- - - - -

Are Tamas Really For "Little Kids?"

understand tamas age young

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

• dazzilitchigirl user photo
  • Group: TamaTalk Lifetime Angelgotchi

Posted 06 January 2012 - 10:29 AM ( #35 )

I think the target age is a little younger - 5-8 perhaps? - because I'm already getting teased/told I should have grown out of them by parents, and I'm only 10. Also, I really do not get this thing about why I qualify as a "younger kid". I mean, I'll be a teenager in three years, and If I'm still a younger kid, when will I be an OLDER kid? There must be some stage between a young kid and a teenager!

Well, a lot of you say Tamas are a bit like pets, and I'm currently taking care of my 5 (going on six) year old guinea pig as well as my Tama V5. The problem is, she doesn't really do much because in guinea pig terms she's about eighty. So it's a bit boring taking care of her, but I'd say the main difference is: Tamas are taken care of anywhere, using buttons to control their resources. With real pets, you have to wait to get home from school to feed and love them, and you actually stroke them and brush them etc. However, if you're squeamish or don't have much time, Tamas are great because they don't involve mucking out cages or any other downsides of real pet care. They also don't cost nearly so much; my dad and I did some math using the weekly cost of resources for my guinea pig, and worked out she costs more than $500 per year to keep! And no, she's not one of the special long-haired ones or a fussy eater or needs taking to the vet often or anything!

I have to say, I prefer my real pet to my Tama because she's more real; I mainly love Tamas because I'm one of those people who needs to collect and research SOMETHING, and because of TamaTalk and my friends here. But trust me, if there was DolphinTalk, I'd probably entirely drop Tamas and go back to my all-time favourite animal! Although of course I would have to stay on TamaTalk too...I could never leave this site...

Anyway, that's way off the point. I think pets are definitely not for little kids, and if they aren't, Tamas definitely aren't. I feel way more childish stroking my guinea pig than I feel playing my Tama.

Conclusion: I think neither Tamas nor real pets are at all childish. Nothing's childish except saying other people's interests are childish. :)

~ Dazzmina ~

• sangmo user photo
  • Group: Members

Posted 08 January 2012 - 12:37 AM ( #36 )

I personally think it's ok play with them even if you're an adult. :) (I'm a kid how should i know??)

• vesper user photo

Posted 08 January 2012 - 12:32 PM ( #37 )

Tamagotchis are for everyone! Yes, they are marketed toward young girls these days, but since it's a virtual pet, it's totally okay to have one.
It's the same thing with Pokémon, too...All of the other kids(mostly just guys) are saying "Pokémon is for babies/Pokémon sucks"(due to the fact that Pokémon is something people are into in second grade and it's not rated M), when I'm sure they wouldn't even understand competitive Pokémon battling. The funny part is, by college, people will be embracing Pokémon. XD
Anyways, I think Tamas are for everyone, boys and girls alike, and if someone teases you about it, ignore them.

• sandti user photo

Posted 14 January 2012 - 07:14 PM ( #38 )

I don't care what they are aimed at, the point is that I like them and I can't help that. You only live once so you should enjoy what time you have on earth to play with all the things you want without bothering with what people think.

I think that part of the reason I still love Pokemon and Tamagotchi is that my Nanny bought me my first tamagotchi when I was about 6 and also a pokemon game, so everytime I play I think of her and it reminds me of her so it makes me think she is not so far away.
I wouldn't change that for the world. It's special to me, some persons opinion isn't going to change that.
  • Violetchilluvr3 likes this

• ampersand user photo

Posted 14 January 2012 - 10:27 PM ( #39 )

I got my first tama (a white V2) when I was 10 or 11, now I'm 18 and I look at them as a collectible, and collectibles are for all ages. :)

Edited by ampersand, 14 January 2012 - 10:33 PM.

• tamagotchiteen3342 user photo

Posted 15 January 2012 - 03:18 PM ( #40 )

I used to think they are little kid toys... till i bought 3 of them today! (V1,V2,V3). I am 18, soon 19 so, im not little any more.

Edited by TamagotchiTeen3342, 15 January 2012 - 03:19 PM.

Eternal Mametchi Fan

• eternal-mametchi-fan user photo
  • Group: TamaTalk Lifetime Angelgotchi

Posted 24 January 2012 - 06:34 AM ( #41 )

Yes, Tamagotchis are for little kids and that's that. But who cares? There are lots of things for little kids that older people like. I'm 13 and I love Tamagotchis. You know, when they had Tamagotchi toys at Red Rooster I saw nothing but really, really young girls with the plushes. I was 10 and I was probably the oldest one there. But I didn't care. :unsure:

Pink Hippopotumas

• pink-hippopotumas user photo

Posted 25 January 2012 - 09:04 PM ( #42 )

Yeah, everyone in my year at school tease me about my tamas, infact, they put me off them!!!
but now that I am playing again, I've realised I've always loved tamas and I am always sayaing that I don't care what other people think about how I dress (Knee High Rainbow Socks YEAH!!!), what I do, who my freinds are, etc. but now, im proving i dont care what other people think about my little friends.

hm, i go a biiit off topic don't I?
I'm sure tamas were originally for boys and girls, but i guess it just appealed to girls more so they made more girl shells, but there are still boy ones.

• tamag9 user photo

Posted 29 January 2012 - 01:10 AM ( #43 )

I say all ages.

• ayan300 user photo

Posted 12 February 2012 - 07:16 PM ( #44 )

I say it's for all ages!

• nekopan user photo

Posted 13 February 2012 - 08:35 AM ( #45 )

People still think that tamas are for little kids. So do I.

So what? Everyone on this site enjoys them. There's nothing against that. I guess bronyism goes the same way.

• wintermaiden user photo

Posted 02 March 2012 - 09:59 PM ( #46 )

I think that it is just 'digital prejudice' they don't know me, so why should they jump to conclusions?
Tamas are for everyone, the tama business basically survives on us long-term tama players.
I think its silly, I mean, people us I-Pads and apps, so why not tamas?
Who cares what others think? Tamas are for ALL ages!