Why don't people like to read?

TamaTalk

Help Support TamaTalk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I love reading. My brother hasn't read anything since he was very little though. However, he has ADHD, and the idea of sitting down, doing something quiet for a long period doesn't appeal. He doesn't like reading because books physically can't hold his attention span for very long. That said, he always used to listen to audio books (which I never did).

In my country, school is so hard (expecially High School) that there's barely time to eat and sleep if you want to do your homework and study. Plus we constantly have books from school to read: being in Italy means that we have gazillions of famous ancient writers that any professor wants us to know -___-. I began reading a lot more when I went to University, because I could manage my own time, unlike previous schools. When you spend more than 10 hours per day on school books, you don't want to spend other time reading, even if it's for your entertainment: I began having headaches after a while :( However I love fantasy books, mostly if they have to do with dragons ;) And I LOVED the HP saga! :D

//www.tamatalk.com/IB/applications/core/interface/js/spacer.png
OMG I remember that episode XDDD I still watch that show now and days lmao D.W "Who's Dewy?!"

Too much has changed in the 2014 imo everyone seems to forget about books :< I wouldn't be surprised if books no longer were made later in the future

In class we have something called a weekly tally, where we keep a reading log and at the end of the week, we add up how many pages we have. The first week we only had 3 days, and on Monday the teacher asked how many pages we read.

Teacher:(name?)

(Name): 62

(Name):83

(Name):29

Teacher: Kathy?

Me: 626

Everyone: ._.;

This world revolves around the internet -_- .

Video games are not everything, or teachers would assign 2 Pokemon battles for homework instead of 20 minutes of reading. It's for our knowledge.

Too much has changed in the 2014 imo everyone seems to forget about books :< I wouldn't be surprised if books no longer were made later in the future
Hmmm... your statement reminds me of a book that I read back in high school. It was called "Fahrenheit 451" by Ray Bradbury. It took place in the future where there were no books, magazines, newspapers or other information the public could access. No one was allowed to read. Can you imagine not being able to read? All the world's books were burned. If there were any books left they were hidden away and kept as treasures. Oh and if you didn't guess it already, Fahrenheit 451 is the temperature at which books burn. ;)

I really liked this book and other stories written by Ray Bradbury. I use to read all the time while I was in school but after I graduated college and started working, the less free time I had to sit down and read a good book. Recently, another book I read in high school became a movie: The Giver. It's based on the book of the same name, "The Giver" by Lois Lowry. I really want to see this movie and see how it compares to the book. It looks really good. Then I want read the book all over again. :D

I love video games! Video games are fun; but, reading helps build your vocabulary and communication skills. I always try to find interesting newspaper articles to read. I work for my local newspaper, which means that I always have the latest and greatest information at my fingertips. :)

I love video games! Video games are fun; but, reading helps build your vocabulary and communication skills. I always try to find interesting newspaper articles to read....
^

This.

Build your vocab and communications skills through reading - even boring, older books.

You'll win a lot more discussions / debates / arguments ... and respect from others for your communication skills ;)

I always read the blurb of the book to see if it is interesting or not. Plus, luckily my teachers don't give me any boring books to read. :p

I used to love to read for a good portion of my childhood, in fact in 8th grade I won an award for being one of the top readers that read the most books during the school year. However, after 8th grade, I completely stopped reading cold turkey because reading started to become frustrating for me. That is why I don't like reading anymore.

I love to read. That said, I haven't read a book in months, and the last book I read before that one was a couple years ago. I find that I'm just too busy nowadays with school + work to want to come home and sit somewhere and read a book. I'd rather come home and just lay on the couch, watch a relaxing video on YouTube, idly browse my favorite websites and then play a video game until it's time for bed. Reading after having to read textbooks for school and words on the computer at work just gives me a headache.

They think it's 'nerdy' and 'boring'.

They also think they can obtain knowledge throught video games....

But when there ain't no Wifi.... and they got to research with an encyclopedia....

Not so nerdy and boring now, am I right?

Well, I like reading but I don't read that much. That's because I have to get REALLY into something to really enjoy it: movies, books, videogames... If I don't like something nearly on a 100% I abandon that thing right away. So yes, reading is boring for me most of the time but I'll never say I don't like to read because I really do, but just certain stuff. I'm guessing maybe it's the same for most people - they haven't found a book they actually enjoyed yet, so they probably think all books are boring.

But that's just my guess, and I know some people don't like to read at all and I think that's fine. There's plenty ways to learn about things.

Also, I'd like to clarify that I think every one of us likes to read. We spend time on the Internet, most of the time reading, even if it's forums or webpages. We read all the time. Some people just don't like reading BOOKS. That's why I think it's really not that big of a deal if someone won't read books; they'll build their vocabulary anyway. And I must say I've met people that read a lot of books and they were really, really bad at communicating and had a poor vocabulary. It depends on what books you read too.

I love reading, but often if it's only on my own terms. I'm sure I'd have loved certain books better if it wasn't an assignment to do so, but reading books is definitely something I love to do. I went to a local bookstore earlier today and oH MY LORD I FORGOT THE EXCITEMENT IN BROWSING HNGNNGNNGNNGNGNGNN

I'm a periodic kinda reader, like I'll go without reading for two months, and then go on a ten book reading spree for two weeks. It really depends on how good the book is for me :) )

Most of the people who I've asked why they don't like to read say because "it's just full of words" and "boring" and these people usually opt for those with pictures or like short romantic ones that are very thin. Some just don't show interest in books at all or read a certain genre and that's perfectly fine. I mean, everyone has their own preference. As for me, I think they're missing out. Reading is great because it's an escape. Sad? Read. Happy? Read. Bored? Read. It takes you places inside your own mind and makes your imagination go crazyyy. And for those with eyesight problems, there's audiobooks (they should really make more of those stuffff)! There are so many good books out there! Go read one(!!!)

Another thing: Aside from not wanting to read books, people also don't like reading forum posts, articles, etc that are more than a few sentences long. On other forums and sites I always see people say stuff like "Too long, didn't read" when the thing wasn't long at all.

I feel like with all the technological advancements we have in video games, movie special effects, etc, people are more likely to go to the easy and quick entertainment than to reading. I know many people prefer watching movies based on books than reading the books themselves. I think society as a whole adores quick fixes and the easy way of doing things, which unfortunately leaves things like reading books and writing letters at a disadvantage. Facebook is the main form of communication, and anything that isn't quick & requires effort is tossed aside. Maybe not everyone is like this, but I have been seeing it more and more.

But I also think with reading specifically, it also depends on the person.

I used to be an avid reader. I would everything and anything I could get my hands on. It was an escape from really difficult times.

Like, I would read stuff like sociology books (as soon as I was able to read), Homer (when I was seven), Tolkien (middle school), but as I got older, I started using the internet more, and I started to not "have time" to read.

I started to realise as well, that I couldn't see as well, and that I couldn't focus as well (I wear glasses and have ADHD).

I haven't read anything in ages, though I plan to read a book for a feminist reading group I joined soon.

I do find it so amusing that I read the Odyssey when I was seven, but couldn't finish the Illiad in high school. xD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back