Yay! I might be getting a hamster!

TamaTalk

Help Support TamaTalk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tamagirl_Desy

Reaction score
Hi guys.

I asked my parents yesterday if I could get a hamster, and they said they'd talk about it! YAY! I've always wanted a hamster! ^^ Do any of you have any tips for me, if I do end up getting one? Help would be greatly appreciated!

~TGD

Hamsters are great fun, but if you dont liek cleaning up ever week, they aren't the pet for you (Or me for that matter xD) Make sure that s/he is well feed, they eat a lot.

Try here, for more information. Try to pick teh healthiest one there. I have two and my dad picked them out (Cookie and Creme) When you first go to pick it up, where mittens so It gets used to you holding it, though my hamsters never bit me I reccomend this, then try with no gloves. Also try hand feeding them so they get used to you. Otherwise you will have a very frightened hamster.

Holding a hamster~

ALWAYS support its bottom, and hold its back with yor other hand, Try not to drop them (Esspecaily if you have a huge dog, *Whistles*)

Well, thats all I can think of now. I will see if I can post more later.

byez and good luck!

Kat

Yay for TG_D! ^^

Hopefuly your parents will let you get one. Remember not to push the issue and give them some time to talk about. Maybe in a week or so if they haven't said anything about it bring up the topic again. :]

Thanks you guys. :blink:

My dad is very hesitate about letting me get a hamster, and keeps trying to find ways to let me not get one. x.x So, finally, he said that if I cleaned up my room and tried on all my clothes (cause I have so many that I've never touched) then he'll consider it. And thats good enough for me!

Okay, this is what I was thinking for a hamster..

Getting a female, because I've heard from my friends who have hamsters their more good-natured.

To start, I would get a simple hamster cage with only one or two levels and no big and fancy.

There would be a wheel, something to chew, a paper towl roll to play in, and some other toy.

I would remove the woodchips/bedding every week and clean out the poop and pee.

Once a month I would clean the WHOLE cage, using soapy water and a few drops of mild disinfectant.

I'll make sure to put it somewhere where its not too warm or cold.

If the hamster were to keep me or my family up at night, I'd put the cage downstairs at night and up in my bedroom during the day.

I would feed her twice a day, remvoing old food.

I would always keep fresh water out, and changing the water whenever needed.

If I was to go to my trailor (which I do each weekened, but trailor season is ending very quickly) I could leave my hamster with my grandma or somebody I trust.

For the first few weeks I'd handle my hamster with gloves, so incase she gets nervous she won't bite my skin. Once she gets used to me, I can take off the gloves.

I would NEVER intentionally hurt my hamster, or do anything that may hurt it (such as putting her into a sock and swinging her around).

I'd give her daily excercise OUTSIDE her cage (in my room) so I'd shut the door, block off escape areas, and let her run free,

Every once in awhile I'll take her into my backyard and let her have a run om my trampoline (I don't want to risk her eating the grass, because of possible chemicals).

On the trampoline, I wouldn't boucne her, I'd just let her run so she can get some fresh air.

I'd keep her away from my cat so she would never be harmed.

I will be the one buying eveyrthing for her (treats, cage, HER, food, ect.) but if the price ends up being OVER 70$ then I'd ask my parents to pay 10 or 20 dollars.

How does that sound? ;)

~TGD

Keeping her FAR away from your cat is a very good idea!!! Haha the putting her in a sock and swingin her around part sounds kinda funny though! ;) Not that I'm saying you should do it, it just SOUNDS funny, and I'm not sure anyone does that. :eek: :blink:

Last edited by a moderator:
That's so cool! I have a Russian Dwarf Hamster called Charlie. :eek: It's kinda freaky, because everything you listed, I do. :blink: Good luck with your hamster. Are you getting a dwarf/sirian/don't know yet? ;)

That's so cool! I have a Russian Dwarf Hamster called Charlie. :lol: It's kinda freaky, because everything you listed, I do. :eek: Good luck with your hamster. Are you getting a dwarf/sirian/don't know yet? :(
Hm, well, I was thinking of a dwarf hamster but I've heard their harder to tame then Sirians. So, I've decided, that I'll just get the hamster I fall in love with at the store. :( I won't really bother about what type, but if I can I'll try and get a dwarf. Is Charlie hard to tame? :eek:

~TGD

Hm, well, I was thinking of a dwarf hamster but I've heard their harder to tame then Sirians. So, I've decided, that I'll just get the hamster I fall in love with at the store. :blink: I won't really bother about what type, but if I can I'll try and get a dwarf. Is Charlie hard to tame? :p
~TGD
Well, I have a Dwarf and my sister has a Sirian. Before I got Charlie I looked at this awesome website (for dwarfs mainly), here and got some tips. It says on most websites/hamster books that it takes a few weeks to tame them and that Dwarfs don't stay tamed so they need to be handled everyday (Sirians are permenantly tame). But as soon as I got Charlie out of his pet box bringing him home from the store, he acted like he was extremely tame, I mean extremely and he has never bitten/scratched me once. :)

So yes, Charlie was very easy to tame. :)

BTW: Charlie is grey with a dark line down his back like this, it is a split image of him. :)

Well, I have a Dwarf and my sister has a Sirian. Before I got Charlie I looked at this awesome website (for dwarfs mainly), here and got some tips. It says on most websites/hamster books that it takes a few weeks to tame them and that Dwarfs don't stay tamed so they need to be handled everyday (Sirians are permenantly tame). But as soon as I got Charlie out of his pet box bringing him home from the store, he acted like he was extremely tame, I mean extremely and he has never bitten/scratched me once. :blink:
So yes, Charlie was very easy to tame. ;)

BTW: Charlie is grey with a dark line down his back like this, it is a split image of him. :eek:
Hi Xx-Tama-Girl-Beth-xX,

I looked at that website, and I think dwarf hamsters are really cute. :p but I think I've decided that if I were to get a hamster it would be a Sirian(sp?). I like that they are larger in size, and that pretty much all of them become permanetly tamed. ^^

Also, I think 'll name my new hamster (if I get one, cause my dad said probably) Princess or Tanzie. I'm fairly sure I'll get a girl, but if I do end up getting a boy I'll name him TJ. B)

Thanks everyone! Keep posting!!

~TGD

Hi Xx-Tama-Girl-Beth-xX,
I looked at that website, and I think dwarf hamsters are really cute. :ichigotchi: but I think I've decided that if I were to get a hamster it would be a Sirian(sp?). I like that they are larger in size, and that pretty much all of them become permanetly tamed. ^^

Also, I think 'll name my new hamster (if I get one, cause my dad said probably) Princess or Tanzie. I'm fairly sure I'll get a girl, but if I do end up getting a boy I'll name him TJ. :kuribotchi:

Thanks everyone! Keep posting!!

~TGD
That's so awesome! Those are great names. :blink:

Hi guys.
I asked my parents yesterday if I could get a hamster, and they said they'd talk about it! YAY! I've always wanted a hamster! ^^ Do any of you have any tips for me, if I do end up getting one? Help would be greatly appreciated!

~TGD
[SIZE=21pt]before i start (as i might be nasty) ill say take or dont take my advice![/SIZE]

hamsters are no good as they sleep in the day so they annoy you in the night!

why not get a gerble? there sooooooooooo fun but you have to get 2 to keep each other company.

hamsters cost £20 for 2

gerbles cost £10 for 2

before i start (as i might be nasty) ill say take or dont take my advice!

why not get a gerble? there sooooooooooo fun but you have to get 2 to keep each other company.

hamsters cost £20 for 2

gerbles cost £10 for 2
Even though my hamster sleeps all day, normally I am still awake before I got to bed to play with him. There are odd days when Charlie is on his wheel a lot during the day. :ichigotchi:

EDIT: My hamster doesn't make a sound at night and I can get to sleep easy, this is because of his 'silent wheel'. May I recommend a silent wheel and a hamster not that heavy? Lol. :kuribotchi:

[SIZE=21pt]before i start (as i might be nasty) ill say take or dont take my advice![/SIZE]

hamsters cost £20 for 2

gerbles cost £10 for 2
Hi drwhokid,

Hamsters, where I live, are actually quite inexpensive. Heh, I MIGHT be getting my hamster tonight but I don't know for sure.

Also, about the wheel.....if it were to keep me up at night, then I was thinking of having her up in my room during the day, and moving her cage downstairs during the night. I have a cat, so I'd have to put her fairly high where my kitty wouldn't be able to see/get her. I was thinking on top of the fridge? And a blanket underneath her cage, so the coldness from the fridge doesn't make her hibernate/become to cold? Or no?

:wub:

~TGD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back