what is your opinion on school uniforms

TamaTalk

Help Support TamaTalk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My school doesn't allow jewellery at all. And when you wear earrings you can wear only studs, and you can't colour your hair a colour that is not a natural hair colour (i.e you can dye your hair blonde but not pink, or blue), and you're not allowed to wear nail polish B) Too many boundaries!
Yeah, my school is the same. But the thing to do is look for loopholes in the dress code! Try out loads of cute hairstyles (that's what I do to keep myself always looking different and not boring!) and even if you are only allowed studs for your earrings, get lots of different colors of studs! Hope I help! ^ _ ^

Seeing as I am an Adult, I don't go to school anymore :angry:

We have two schools really near our house - one has uniform, the other doesn't.

The kids from the school with the uniform look fine - It's black skirts/trousers, red jumper, tie (black/red/white stripes), black blazer, black shoes. They don't all look the same - the kids are all different shapes, sizes and skin colours, but they do look kind of similar.

They have "styles" in the way they wear their uniform - the thickness of the tie and how many stripes are showing, the length / cut of the skirt or trousers, the length / style of the socks worn with the skirt, the style of the hair.

They don't have a uniform rule for school bags so they have some very varied styles for school books :angry:

The kids from the school without the uniform mostly look ok too - although I have to be honest, some things they wear to school are totally unsuitable for a normal school day in the class ... guys with trousers hanging so low round their hips (so their underwear is showing) that they can't actually walk more than about 4 steps without having to hitch their pants up... B) , girls with full make up, tight little tops, skirts or shorts so ... brief and skimpy that they look like they are "touting for business" from male clients on street corners instead of being on their way to a science class.

There's nothing wrong with expressing yourself, I just don't think it's really very healthy to express yourself as a potential prostitute or a laughing stock who can't keep his pants up...

Maybe those kids are in the minority at that school - but I do know that a large majority of the kids are so obsessed with wearing the latest style / brand name that they are rude or mean to those kids who aren't wearing the latest vans or UGGs or Nikes or the right label of skinny jeans... seems kind of a shame that the most important value they give themselves and their peers is what they are wearing - not what sort of person they are...

*shrugs*

Are kids personalities today really so limited that they believe they can only express their creativity and individualism through clothes?

No! It can't be true! ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
TamaMum's post was quite interesting B)

I can express creativity and individualism through writing and artwork too. It's just that I enjoy expressing it through clothing as well.

bratzroxg (sorry I don't know how to paste quotes properly), I don't wear earrings I'm just saying that there's too much boundaries xD

Our school only allow plain gold or silver studs though ~

AND we aren't allowed makeup apart from a simple light foundation base >_< But I do take your advice about trying different hairstyles. It's just that I'm really rushed in the mornings. I need tips on getting out of bed xD

[SIZE=13pt] >:3 Of course...Anime usually over exaggerates with their girl uniforms xD...Like mini-skirts? wtf. lol[/SIZE] 

:mellow: But I've never had to wear a uniform before. So I'm not sure what it's like. ;)

But I think I would like choosing my outfits, apposed to being forced to wear the same thing everyday. D:
I WTF at those skirts. The real skirt's are long like, halfway down your knee's. I wouldn't mind those.

My parent's made me wear a uniform in Pre-school. I never cared really T_T It did get annoying because I perfered jeans and a shirt.

And it doesn't bother me if I wear a uniform or not. The style is what will irk me.

I liked having uniforms in middle school because it took out the "I'm better than you because I wear this brand and you don't" [we weren't allowed to have logos on our shirts]. It also made it easy because you can just pull out a shirt and pull out a bottom and there you go.

I sort of like uniforms, and sort of hate them. It depends.

If they're the cool type- yeah I like 'em.

But if they're stupid, with bowties and stuff...

EWWWWW.

I have my own personal take on uniforms at our school, I go to a strict Catholic Private school run by Nuns. It isn't that bad, but after 6 years of going to the school, I found certain loopholes in our lovely school uniform. Because we are so limited to what we can actually wear I just wear my school plaid pants, they don't look bad on me, but they don't compliment me either, the colors are dark green, with thin red stripes and thicker navy blue stripes. Six years later, I'm finally used to it, then I wear my silly polo shirt, which I only wear the first button unbuttoned, otherwise I would choke, and my school hoodie :3 We are only aloud to wear black shoes with a heel of less than 1" So I found these really comfortable black dressy looking shoes, but they are really sneakers. Recently they were telling us wearing our hair up in different ways every day was crazy, so just keep it simple. Everyone in our class disagreed and no one has gotten in trouble for wearing and 'odd' hairstyle yet. We aren't aloud to wear dangle earrings of any sort, so I plan on making another trip to Claires before school starts, I managed to find some cute zipper earrings that didn't dangle below my ear, so I couldn't get in trouble, while still expressing myself. Nail polish is also banned, which makes my life harder. I am trying to quit biting my nails, which I can't do unless I have Nail polish or gum. Well, gum is obviously a no. So I am stuck wearing clear, one of my friends forgot to take off her black nail polish once, so she had to wear a glove on one hand all day.

We aren't aloud to wear jewelry, at all, but I didn't listen to that either, and I wear my ring, and all 8 of my rubber band bracelets that I wear everywhere I go. As for our 'no coloring your hair' rule, you just aren't aloud to color your hair, no matter it be blond, or pink. One girl bleached her hair, but didn't get in trouble. While another kid dyed his hair red, and they made him cut it all off. This really limits me to what I am going to do when I color my hair this summer, obviously, I don't listen.

They also pick out people with different colored book bags. The rule is only school book bags, which I find funny because everyone had bright red, and purple and orange book bags, but the one year I use the wrong book bag I had to get sent home, to buy a new one. Either they want money, or they just like yelling at me. The same thing happened with my fall coat. I had a purple fall jacket, and you are only aloud to wear navy blue jackets. After that I just didn't wear jackets in the fall. What I find funny about that is, we went to around thirteen stores to find a navy blue winter jacket, we found one, for $40. When I went to school in that I was irritated to find out that winter jackets could be any color.

As you can see, we have some strict teachers, and staff. Or they just like to pick on me, which ever, I would much rather go to a public school where all I had to do was worry about everything the night before, and get up, get dressed, brush and put my hair up, eat and go. Not so many rules there, and relatively simple.

That's just my take though.

Tara

bratzroxg (sorry I don't know how to paste quotes properly), I don't wear earrings I'm just saying that there's too much boundaries xDOur school only allow plain gold or silver studs though ~

AND we aren't allowed makeup apart from a simple light foundation base >_< But I do take your advice about trying different hairstyles. It's just that I'm really rushed in the mornings. I need tips on getting out of bed xD
I don't wear earrings either, but I wish I did! I totally get what you're saying about there being too many boundaries, but you can still look for loopholes, as I said earlier. Yeah, having plain gold or silver earrings would limit you, but if I went to your school (and had my ears pierced) I would alternate between gold and silver! ^ _ ^

And you're allowed a 'simple light foundation base' so you should definitely take that opportunity and wear foundation! Many schools would not let their pupils wear any make up at all! My school doesn't, but if you make it look natural, nobody guesses!

For example, I am relatively pale, and I put some blusher on every day to give me color - it just looks like my natural skin tone, so nobody notices! You could try that (or a natural-looking lip color or fake tan or something like that)

And if you want tips to get out of bed early, buy yourself some chocolate or your fave breakfast cereal and put it downstairs in the kitchen for breakfast! You won't be able to resist! Or ask your mom to come in and take the covers off so you have to get up! Or set a mobile to a really loud & annoying ring tone and put it over the other side of your room so you have to get up to turn it off!

In my old school there were uniforms. You didn't have to wear them, but you could if you wanted to. In the school I go to now, all they have is school colors, no uniforms. Although I did hate the uniforms in my old school.

At my high school we can wear almost whatever we want. There is a dress code but they don't enforce all of it, just the baggy pants and the "tall tees". Girls can wear tank tops and even strappless shirts. They don't even enforce the "4 inches above knee" rule anymore!

My school is very laid back. There is only one teacher who actually talks to you if you have too short of shorts, even the principal doesn't care!

I don't think uniforms sound that bad, at least you wouldn't have to worry about what you wear to school. But, I guess I would kind of dislike not being able to wear what you want to school. Like, if you got a new shirt, you wouldn't be able to show anyone til the weekend. =/

My school is very laid back. There is only one teacher who actually talks to you if you have too short of shorts, even the principal doesn't care!
I don't think uniforms sound that bad, at least you wouldn't have to worry about what you wear to school. But, I guess I would kind of dislike not being able to wear what you want to school. Like, if you got a new shirt, you wouldn't be able to show anyone til the weekend. =/
The only teacher that cares in our school is the Principal! ^ _ ^

And it's alright not being able to show off your new shirt. That way no one can get teased for not having one, but everyone can wear their best clothes and make an impact every once a term, on Mufty days! =D

I've never had to wear a school uniform, but I think it would be nice in a sense.

Nobody could get in an argument about clothing, you never have to worry about how you look(even though I never do/did), and it makes the school look nicer/more professional.

The only thing I would hate about it is not being able to show my individuality. Not being able to show off my own sense of style.

Overall I think they're a good idea, but like I said, I have no personal experience with them.

I love uniforms because

You don't have to pick out the "perfect" outfit each day

You don't have to worry about what people are thinking about what you're wearing

You don't have to worry about people teasing your shirt or something

I hate uniforms because

You can't show your personality

You can't wear new clothes you got

You can't wear special clothes (ie; a shirt that you wore to a concert of your favorite band and they signed it)

You don't have a good reason to go shopping for clothes

It's a love/hate relationship between me and uniforms. We dont have uniforms at our school and I'm happy about that.

I've never had to wear a school uniform, but I think it would be nice in a sense.
Nobody could get in an argument about clothing, you never have to worry about how you look(even though I never do/did), and it makes the school look nicer/more professional.

The only thing I would hate about it is not being able to show my individuality. Not being able to show off my own sense of style.

Overall I think they're a good idea, but like I said, I have no personal experience with them.
Thats what I was going to say.

Ps.(do you use toothpick as chopsticks?)

i hatttttte them! our new unifrom is a purple blazer, grey trousers and for the boys they have to wear ties and we dont! ha! anyway i hate unifroms!

~M_P

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back