Tamagotchi Target Audience

TamaTalk

Help Support TamaTalk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hmmm I think TT should do something or the whole tamagotchi thing about both for girls AND boy will go pop. Like that!

I do agree with you. The commercial looks very girly (only has girls). My sister is going to turn 12 today, and she hasn't been playing her tamagotchi at all. The targeting audience is right - 7-12 girls are most interested. I would rather buy a 1997 tamagotchi because it doesn't look too girly.

I am not even playing my tamagotchi much. Maybe they should make the audience 6-9 years old. That may get more applause. 1997 tamagotchis I would say could be for all ages. Even people of their 40's and 50's would enjoy it much more than the others. Apparently, Bandai won't be getting much money out of the boys if they keep on making it girly.

I've been thinking about the age range, and Bandai has turned to a younger audience over the years. I have a friend that has a V1, and NOTHING except the design on the front was boyish or girlish! The characters were the classic tamagotchi blend of animal/imaginary creature.

The V1 was a PET. Since then it has became a cult, really. ( which is good in some ways ) It used to be a creature that you fed, watched, exercised and loved. Now tamagotchis have jobs, are more like humans, and are so advanced that they require far more care. These things gave Bandai a chance to become more age and gender related. Just look at the V4 character chart! I'd say that 7 or 8 of the 52 characters looked like humans. It isn't much, but it started out as none. And all of the human-like characters were introduced in V4s! Bandai really went gender related in V4s.

When I see what V5s have, my reaction might be :kusatchi: , :eek: , or :kuribotchi: . It's all possible, I just hope Bandai does the right thing.

B) GozarutchiGuy :D

[SIZE=14pt]Well my brother is eight and hes getting a Tama in half an hour soo that adds a boy who looves them! B) [/SIZE]

Last edited by a moderator:
The V1 was a PET. Since then it has became a cult, really.
A cult? How? Tama's aren't taking over a bunch of people, brain washing them and then telling them to drink poison. o_O

I wish they were portrayed as a 'big kids toy' a little more if you know what I mean. People always give me wierd/funny looks when I tell them I play with tamagotchies. Lol. It doesn't stop me from playing with them, but it'd be nice if they were considered 'normal' for teenagers to be playing with them.

Ah well, BANDAI does what it has to do.

[SIZE=14pt]Well my brother is eight and hes getting a Tama in half an hour soo that adds a boy who looves them! :( [/SIZE]
[SIZE=14pt]Sorry, scratch that. My brother bought one last night but now, he doesn't want it anymore! :( And I PAYED FOR IT![/SIZE]

yeah I believe its for all gender but its true its for boys and girls if it was only girls it would be unfair

yeah I believe its for all gender but its true its for boys and girls if it was only girls it would be unfair..
[SIZE=14pt]Why would it be unfair?[/SIZE]

It would be great if the industry stopped trying to make virtual pets seem like such a girl thing, but the truth is that most boys aren't interested in that kind of thing. There are a fair amount of boys involved with virtual pets, but most of the customers are young girls, so if it seems like the marketing strategy appeals more to girls, it probably does (deliberately, too) just for maximum profit. When you get right down to it, tamagatchi's are really gender neutral because all you're doing is raising a pet, but maybe there would have to be more than that for boys to be interested. (like blood and guts and fighting XD)

What I mean by cult is how INSANELY popular it is! There are thousands of websites on tamagotchis, millions of Tama fans, and Bandai even talks about " Livin' the Tamagotchi Life " ( I know I'M living it! )

I guess "cult" isn't the perfect word. Lifestyle makes more sense. I used to be completely addicted to Tamas, and now they aren't quite as interesting to me :( .

A Tama geared to teens would be good. Heck, in 12 months I'll be a teen, and I might not like the things Tamas have anymore :( ......

I used to see 15 year olds with Tamas, but they were V2s. Like I said before, V1s and V2s were more like pets. They would appeal to anyone of any age. But now......

I would like to see a Tamagotchi Teen ( well, that's not QUITE the right name ), a Tama That would appeal to older kids and adults. I know that Bandai couldn't go back to V1 like things, because every version of tama gets more complex, and going back a few steps wouldn't make sense. This is why I think they should branch out.

:D GozarutchiGuy :eek:

Invasion of the dancing Ninjas!

:eek: :gozarutchi: :gozarutchi: :gozarutchi: :gozarutchi: :gozarutchi: :gozarutchi: :gozarutchi: :gozarutchi: :gozarutchi:

(im a girl BTW)

I also find this disappointing...V1 was for evry1!!! And V2...and V3....there were girlier ones, camo ones, silver ones...yellow ones...etc. They werent focused on children but adults as well! Before if u had a tama..u were kool! Or you just had a tam..so wat? But now if u hav one u are looked upon as childish! This is wrong! TAMS SHOULD BE 4 EVRY1!!!

;)

The new 4.5s seem to have more male designs than the others did. At least there is one boyish design: the black with flames. This one my brother wants. It seems that more boys than girls had v1s at my school. My friends Brett and Trevor had a orange one and a green one. My brother also had the green one. I think that as long as Bandai keeps throwing some boy designs in the mix and makes commercials that aren't so girlish, boys will continue to be into Tamagotchi; whether they realize it or not, these are not just popular with girls. Perhaps more boyish characters should also be considered? My brother's favorite is Gozarutchi, the ninja.

could it have to do with the fact that they are made in japan and are designed by japanese artists? everything with the japanese color code looks girly even the rubik's cube!

Most people in my class have a Tamagotchi!(Some boy and some girls)

Yeah, I guess that is a bit disappointing. I think that Bandai should make some boy designs and some girl designs, or designs that could be both boy-ish and girly. Take a look at the V4.5 designs - some designs are girly like the Hawaiian Blue and, just like what PeaceFrog777 said some are boy-ish like the Black Flames design. Others can go either way, like the Stained Glass design, but I do get how boys feel. I guess that most Tamas are rather girly, and only some are boy-ish. And yes, I also think that Bandai should make their Tamas for EVERYONE, not just for children.

BanDais annoying me now. I'm a boy, and mostly every tama I have is girlish 'cause they never have boy designs. I'm made fun of for having a Hawaii flower V3 (AGGHHH!), a lightyellow butterfly V2 (AGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHH!), a sunflower V4 (AGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHH!), a darkpink flower V2 (AGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHH!), and much, much more! I'm also forced to hang out with girls (I don't mind) because they're the only ones who appreciate me having girly tamas! And they also care about my tama's life!

Last edited by a moderator:
I think all of my designs are neutral (except, to a lesser extent, by blue V1). I have solid blue V1, Dark Green camo V2, Snakeskin V3 (broken because I tried to disable the debug-it worked but now my tama "runs out of batteries" every few hours) light green camo V4, blue with candy Entama, and Rising Sun V4 (I still wish I'd gotten a Glow In The Dark! It was out of stock! Darn!). They all seem neutral to me.

Just about every girl in my old class has atleast two!!!! Eventually the boys started asking to play with them. Now almost my entire old class (we graduated just the other day) has atleast 3 tamagotchis!!!!!!!! i think their aimed at girls but both girls and boys like to play with them!!!! BanDai is like any other company:split thier products to either girl or boy. Companies can't see both girls and boys can like the same stuff!!!!!!!

On Age Target:

Tamagotchi was originally made for children so I don't see anything wrong with the age limit and except it. The designs sometimes bother me, for the most part when they consist of childish ones. *sees self now walking around with a lipstick V2* (never in my life!) Like quite a few of the V4.5 designs though :(

On Gender:

Bandai has defiantly been aiming at girls buying tamagotchi from the start in 2004 with the femine designs. Seems like very few male designs have been made since then. I personally believe its whatever floats your boat. Doesn't matter by gender or age just by what interests you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back