The reply from Nick Xenophon...

TamaTalk

Help Support TamaTalk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

terr0rflare

Reaction score
Nearly 3 weeks ago, I sent an email to the Australian Independant Nick Xenophon, who is calling for a ban on Tamagotchi, this email:

Dear Mr Xenophon,
This week, I joined many Tamagotchi players in the activity of rolling their eyes at their television screens during Channel 7's report of the MLP calling for the OFLC to reclassify the latest version of Tamagotchi to the threat of "gambling addictions" it posed. If you are so concerned about the "gambling problems" these small pixel-based toys pose, where were you when Nintendo's Pokemon games, which also feature gambling references, were released? According to your biography, you formed your "No Pokies" campaign in 1997, correct? Pokemon games have been in Australia since 1995, and games such as Pokemon Gold and Pokemon Silver, which have gambling games, were released in 1997. And even then, Pokemon Ruby and Pokemon Sapphire were released in 2001, still involving gambling references (for which they received the G8+ rating). And they have many more features of gambling compared to Tamagotchi, most notably with their improved graphics thanks to the Game Boy Advance screens (compard to the Tamagotchi's pixel LCD screen). And Pokemon Emerald was only released only 2 months ago, also with gambling games. I am stressing my point extremely here: Where were you when these games came out? Of course, I have no problems with the Pokemon games themselves. I have been a player of Pokemon since 1995, and I played the gambling games, but I'm not down at the Pokies pouring away my life's savings. The only concern I have is why you are only targeting Tamagotchi, and not approaching Nintendo about their Pokemon games. Honestly, even the Pokemon Pikachu toys, very similar to the Tamagotchi toys, had gambling features. In fact, the gambling game was the ONLY game on the Pokemon Pikachu. And it went out of fashion about 4 years ago. If you were honestly concerned about kids being trained to gamble, you should have researched a little more. Why you are only targeting Bandai is quite a legitimate question, so I will ask you - why Bandai alone?

According to The Australian (https://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5744,16139305%255E1702,00.html), you want an "R" rating imposed on the toy line. Surely, as an MLP joining the band wagon of the nation's anxious parents, you should know that the OFLC's classifications for video games, including toys, only range from G to MA 15+ (https://www.oflc.gov.au/special.html?n=175&p=134). In their recent revision of the classification system, the OFLC have still not included the R rating for video games. Strange, considering every politician seems so concerned with protecting their nation's children. An R rating for video games would certainly protect children from purchasing games such as Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas (which was recently reclassified, and taken off retailers' shelves as of last week), and inform parents to make the right decisions when purchasing games for their children. And in the end, to think, you want to place Tamagotchi, a pixel-base, pet-raising game that teaches children about responsibilities, on the same moral, and legal, level as Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas, a game that involves gangster themes, violence, drug use and, more recently exposed, sex scenes (fully clothed, mind you).

So Mr Xenophon, if you truly want to fight the Pokies, take a step back, have a deep breath, and review a humble Australian citizen's advise: leave the innocent kids alone to enjoy what fun and games they can before the nation's anxious parents decide that all toys and video games are evil and focus on the adults who are already addicted to gambling and supporting the families who are already affected by it.

Catherine Ring

Frustrated Tamagotchi Owner, Video Game Player, and University Student.
Just now, I received this reply from him:

Dear Ms Ring,
Please accept my apologies for not being able to respond to your email of 6 August 2005 any earlier.  I am sorry that I could not respond to you any earlier because of the literally hundreds of phone calls, letters and emails I get each week and the relatively limited resources I have to deal with them.

You are not alone in your criticism of my approach on the Tamagotchi game, but I would like to sincerely thank you for putting such a considered view across unlike some of the messages I have had.

I had previously raised the issue of gambling features on Pokemon games, and the former Government dismissed those concerns.

I raised this issue publicly about being contacted by a parent that was concerned about the pokies feature on the Tamagotchi on their 6 year old son.  I obtained advice from Dr Paul Delfabbro from the University of Adelaide Psychology Department and he provided his expert opinion that the feature on the game was undesirable and that it could lead to a higher incidence of problem gambling behaviour amongst children exposed to it.

Dr Delfabbro has referred me to extensive literature on youth and adolescent gambling patterns.  His email address is '[email protected]'

He has also referred me to work by Professor Mark Griffiths at Nottingham Trent University. A summary of which is available at www.ntu.ac.uk.

I also bring to your attention the link between such kids games and poker machine manufacturers.  The company that makes Tamagotchi is about to merge with a company that makes poker machines.

You are right that the focus of my activities should be (and is) to tackle the problems caused by gambling in the community (primarily pokies), but I feel that I wouldn't have been doing my job if I didn't raise the concerns of the parent that approached me, backed up by the independent opinion of a problem gambling expert.

I accept that you don't agree with my position, but I hope you can at least understand it.

Thank you again for such a considered letter, despite the fact you fundamentally disagree with my position.

With best wishes,

NICK XENOPHON

Independent No Pokies Campaign

Member of the Legislative Council

Parliament House

North Terrace

Adelaide  SA  5001

ph:      8237 9112

fax:      8231 0525

e-mail: [email protected]
And my reply to this?

Mr Xenophon,
Thank you very much for responding to my email. I understand that you are a very busy politician, but I am still a disgruntled one.

I can understand Australia's parents being appreciative of you raising this issue with the slot game on the Tamagotchi device. My concern is this: instead of Australian parents researching the games included on the Tamagotchi and letting them decide for themselves whether the device is suitable for their children, you are calling for the Government to ban them in the name of good parenting and looking after our children. In my view as an Australian citizen, this is not good parenting. Good parenting would be using the internet to its most potential in order to find out what games there are on the Tamagotchi, and deciding whether the slot machine game is suitable or not for their children. The typical way for the Tamagotchi to get to its target audience, the child, is through the parent. The parent should be deciding whether the Tamagotchi should be suitable for the child - not any other party. The fact that Bandai revived the series has been great for people such as myself whom enjoyed them as a child. My mother and father decided what was appropriate for me as a child, and they did so sensibly. If I wanted a toy, they would ask me why I wanted the toy, what I would use it for, and investigate the toy for themselves to see if it would provide negative influences. If they did not think it was suitable, they would not buy it for me, and explain to me why I should not have it. I would understand and take onboard their advice. This has helped me become a better person, and taught me the rights and wrongs in the world. That is good parenting. Most parents that have bought a Tamagotchi for their child have bought it because the other children at school have one. Mr Xenophon, would you mind asking the concerned parent of the 6-year-old victim of this notorious marketing if they went to the trouble of making sure the Tamagotchi was appropriate for them? I would be interested to know if s/he went to the trouble of deciding the Tamagotchi's suitability for their child.

Personally, I think the former Government were right to dismiss your concerns for the Pokemon games. The OFLC, despite their lack of R18+ classification for video games, are a competent agency. Their classifications of the Pokemon games did include the Mild Gambling References classification, which is responsible, and informs parents of the risks. Even then, I lost interest in the gambling mini games as they were not related to the storyline of the game and have learnt from such an experience to avoid poker machines, as they are very, very boring. If you still have concerns with the Pokemon gambling games, why not raise them with the Howard Government? Pokemon Emerald was only released in June 2005, and that involved gambling games.

The reports by Dr Delfabbro and Professor Griffiths do show a potential link between youth and gambling problems, but must Tamagotchi be removed from the market?  If parents really want to prevent gambling problems, get rid of the poker machines! I know that is not as easy as it sounds, but it is a lot better than telling your child that Tamagotchi must not be sold in Australia because of the potential gambling problem, but parents are still allowed to play their dangerous poker machines. That's what I find most distressing and appalling.

As I stated before, Bandai and Namco are in the planning stages of merging. This would have absolutely no influence on this particular version of Tamagotchi, as the Japanese release of the Tamagotchi was seen in March 2005, long before Bandai and Namco announced their merging plans in May. Again, I ask, should the Dancing Stage/Dance Dance Revolution series be banned because of Konami's production of poker machines?

It was wrong of me to say you are not doing your job - I support your cause for the removal of gambling machines nation wide and your continued support for the families coping with their gambling problems - your actions are commendable on that front alone. I just would not be playing my part as a passionate fan of the Tamagotchi series to let my opinion remain silent. I really hope your actions do not lead for the Tamagotchi series to be banned from toy stores, as older children and adults who can understand the potential influences and make decisions for themselves would certainly be missing out on the popular toy. We are hoping that Bandai will release their Tamagotchi Mini series despite the concerns parents have raised, as it is simply another toy we are looking forward to playing. I would understand your position better had you taken the approach that parents should decide what is best for their children, not the Government, instead of trying to ban the Tamagotchi series in the name of good parenting.

Regards,

Catherine Ring
Discuss?

As an update, Tamagotchi are not off the shelves, as I bought Toys R Us' limited edition colours this week :( *phew!*

Last edited by a moderator:
whoa.....that's.....Is it just me, or did Nick sound like he was bringing up smaller details in the Bandai company to raise the concern bar on the Tamagotchi?

And how is Namco a gambling company, exactly? I know Namco purely from Tekken, but other than that...nothin'

Nice work! I am so happy you did that. Someone needed to speak up about the issue and you put it perfectly! Well done!

Nicks responce was not a good one. He basically re-wrote what you wrote. And adds alittle comment to it, insted of diccussing the issue.

I watched that program on TV and i was shocked - i mean seriously, as if that is teaching young kids to play on pokies. :( .

Absolutely OsuMesu21. That's what politicians do - they select the things they can prove with facts procured by other people. Not much more than that...

I was actually surprised I got a response from Nick Xenophon. I could imagine this new Tamagotchi fiasco taking up a looot of his time. In any case, I wasn't satisfied with the response. He made some good points, but really, over looked so much I did say. Thanks for the support jappyx and OsuMesu21 ^__^

Cursed Independants! >_<

That was SOOOO awesome! I'm glad someone here spoke up against that IDIOT. :marumimitchi: great thinking! But his reply... kind of sucked. anyways, I hate that guy. He's WAY over too protective of his kid, if he has one.. :chohimetchi:

that was very well written - i doubt Mr Xenophon was expecting such a response and obviously he wasn't really able to respond in the same manner.

his comments about some of the views that were less well considered is actually quite offensive too since one would assume many of these were from younger tamagotchi owners who may not be able to express their views so well but nonetheless are entitled to express them!!

So basically the dude's saying, "You're right that I hate pokies, and the darned government wasn't listening to me when I wanted to ban Pokemon RIGHT IN THE MIDDLE OF THE POKEMON TREND so now I'm trying to ban one of the world's most popular toys. Ha ha!"

Well, maybe not exactly that, but he's still taking this way too seriously. Come on, man, it's a TOY! ;) The things people get worked up over these days...

I got another reply:

Dear Ms Ring,
Thank you for your email of 19 August 2005.

I can understand your concerns, but at the very least the publicity relating to the Tamagotchi game has made some parents think twice about buying a game with a "pokies like" feature on it, and I would have thought in itself would send some message to the makers of Tamagotchi, not to incorporate such features on their games.

I will also follow up the Pokemon Emerald game that you refer to.

Of course I am not suggesting that the Dancing Stage/Dance Dance revolution series be banned because of Konami's production of poker machines.

I would like to think that the outcome of all this would be that there is a greater awareness of the part of parents of the gambling type features of such games so that they can make their views known to the manufacturers.

With best wishes,

*NICK XENOPHON*
I don't know why he included the *'s in his reply, or maybe it was in my email client o_O

My reply to this:

Mr Xenophon,
I am glad your expected outcome would be that parents had a greater awareness of buying products for their children and understand what features the games involved, and if they really do have those concerns, they can forward them to the manufacturer. I would think this a much better outcome than the bans you called for very public on the Today interview. If you did the same with Pokemon Emerald, by all means go ahead. Raise the concerns you have, raise the parents concerns, let the manufacturer know, but bear in mind these are minor games within the game. Pokemon is not all about gambling, nor is Tamagotchi. They should not be removed from the market because of their lesser games. This would be more appreciated by the public.

I would imagine you would suggest that the Dance Dance Revolution games be removed, as following your logic that Bandai's products should be removed because they are merging with Namco, also makers of poker machines. That's the logic I see at face value, which I found flawed as a result. I am glad you would not suggest such a thing.

The players of Tamagotchi and Pokemon would appreciate you raising your concerns so such potential gambling influences be removed from future products, but we do not appreciate our fun and games being taken from us as a result of potential concerns. Thank you for taking our opinion into serious consideration.

Regards,

Catherine Ring
So, it seems that he has dropped his campaign for getting rid of Tamagotchi and now focussing on making parents more aware.

w00tw00t.

Well i guess that is a sigh of relefe. Thank you for doing that. Awesome job!

But seriously, he is way over protective.

No worries :D I felt it had to be done!! I really did, so I put all my effort into swaying his mind. Tamagotchi still haven't been taken off the markets, nor has this slowed down the arrival of the Tamagotchi Mini for Australia! BRING ON TAMAGOTCHI FOR DOWN UNDER!

Just want to say thanks for the support to keep up this mini-Campaign - if it weren't for your comments, I probably wouldn't have done a good job due to lack of support!! ^_^ ;; It was really frustrating, but, yeah... At least his opinions have been swayed. It was all for the love of Tamagotchi!!

Oh and Nick Xenophon is gonna come to my house and take awawy my nano and 2 tamagotchis! :angry: :( !Maybe he's 20 and dosen't know how fun they are! :(

I thought that it was verry interesting of corse Mr. Xenophone failed to realize that kids really do not care about hte slot game it is just a stupid(well not stupid)game and it does not mean anything. I mean will any one who is addicted to gambleing because of tamagotchi please stand up. :huh:

No worries :rolleyes: I felt it had to be done!! I really did, so I put all my effort into swaying his mind. Tamagotchi still haven't been taken off the markets, nor has this slowed down the arrival of the Tamagotchi Mini for Australia! BRING ON TAMAGOTCHI FOR DOWN UNDER!
Just want to say thanks for the support to keep up this mini-Campaign - if it weren't for your comments, I probably wouldn't have done a good job due to lack of support!! :mellow: ;; It was really frustrating, but, yeah... At least his opinions have been swayed. It was all for the love of Tamagotchi!!
It's okay. All of us here at TamaTalk have one thing in common. We all love Tamagotchis. And if someone takes them away (or attempts to) we are all going to act, and act fast.

I think that someone had to do it, and you did a great job. So well done! :rolleyes: .

He's DROPPING IT?! WOOOHOO!

*can now sleep at nightzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz*

Yay!!! Finally he realized "duh the game doesnt really mean anything" and is finally dropping it! Great job!! :angry: :angry: :mametchi: :mimitchi: :ph34r:

Well real life gameling is BAD! Because it get's u adetict to:Slot,poker,blackjack is bad! Oh! Yeah and today i was at target and i was looking for tamagotchi and he bring's up a or slot game! :)

Listen ppl! Let's hope Nick dosen't come!!!Ok!Well this nick guy maybe dead already!He's maybe 100!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back