Are Tamas Really For "Little Kids?"

TamaTalk

Help Support TamaTalk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've said this a million times before and I'll probably end up having to say it a million more: Virtual Pets are for everyone.

There have been actual studies. It's been proven that caring for virtual pets has nearly the same health benifits as caring for real ones. It calms people down, lowers blood pressure and makes them happier. Virtual pets are important because it enables people to have pets in situations where they otherwise wouldn't be able to. Some people aren't happy without pets. I'm one of them. They're even working on pets that can be helpful. Pets that can remind sick or elderly people to take medicine and whatnot. Tamagotchi is no different than Paro or Aibo. They can be benificial to adults as well as children.

To me, Tamagotchis are meant for people of all ages. I dont see anyone playing Tamagotchi in Singapore anymore though. I really disliked it when i brought my tama along and my friends said that Tamagotchis are childish, old and boring. They aren't. There are new versions of Tmgcs being released, and whether it is old or not shouldn't be judged. Well my friend stopped playing them since 7 because they kept dying -.- Oh well. Even if you don't like it, dont go around calling your friends names. Everyone has their own mind and hobbies. I will seriously love it if i have a friend who plays Tamagotchi too.

I'm 27, almost 28 and I still love tamas!

Who cares what other people think... what's important is that you do things that make you happy!!

Besides, football, basketball, baseball, soccer.... those are all games right?! And I see lots of adults liking those games and playing video games related to those sports.... everyone has different tastes, likes/dislikes, just because tamas have always been sold with a package rating of "ages 6+" and not "E for everyone" doesn't mean that people over the age of 6 aren't going to fall in love with it ;-)

I will always enjoy playing these lil guys as long as Bandai continues making them, I don't care how old I am or what others think ♥

HF☼

I don't think tamagotchi is for little kids. I think tamagotchi is for all ages, wether your 5 or 50 i don't think you will ever be too old to play with a harmless little virtual pet. I am now 16 and i just recently turned 16, my brother and my nan are both saying i should have outgrown tamas by now, i was actually gonna stop playing with them at one point because of all the horrible things people were saying about them. But then i thought about this site, and how if it wasn't for tamatalk i probably wouldn't even be playing with tamagotchis. They would just be locked away in my closet.... and i would have probably eventually sold them online. But then i thought to myself why the heck am i letting these rude comments get to me? I can do what i like, I am a teenager i can make my own decisions, i don't care what other people think. So now i go around freely with my tamas bringing them out in public and playing with them. People give me some pretty strange looks but that's their problem they can think what they like of me i really don't care. My parents aren't too fussed about my playing with tamagotchi at 16 years old they don't seem to mind at all, which is good for me.

So all in all i think tamas are for all ages and that you shouldn't let people judge you for having a harmless little virtual pet, they are just little pets, i don't think they are going to cause any trouble.

Sakura <3

I'm 21 and I play with Tamagotchis. XD I bring my Tama-Go everywhere with me, if I'm hanging out with my friends I'll pull it out and feed it or play some games. The games are fun if you're bored or you're trying to kill time. ^^ And usually all anyone says to me is "Wow, is that a Tamagotchi? I remember those!" None of my friends actually care or judge me for it, they are a bunch of indifferent hippies. XD I think when you get to a certain age/point in your life, you just stop caring - or it might just be me. XD

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think tamagotchi is for little kids. I think tamagotchi is for all ages, wether your 5 or 50 i don't think you will ever be too old to play with a harmless little virtual pet. I am now 16 and i just recently turned 16, my brother and my nan are both saying i should have outgrown tamas by now, i was actually gonna stop playing with them at one point because of all the horrible things people were saying about them. But then i thought about this site, and how if it wasn't for tamatalk i probably wouldn't even be playing with tamagotchis. They would just be locked away in my closet.... and i would have probably eventually sold them online. But then i thought to myself why the heck am i letting these rude comments get to me? I can do what i like, I am a teenager i can make my own decisions, i don't care what other people think. So now i go around freely with my tamas bringing them out in public and playing with them. People give me some pretty strange looks but that's their problem they can think what they like of me i really don't care. My parents aren't too fussed about my playing with tamagotchi at 16 years old they don't seem to mind at all, which is good for me.

So all in all i think tamas are for all ages and that you shouldn't let people judge you for having a harmless little virtual pet, they are just little pets, i don't think they are going to cause any trouble.

Sakura <3
My nan was fascinated with my iD L when I brought it to her house. She printed out some photos I took for my log, and she still has them! She's really interested in modern technology, and you can't get much modern-er technology than an iD L!

My parents are always asking me when I think I'll grow out of Tamas. Saying "never" defensively would sound like the kind of thing a 5 year old would say about Barbie dolls, and trigger unwanted reactions including parents just laughing at me and treating me like a little kid. Okay, some of you see me as a little kid because I'm 10, but you know what I mean. When I told them there were adults playing with Tamas and on TamaTalk, they were really surprised and thought the adults were only moderators, not actual Tama-loving members (even though most of the moderators play with Tamas too). When I told them that the MODERATORS are into Tamas, they were extra surprised. And when I told them I'm the second youngest regular member as far as I know, they didn't believe me.

Most of my family think Tamas are for approximately 7 year olds, and I mean, no one in my family even PLAYED with them at age 7, not even me, it was part of my 2-year Tama break between age 6 and age 8 (long story why that happened)! I have a brother, I dislike lying so I won't say anything about his age, only that he thinks he's outgrown Tamas even though his age is very close to mine. My parents say it's my choice, but they think I'll stop playing with Tamas when I get to secondary school (I THINK that's the equivalent of middle school?). Nope. I want to be on TamaTalk for my tenth TT anniversary, which will be when I'm eighteen! Also I want to become a TamaTalk Angelgotchi as soon as I have my own credit card, not because I want the benefits but because I love Tamas and TamaTalk! Something nobody I know in real life seems to understand: ONCE A TAMA FAN, ALWAYS A TAMA FAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

~ Dazzmina ~

My nan was fascinated with my iD L when I brought it to her house. She printed out some photos I took for my log, and she still has them! She's really interested in modern technology, and you can't get much modern-er technology than an iD L!

My parents are always asking me when I think I'll grow out of Tamas. Saying "never" defensively would sound like the kind of thing a 5 year old would say about Barbie dolls, and trigger unwanted reactions including parents just laughing at me and treating me like a little kid. Okay, some of you see me as a little kid because I'm 10, but you know what I mean. When I told them there were adults playing with Tamas and on TamaTalk, they were really surprised and thought the adults were only moderators, not actual Tama-loving members (even though most of the moderators play with Tamas too). When I told them that the MODERATORS are into Tamas, they were extra surprised. And when I told them I'm the second youngest regular member as far as I know, they didn't believe me.

Most of my family think Tamas are for approximately 7 year olds, and I mean, no one in my family even PLAYED with them at age 7, not even me, it was part of my 2-year Tama break between age 6 and age 8 (long story why that happened)! I have a brother, I dislike lying so I won't say anything about his age, only that he thinks he's outgrown Tamas even though his age is very close to mine. My parents say it's my choice, but they think I'll stop playing with Tamas when I get to secondary school (I THINK that's the equivalent of middle school?). Nope. I want to be on TamaTalk for my tenth TT anniversary, which will be when I'm eighteen! Also I want to become a TamaTalk Angelgotchi as soon as I have my own credit card, not because I want the benefits but because I love Tamas and TamaTalk! Something nobody I know in real life seems to understand: ONCE A TAMA FAN, ALWAYS A TAMA FAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

~ Dazzmina ~
You are soooo lucky to have a nan that doesn't mind tamas!!! My nan just can't stand the sound of them and i always have to put my tamas on silent whenever i visit her. It drives her up the wall, and she keeps telling me that i shouldn't even be playing with tamas at 16 years old. But i really don't care, i am gonna keep playing with them no matter what. I love tamas and this website to much to give up just because some people are being rude to me about playing with toys.

My parents were actually quite interested in tamas at one stage, they were always trying to pronounce the names and i was laughing so much because they just couldn't do it!! :D But yea my parents are pretty chill with me playing with tamas at my age. Except there's a little bit of a problem when it comes to me asking if i could buy some online, they always say i have too many already.... but i tell them you can never have too many tamas!! I know they will probably eventually pull through and let me buy some more! But anyways as i said i don't care what other people think.... especially not my nan!

Sakura <3

It depends on your definition of 'for'. Tamagotchi are marketed at a younger, female audience, however, they are designed for a slightly larger audience. But even though they may not be designed for, say, 16 year old boys, there's nothing wrong with having them at 16, or if you're male.

Remember, for as long as anyone likes anything, there will be someone who dislikes it. There will always be someone who criticises them. Nothing anyone can like can be regarded as good by everyone.

It's a bit like bronies. I'm an open brony, and yet there are so many people who have never watched My Little Pony, and yet they seen to think that they know all about it, and so they constantly complain that it's 'gay' or 'stupid' or 'for paedophiles' which is completely false and completely sick. Don't be one of those people who judge someone by their opinions. Judge them if they judge your opinions.

My nan just can't stand the sound of them and i always have to put my tamas on silent whenever i visit her.
You're allowed your Tama's sound on at other times? Be grateful for it, I'm running a Music Star right now and I sooooo wish I was allowed to hear my Dazzilitchi's band performing! There's this one song they do, the Classical Genre one, that almost brings tears to my eyes because it brings back memories of my fourth ever Tama, Jack the Tarakotchi, who got a Classical Music First Ranking Award...but anyway, I have to keep my Tamas/DSi sound off at all times cause it annoys everyone except me.

I used to be allowed the sound on though, as you can see, because otherwise I wouldn't have heard Jack's band performing. But now my mom thinks children should be seen and not heard...and she also thinks moms should be heard telling their daughters to tidy their room, which is what my mom is telling me now.

~ Dazzmina ~

You're allowed your Tama's sound on at other times? Be grateful for it, I'm running a Music Star right now and I sooooo wish I was allowed to hear my Dazzilitchi's band performing! There's this one song they do, the Classical Genre one, that almost brings tears to my eyes because it brings back memories of my fourth ever Tama, Jack the Tarakotchi, who got a Classical Music First Ranking Award...but anyway, I have to keep my Tamas/DSi sound off at all times cause it annoys everyone except me.

I used to be allowed the sound on though, as you can see, because otherwise I wouldn't have heard Jack's band performing. But now my mom thinks children should be seen and not heard...and she also thinks moms should be heard telling their daughters to tidy their room, which is what my mom is telling me now.

~ Dazzmina ~
Oh trust me i am grateful for being allowed to have the sound on for all the other times. It's just when I'm around my nan, it bugs her big time :(

You have to keep your DSI sound off too?? Dude that sucks :( I just play with mine in my room hehe. But yea the only person in my life that is fustrasted by me having tamas is my nan. I don't see what the big deal is though, their just harmless little virtual pets as i have already said.

Sakura <3

I personally don't think that tamagotchi's are for little kids. Yes, people always tell me that tamagotchis are a child's toy but if they really cared about you, they wouldn't care what toy you played with. If someone tells you that they are for little kids and that it's "immature" just think that it dosnt make them any more mature then you. If anything, it makes you more mature because you are taking the responsibility and taking care of a pet. If its a good hobby and you like it, ignore comments like this because tamagotchis make you happy! Be proud of your hobby!

I think they are marketed towards younger kids, with the target age being like... 9-12. But being 17 and a senior in high school I am deathly afraid of anyone seeing me with a tamagotchi, especially because everyone knows I've been playing with them since fifth grade and I have a problem with social anxiety, but that's another story. I don't think there's anything wrong with tamagotchis at any age.

I think the target age is a little younger - 5-8 perhaps? - because I'm already getting teased/told I should have grown out of them by parents, and I'm only 10. Also, I really do not get this thing about why I qualify as a "younger kid". I mean, I'll be a teenager in three years, and If I'm still a younger kid, when will I be an OLDER kid? There must be some stage between a young kid and a teenager!

Well, a lot of you say Tamas are a bit like pets, and I'm currently taking care of my 5 (going on six) year old guinea pig as well as my Tama V5. The problem is, she doesn't really do much because in guinea pig terms she's about eighty. So it's a bit boring taking care of her, but I'd say the main difference is: Tamas are taken care of anywhere, using buttons to control their resources. With real pets, you have to wait to get home from school to feed and love them, and you actually stroke them and brush them etc. However, if you're squeamish or don't have much time, Tamas are great because they don't involve mucking out cages or any other downsides of real pet care. They also don't cost nearly so much; my dad and I did some math using the weekly cost of resources for my guinea pig, and worked out she costs more than $500 per year to keep! And no, she's not one of the special long-haired ones or a fussy eater or needs taking to the vet often or anything!

I have to say, I prefer my real pet to my Tama because she's more real; I mainly love Tamas because I'm one of those people who needs to collect and research SOMETHING, and because of TamaTalk and my friends here. But trust me, if there was DolphinTalk, I'd probably entirely drop Tamas and go back to my all-time favourite animal! Although of course I would have to stay on TamaTalk too...I could never leave this site...

Anyway, that's way off the point. I think pets are definitely not for little kids, and if they aren't, Tamas definitely aren't. I feel way more childish stroking my guinea pig than I feel playing my Tama.

Conclusion: I think neither Tamas nor real pets are at all childish. Nothing's childish except saying other people's interests are childish. :)

~ Dazzmina ~

Tamagotchis are for everyone! Yes, they are marketed toward young girls these days, but since it's a virtual pet, it's totally okay to have one.

It's the same thing with Pokémon, too...All of the other kids(mostly just guys) are saying "Pokémon is for babies/Pokémon sucks"(due to the fact that Pokémon is something people are into in second grade and it's not rated M), when I'm sure they wouldn't even understand competitive Pokémon battling. The funny part is, by college, people will be embracing Pokémon. XD

Anyways, I think Tamas are for everyone, boys and girls alike, and if someone teases you about it, ignore them.

I don't care what they are aimed at, the point is that I like them and I can't help that. You only live once so you should enjoy what time you have on earth to play with all the things you want without bothering with what people think.

I think that part of the reason I still love Pokemon and Tamagotchi is that my Nanny bought me my first tamagotchi when I was about 6 and also a pokemon game, so everytime I play I think of her and it reminds me of her so it makes me think she is not so far away.

I wouldn't change that for the world. It's special to me, some persons opinion isn't going to change that.

I got my first tama (a white V2) when I was 10 or 11, now I'm 18 and I look at them as a collectible, and collectibles are for all ages. :)

I used to think they are little kid toys... till i bought 3 of them today! (V1,V2,V3). I am 18, soon 19 so, im not little any more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back