The unpopulars.

TamaTalk

Help Support TamaTalk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

animelover22

Reaction score
I don't read "Popular Books" all that much. All over I see Twilight, Twilight, Twilight! I'd like to talk about books that are NOT like those for once. This is for books that are not movies or bestsellers EVERYWHERE! And remember, don't spoil the ending ;)

The Giver-

A boy named Jonas lives in a community with no memories, imaginations, or color. That is until he turns 12 and gets his assignment. Memorizer. He then learns colors, memories an everything else. He decides to leave the community with Gabe, a child about to be "Released" (killed). They go on a perilous journey to Elsewhere, a place with everything they never had. What happens in the end? Read the book to find out.

Your turn to make an unrecognized book shine!!

A lot, get ready for a paragraph XD

"Time Cat" By Lloyd Alexander

Time cat is one of the best books I have ever read. It's about a boy named Jason who has a cat who takes him back in time and they have little adventures in the old times. It's separated by sections (The sections are the places they are currently at and what time) and there's chapters within the sections. They go to many places including Egypt, Ireland and more. It's a really good book. Certainly worth reading. Time Cat link

"Gossamer" By Lois Lowry

I really love this book. It's pretty short and looks like a children book, but it has a lot of big words and has an amazing plot. Here's the summary of it online: Where do dreams come from? What stealthy nighttime messengers are the guardians of our most deeply hidden hopes and our half-forgotten fears? Drawing on her rich imagination, two-time Newbery winner Lois Lowry confronts these questions and explores the conflicts between the gentle bits and pieces of the past that come to life in dream, and the darker horrors that find their form in nightmare. In a haunting story that tiptoes between reality and imagination, two people—a lonely, sensitive woman and a damaged, angry boy—face their own histories and discover what they can be to one another, renewed by the strength that comes from a tiny, caring creature they will never see. Gossamer Link

"Schooled" By Anisha Lakhani

Amazing book. It's about a woman who has dreamed to become a teacher, she eventually teaches a private school but learns that it's not as amazing as she thought. She learns tutors do all the work for her students and that she has a very small paycheck. Then she learns of the business of tutoring, and becomes a tutor as well as a teacher. Great book but very mature, it swears a lot and has adult content. Schooled Link

"The Westing Game" By Ellen Raskin

Amazing book. The plot has a lot of twists and turns so don't read if you get lost easily, but if you pay attention, you'll end up loving it. Here's a brief summary of the book, in a way it's a lot like Clue

"Sixteen individuals, of all ages, races, and socioeconomic classes, most of whom live or work in the Sunset Towers apartment building, are summoned to the reading of the will of wealthy industrialist Samuel W. Westing. The will is in the form of a puzzle, dividing up the sixteen heirs into eight pairs, giving each pair a unique set of clues, and challenging the heirs to solve the mystery of which of the sixteen of them killed Westing; whoever solves the mystery will inherit Westing's $200,000,000 fortune. Friendships between the sixteen heirs are made, broken, and mended as each pair attempts to pursue the solution in their own way. As the participants' wild accusations fly, only one heir keeps a cool head and solves the puzzle."

Amazing book, and has a very mind twisting ending. Highly recommended. The Westing Game Link

"Jade Green: A Ghost Story" By Phyllis Reynolds Naylor

I really admire this book. It has a great plot and it's an amazing story. It's about a young girl named Judith Sparrow who moves to her uncle's house. She is to bring no green to the house, but she can't leave the picture of her mother in the green frame so she brings it and hides it. Later, she finds out a young girl about her age named Jade Green used to live there, she killed herself by chopping off her hand and bleeding to death, her favorite color was green. Now, Judith discovers by bringing in green she may have awakened the spirit of Jade Green. Great book, takes place in the late 1800's Jade Green:A Ghost Story link

Those are all the best fiction books I've read :D

[SIZE=21pt]EDIT:[/SIZE] The Westing Game link is a wikipedia link meaning there is a solution section, people planning on reading the book are advised not to look in this section

Last edited by a moderator:
Unpopular books. Well, I guess the books I normally read my friends read them or I see someone with them so I don't think they would be classified as 'unpopular'...

o.o

But I did read The Giver. It wasn't that bad actually. A little confusing at times, but not bad.

The Westing Game. Oh, my, goodness. xD How confusing that book was. I forgot almost everything in that book. I remember some characters and vaguely the ending.

Right now I am reading The Luxe by Anna Godbersen.

I am only on Chapter 7 so I can't give you many details about it. :)

The Giver is actually really popular for novel study.

A book that I like that no one else actually reads is 'The It Girl' series.

I read the Giver. I read ahead, we're reading it in school. But I didn't really understand the ending. Is it a symbol?

--

Noughts & Crosses- Malorie Blackman

Good book.

It's set in a world where Crosses, darker skinned people are considered better than Noughts, lighter skinned people. Sephy, a Cross, and Callum, a Nought have been best friends since they were young, and their friendship, which turns to love eventually, is frowned upon. I don't want to give it all away, but the story can be compared to Romeo and Juliet, according to Wikipedia.

A Mango Shaped Space- Wendy Mass

A favorite. It's about a girl named Mia, who has synthesia. (Synthesisia...hard to explain.) Mia sees colors and shapes when she hears noises. I'm not that great at summaries, so here's a link.

The Devil's Arithmetic- Jane Yolen

Amazing<3333

The story begins with the main character, Hannah, going to "greet" the spirit of the Prophet Elijah on Passover. when she does this, she is transported back to 1942 in Poland, during World War II, and ends up being captured and going to a Concentration Camp.

The Lucky One- Nicholas Sparks

My Sister's Keeper- Jodie Picoult (not really unrecognized, they're even making a movie..)

Lovely Bones- Alice Sebold

Flush- Carl Hiaasen (and Hoot- Carl Hiaasen)

There's a Wocket In My Pocket- Dr. Suess

I love My Sister's Keeper. It's amazing. I can't wait for the movie.

Oh, Life as We Knew It by Susan Beth Pfeffer (don't you just love her last name? xD) Really, though, it's great. I can't wait for the last book.

Perfect by Natasha Friend.

Lush, also by Natasha Friend.

The former is about a bulimic girl, who is forced to go to "Group" where she becomes friends with Ashley and learns about her life.

The latter is about a girl with an alcoholic father.

I wanna read Bounce by her.

I can't think of any others right now.

Breathe - a ghost story - I like ghost stories. It's about this boy who can see ghosts. It's a bit scary, but I like it. :]

I read The Giver o: It's actually quite popular. It just isn't about a couple teens falling so deeply in fantasy love that they'd accidentally commit suicide when seperated. Also, it hasn't been made into a movie, so that might be another thing. And the cover might intimidate people... no offense to anyone who really loves the cover.

But my favorite book so far was Hunted - Fake ID and the sequel Hunted - Club Dread.

They were just... @_e Pure awesomeness that somehow found a way to fit itself onto pages.

Yeah. And I can prove that I loved it to death. Try to find one sentence that I've ever posted EVER that has me saying ONE negative thing about it.

200 points to the person who can ;]

... HEY YOU.

I read A Mango Shaped Space. That book was awesome o:

Latest posts

Back