings for their used P's. I think they get a lot of their toys directly from thrift or used hobby stores in Japan, where ironically there is probably a slightly lower demand for the toys.

Looking at Ebay's sold listing for the Tamagotchi P's, some have sold for around 50$-70$ Canadian, a few of them in auctions. Bear in mind, it was just the used physical device alone and perhaps with a few small add-ons. So if you are still in the market, it looks feasible to stalk Ebay and wait for a good deal to come along. This strategy can really work for any Tamagotchi and also you might get a better deal at auctions where the price is usually set lower and ends lower than buy it now options - unless the seller has put in reserve price on par with everything else.

Personally, I don't find the price too much of a hassle as I'll likely only get one of a version anyway.

Just got a tamagotchi p2 back in my life. 😇 It has a blue shell with a black border yellow buttons and silver lettering. On the back it says bandai 1997 made in China. I love it so much. We just evolved today and got a pair of legs! 😊😊 I paid like 45 bucks for it and shipping was included. I can't find pic of it anywhere on the internet tho. I wonder what it's worth?

From the older topics I remember, the price of a Tamagotchi can greatly vary. Not all countries got the same shell designs and thus one shell can be rare in one country and common in another. It all depends on what someone want to pay for it. Understandably, shells that are in good condition can go for around $30-$50 (Canadian), while Tamagotchis new in box can go for around $50-$80, and shells in poor but working condition can go for $20-$30. The market is constantly changing and sometimes certain shells pop up more often than others, thus changing their value. Of course, if a shell is a special edition (also here) or a known to be rare (at the bottom) then the price will definitely be higher. Therefore I'd say that your P2 is probably worth the price you payed for it, $45.

ebay prices are ridiculous. you're better off going through some of the facebook groups (tamagotchi collectors, tamagotchi traders).

traders has a pretty robust reputation system, and i got a p's for 45 as opposed to the 100's on ebay, and that range was pretty common there.

The prices on traders are pretty good but it depends how much they want to charge for shipping, sometimes registered shipping from countries other than Japan is more expensive to ship to places like Europe, and oftentimes people on such groups don't even want to ship outside of US or Europe. I do like the price of shipping on JYW personally that's why I rather buy there than on facebook groups or ebay.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back