If you're a kid aged 8-12...do you get annoyed when adults say you're a little kid?

TamaTalk

Help Support TamaTalk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Yeah, the title says it all. ;)

I get very annoyed when people say I'm a cute little child. I've been waiting for it to stop since - well, pretty much since I was a baby, and it doesn't stop even now that I'm 10. I wonder if any of you other kids feel the same way. I've always gone out of my way to act as un-cute as possible, right from when I was 6 and pushed an 11-year-old off some playground equipment to yesterday's assembly, but adults still treat me the same as the youngest 4-year-old in school. As I've got older, I've had more and more questions about why adults at my school treat children the way they do, and also less and less answers. Some adults seem to think they're superior to children...do any of you other kids feel the same?

I hope I have chosen the right place for this. ;)

~ Dazzmina ~

OMG this always happens to me. When we visit the high school they all look at us like were 5!! I hate is so much!! And when we viset one of my moms friends she always says were so cute!! I mean me and my sister are 11. Were NOT CUTE AND NOT A BABY!!!

I don't really get called cute as a 12-year-old. What I do hate is when people talk to me like I'm in 2nd grade. All that baby talk gets my blood boiling.

I'm pretty annoyed about that. :angry:
Whoa, you're actually younger than me, right?! I wouldn't guess because you are NOT cute, you are very mature and friendly.

I really hate it when this happens and kids are oblivious to it...there are very subtle ways of conveying it...it's sometimes just downright "aw, children, cute!", but I've also spotted many other ways. Anyway, when me and my brother got called cute at my mom's second counsin's wedding, my brother couldn't see this wasn't actually very respectful to him because he just looked at the person with big eyes, seemingly not realising he looked as cute as a 5-year-old boy could, which is quite a bit. I hated being 5, no-one ever took me seriously! I said I wanted to be a writer, and here I am getting the best grades in my class at writing, I said I wanted to be a Tamagotchi collector, and I now have 23, soon to be 24! Don't take them seriously when they say their big brother can jump over a tree that hasn't fallen down, but bear in mind these kids are sometimes serious. ;)

~ Dazzmina ~

Whoa, you're actually younger than me, right?! I wouldn't guess because you are NOT cute, you are very mature and friendly.

I really hate it when this happens and kids are oblivious to it...there are very subtle ways of conveying it...it's sometimes just downright "aw, children, cute!", but I've also spotted many other ways. Anyway, when me and my brother got called cute at my mom's second counsin's wedding, my brother couldn't see this wasn't actually very respectful to him because he just looked at the person with big eyes, seemingly not realising he looked as cute as a 5-year-old boy could, which is quite a bit. I hated being 5, no-one ever took me seriously! I said I wanted to be a writer, and here I am getting the best grades in my class at writing, I said I wanted to be a Tamagotchi collector, and I now have 23, soon to be 24! Don't take them seriously when they say their big brother can jump over a tree that hasn't fallen down, but bear in mind these kids are sometimes serious. ;)

~ Dazzmina ~
Yep, I'm a year younger than you. Whenever I hear that, I'm like, <_< ;

Lol I think that 12 year olds are kids. o.o

I think it's cute when kids come to my highschool, ahaha. c:

I don't know why it's insulting you guys, it's great to be a kid! Enjoy it while you can because you'll miss it later on.

When I was little I LOOOVED being called a cute kid, cause I knew I was a kid I guess, and I LOVED being a kid. xD Until someones about 14 I stop considering them kids. xD

i'm 20 but i would still like to add something to this topic.

First of all i consider anyone under 18 a "kid" not in a negative way it's just you're not an adult yet.

I'd also like to say people who are 30 consider me a kid! So it never really stops. People older than you will always think they know more or think of you as young it's unavoidable so get used to it there will always be someone who thinks they're "grown up" compared to you.

I remember being younger and how it felt to be viewed as a little kid, I was never bothered too much by it but it can be annoying. I don't actually remember "feeling" young though. In my memories i felt the same in my head as i do now. lol. I am still annoyed when people at my place of business think they are superior to me because they're older. However i've come to terms with the fact that they do have more life experience and might know more things than i do and have good advice to share with me. i still wish i could be considered and equal adult to them. Some of them don't even view me as an adult.

I agree with what booboo1 says about enjoying being a kid. I miss being little and having my mom tuck me in and put on my favorite tv show when i was sick. I miss how exciting going shopping with her at the grocery store was and getting a cookie or something. Enjoy the little things like that as long as you can, and the big things like not having responsibility. I remember being so mad i had to go to school! LOL now i'd rather go to school any day than have a job! xD

in closing remember things like this never really change. There will always be people looking down at you. Whether it's for age or what ever else. Don't let it bother you and be proud of who you are! :)

Lol I think that 12 year olds are kids. o.o

I think it's cute when kids come to my highschool, ahaha. c:

I don't know why it's insulting you guys, it's great to be a kid! Enjoy it while you can because you'll miss it later on.

When I was little I LOOOVED being called a cute kid, cause I knew I was a kid I guess, and I LOVED being a kid. xD Until someones about 14 I stop considering them kids. xD
It's insulting us because no-one takes us seriously. I wanted to be a writer when I grow up since I was 3, and no-one ever took me seriously, they thought I was just being silly and would never be any good at writing. But what am I doing getting the best writing grade in my class 7 years later? And people still don't take me seriously about it! Adults don't think we are entirely conscious, don't think we can make serious decisions. I love being a kid, but I'm not kid-ding every time I say anything.

My point is, if I say I will never leave TamaTalk out of choice, I won't. But adults think I'm just a little kid being cute and I will leave TamaTalk someday. You probably do too.

~ Dazzmina ~

I remember when I was your age, I hated being called a cute little kid and I just wanted to grow up.

Now that I'm older, I'd give anything to be called cute again.

Enjoy it while it lasts. Trust me.

enjoy it while it lasts.

because soon enough you'll realize you missed out on the fun of it.

i'm almost 13.

i think its totally fair, were still kids, and no you aren't as mature as you think.

adults ARE superior to children? they have had more experience because they're ADULTS, they've lived longer. they know so much more about the world then us. although they have no rights to push us around and have us do our slave work, there still the ones teaching us about the world that they've been in longer than us. they treat us like that because we ARE immature. no matter how much you try to force yourself to grow up, your immature, i'm immature, anyone under a certain age (21 i think?) is still immature, and you've got a LONG time before your 21. you can try as hard as you want to be mature but in 3 years your gonna look back and think, "i was immature." and in three years you'll still be immature.

i know this because that happened to me, i had the exact same attitude.

anyway enjoy it, i am.

enjoy being able to mess up, enjoy being thought as of cute. enjoy your childhood and stop trying to grow up and be mature and whatever because in the end its not worth while.

Last edited by a moderator:
I used to get annoyed when people called me a little kid but honestly you are. Even when you're 12. P: You're going to miss childhood so don't try to grow up too fast.

I'm in agreement with Aubrey Hepburn but not with rainbows.

rainbows.: Nobody, not even my best friend, can make me believe that any living thing is superior to any other living thing, only that some living things are superior to others in some ways but not others. For example, my size and intelligence is superior to that of a wasp, but a wasp can sting people and fly whereas I can't. Just as adults are superior to children in the sense that they have more life experience, children are more innocent and harder to corrupt with money or objects. Children often think for themselves and argue where adults are afraid to because children are not afraid of what others think of them. Adults are more self-conscious and people think that means more mature - but being self-conscious is, in a way, very immature.

Aubrey Hepburn: I completely agree with all your points. A lot of people are very mature socially but immature mentally or vice versa. In a way, the age you are is like a species of animal - each person is like a cross-breed animal. For example, I'm not entirely 11-year-old. My height equals that of a fairly short 13-year-old, my social skills equal that of an 8-year-old, my reading skills equal those of a 14-year-old, my weight equals that of a 10-year-old...you can go on and on. There's always some aspect of you that remains equal to your age, but in a lot of people, your maturity in many different ways strays from your age in years.

Last edited by a moderator:
At 25 years old, I can share viewpoints from both sides of the issue. I don't believe any human is superior to anyone, no one is better than anyone, and no one should be viewed as insignificant or lesser due to age or any other factor.

Immaturity is relative. Some people at 12 can be more mature socially or mentally than someone at 18. Some people at 20 have had more life experiences than some have at 40. It just depends on what you consider "mature".

At a very young age, you have not had the opportunity to experience many things in life that generally make up peoples' ideas of being mature. Having to have a job, paying bills, being responsible for others, etc. all fall under that category. It really isn't that fun, and in a lot of ways, you have less freedom as an adult than you do as a "kid". The advice to appreciate being a kid while you can may fall on deaf ears, but I speak from experience when I say that. :/

Sure adults may not treat you fairly or not take you seriously, but instead of getting all mad at them, prove them wrong. If you want to become a writer and an adult says "haha okay..." just show them how much you want to fulfill your dream.

Not to be rude because I do think you are very smart for your age, but I do honestly think that you think you're more mature than you really are. When I was your age I was a lot like you, then now years later I think... wow I really wasn't that mature. I agree with rainbow completely, as adults have so much more experience than you do and intelligent. Sure adults can be immature, but they've already been through a lot more things and know how to take care of themselves(paying bills, managing money, etc)

My dad always used to say that "Im just a little kid" and frankly I didn't mind. Yes, I was very mature for my age but I still knew that I had so much more to learn and go through.

I think that one of the things that made me enjoy my childhood and be so much more advanced than other children was that I always listened to those older than me. I preferred to be around adults, and it's insane how much it helps you to understand life more. I always paid attention to what my mom had to tell me about not rushing to grow up(unlike other people) therefore resulting in me living my childhood to the fullest and now I'm prepared and not an emotionally stressed out teenager. I also made sure to listen to everything she said about other people, and how kids weren't all the same as me mentally. So if I understood something and someone else didn't, I realized that they just haven't learned that yet and instead of getting angry at them, I would help them out.

I don't think that adults have the right to push and shove you around, but I do believe they have the right to call us immature and childish, because we are. You may think you're smarter than everyone now, but soon you'll realize you weren't as mature as you thought.

Sure adults may not treat you fairly or not take you seriously, but instead of getting all mad at them, prove them wrong. If you want to become a writer and an adult says "haha okay..." just show them how much you want to fulfill your dream.

I don't think that adults have the right to push and shove you around, but I do believe they have the right to call us immature and childish, because we are. You may think you're smarter than everyone now, but soon you'll realize you weren't as mature as you thought.
I do try to prove adults wrong about something - but it takes such a long time they lose interest in me and it really isn't worth bothering. I keep on trying...but by that time there are new people treating me the same way, not having known me for a long time.

I don't think I'm all that mature - I always seem stuck-up when I'm not, it's a common problem I have. I know I'm quite smart for my age, but I don't think I'm as mature as most adults. I'm not sure about teenagers. I'm not as mature as the teenagers here on TT, but to be honest everyone even 5-year-olds seem more sensible than the teenage girls who are exploited by advertisements and designer fashion brands. I don't think adults have the right to call kids childish and immature - some adults are immature and they don't have the right to call each other that.

I might not be as mature as one might think, but I do have more life experience than one might think. I've already thought I was really mature then found out a year or two later that I wasn't - don't get me wrong about that, if you were around in 2009 or 2010, you might remember Dolphin Girl and I can't imagine how hard you find it to believe that that childish 9-year-old was and is me. But I've asked my friends if I'm still immature here and they say no. I got my positive karma point here for changing my ways. I like to believe and I think it's safe to believe that I've changed once and for all. Of course there is still lots of room for me to grow and improve, but I'm not the girl I used to be and everyone - even my teacher and parents - agree with that.

I'm 13 and the reason people look at you and call you cute is because your smaller, People don't take you seriously because you are still really young and can change your mind a lot!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back