The Great AMV Guide

TamaTalk

Help Support TamaTalk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

temari_sensei_girl

Reaction score
After a long hard search through youtube I found out a sad yet undeniable fact. MOST AMV's SUCK (please take no offense, you know it's true.)

So I'm want to start a topic about giving ideas to people so they can make them less suckish. Of course, starting with my own few tips and then if you want to add on or state your opinions feel free.

And if you make an AMV AFTER reading this and want to share, knock yourself out. Anywayz, here goes nothin'.

1.) If it's an anime you're AMVing then here's a huge tip that many people just never follow. If you take clips then get either the RAW or DUBed PLEASE. No one wants to see subtitles. It's not hard to get it where you can take it apart and use it, so why make the cruddier version? Download the RAW, please.

2.) If there's a particular place in the song that's supposed to be infasised by using the character your AMVing to sing the part then PLEASE make sure the mouth goes to the words. I understand that to a person not experienced in the art of AMVing it can be rather difficult, but if that is you, either work on it harder before sending it to the public, or don't do it at all. It's that simple. Make the mouth work people! (great, THAT sounded perverted... >.>)

3.) One really cool thing I've seen is that there is a little white space during the main beat as it switches from one clip to another. This is almost always affective in getting the audiences attention. Also fading during retardando sections in the song is a good idea. USE THOSE VIDEO EDITING TOOLS!

Opinions and further tips are accepted. Unnecessary flames about my dramatic criticism are UNACCEPTABLE and will be removed.

That's a little harsh saying that most amvs suck. People work hard on those. Not to be mean, but I'd like to see one of YOUR amvs.

The editing tools is a nice idea, but the subtitles one I think is more of an opinion. Some people don't mind subs and some do. I personally enjoy reading them. x3 Saying that if you aren't capable of properly syncing mouths with the song then you shouldn't show your video is a bit mean. o.o

Anyway, other tips could be to use a catchy title. I know that has absolutely nothing to do with the AMV itself but it will grab the watcher's attention. Also something else could be is to make the theme and main idea of it visible. Like don't throw a whole bunch of random clips in there and people wonder what the heck this is about...(which kind of leads back to the title idea.)

I think I'm out of ideas. I'll come up with something though. Expect to see me back here again.

I actually think it's weird with someone's mouth matches with the music ...

Well, what I look for in an AMV is when the scenes go with the music. The timing has to be right.

I don't mind AMV's without special effect things, but ones with the effects usually interest me more.

See, I looove

//www.tamatalk.com/IB/applications/core/interface/js/spacer.png is still awesome :3 [ Those are best in HQ / HD. Especially the first one. ]

Last edited by a moderator:
That's a little harsh saying that most amvs suck. People work hard on those. Not to be mean, but I'd like to see one of YOUR amvs.
The editing tools is a nice idea, but the subtitles one I think is more of an opinion. Some people don't mind subs and some do. I personally enjoy reading them. x3 Saying that if you aren't capable of properly syncing mouths with the song then you shouldn't show your video is a bit mean. o.o

Anyway, other tips could be to use a catchy title. I know that has absolutely nothing to do with the AMV itself but it will grab the watcher's attention. Also something else could be is to make the theme and main idea of it visible. Like don't throw a whole bunch of random clips in there and people wonder what the heck this is about...(which kind of leads back to the title idea.)

I think I'm out of ideas. I'll come up with something though. Expect to see me back here again.
Yeah, I know it was kinda harsh. Sorry. My "other side" was on right then. (let me jsut put it to you this way. Split personality SUCKS!)

Anyways, you're probably right. I, personally, have never made an AMV, but that's because my retarded dad won't show me how to work his mac AND my little sister hogs it AND my siblings aren't exactly "saportive" of my like of anime. (as in, if they saw me trying to make one they'd make fun of me.)

I'm sorry if there was something my personality said that was rude, but I just can't help it sometimes. Still great tips. thx bunches! XP

I don't think most suck. And the fact to use video editing tools, not everyone has a system that has very good editing tools and sometimes it looks better without them. As the subtitle thing, I agree. Get the dubbed version, not that hard. But sometimes it is hard so don't Criticize on that. But the mouth thing, completely agree.

Latest posts

Back