Tamagotchi Friends ... Worst Version Yet?

TamaTalk

Help Support TamaTalk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Also did you realize in the first pictures? They are not in the girls toys section, I'm glad spanish shops still don't see them as something for girls despite the add and comercials (because the fact that the comercial said amigas (Friends - only for girls) instead of amigos (Friends - for both girls and boys) made me really angry)it made me a little bit happy to see them in the unisex toys ;)
In Italy I see them in the unisex toys too, I'm glad Italians still consider it unisex despite the commercial.

It actually says amici in Italian, which means friends (boys and girls) but in some posters it's written scambia regali con la tua amica del cuore, which means exchange gifts with your best friend (girl), but it's really rare to find, and I don't watch TV but I actually think they're not airing the CM anymore because:

1) it's rare to find in shops

2) it's selling poorly because of the commercial, probably in Italy boys would enjoy Tamagotchis more, but also because the CM explains nothing, so they don't understand what kind of toys is, and there are few Amazon reviews and the only positive one is a person who bought it for boys (or for both boys and girls, nipoti can mean both nephews and nephews and nieces).

Oh, the price is the same as Spain...that's awful

3) Giochi Preziosi isn't caring about the product, Dream Town isn't even available in Italy, no webisodes, no figures, nothing, after 5-6 months!

I actually don't see them as a girls toy, Kirby is pink but boys here enjoy it more than girls.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm torn with the tf.. It was my first tama since the original v1. The size did shock me at first but I have adjusted to it. The only fault I found is the screen quality, my poor elderly eyes struggle to see the screen.

I ordered a tama p last night and am searching ebay for an original or v2. I might be able to compare the tf properly then

I'm torn with the tf.. It was my first tama since the original v1. The size did shock me at first but I have adjusted to it. The only fault I found is the screen quality, my poor elderly eyes struggle to see the screen.

I ordered a tama p last night and am searching ebay for an original or v2. I might be able to compare the tf properly then
If you're looking for something that is closer to an upgrade of the originals, I'd recommend one of the connections. The friends was ok for me, however I thought it was a but further from the feel I prefer. I never had the connection v1 or v2, however I love my v3. If you're looking for something a little more interactive the v4 and 4.5 are fun as well. I tend to gravitate back toward the simpler versions, although I do love my color tama! :)

Thank you for the reply, I shall keep my eager eyes on evilbay..

I'm just at a loss as to Bandai's choice of the Tamagotchi Friends for release to other countries. They know they have a fanbase other than Japan, so why then wouldn't they put their 'all' into making a tamagotchi for other countries? Or release an English 4u? No offense to anyone who likes TF, but to me they just took a bunch of cheaper materials slapped them together. Maybe if Bandai put a bit more effort into their tamagotchis intended for other countries or (heaven forbid) released an english color tamagotchi, sales would reflect that in the states and the UK. In this day and age of smartphones and tablets, not many people are interested in dodgy designs, less than innovative material, and no color screens.

I hope no one takes offense to this. I love tamagotchis since the day there were released, but this is starting to get a little ridiculous. I never liked the TamaGo, and this is a poor reflection of it. We want color screens, Bandai.

I think this is a product aimed at the nostalgia crowd, its not really intended for kids, as they would put it down immediately because of the dim screen, and the screens on their smartphones are sharp and clear. I can't see kids having too much interest in this product as smartphones command everything here, and most kids have little interest in gadgets like this one outside of smartphones. If this had a color screen it would be infinitely better. I would be willing to pay $30 for a tama that has a color screen. I have purchased a lot of tama over the years and I find that 99% of the tama's I get second hand haven't been used for more than a week or until the batteries die then they are not replaced. I suspect this one will be the same.

It must be selling because both of my TRU stores are sold out and I doubt any more are coming in, so stock on this item is a joke (how are they going to sell more if they can't restock?). Us TF owners also will have less owners to connect with if the stores are not restocking the product when it is sold out, as people will just forget about buying it if they don't see it in stores. There is also only one peg in each of my TRU stores devoted to this toy (more for the figures of course) and none of the stores can give me any information about when the next shipment comes in. They are only sold in the USA in TRU and I cannot exactly get to my TRU every week to check to see if they come in because I have to go out of my way to get the stores, not everyone lives near a TRU. This was a poor choice of locations for selling them here since not everyone lives near TRU, surely Target or Walmart can devote the one peg and the tiny amount of shelf space that TRU is devoting to this toy and most people live near a Target or a Walmart.

I paid $14.99 on sale for this on the TRU website and it came with scratches on it that are under the faceplate, mine has a clear faceplate on it so I can't see the paint coming off, luckily I ordered this item with some other Christmas gifts I was planning to order anyways so I was able to get free shipping. It was sealed in the box so the scratches obviously occured during the manufacturing process.

I don't care what kind of batteries this takes or the size but I would like it to stand up like the Tamatown which I also own. I have rechargable AAA batteries so that is very easy for me as this lets me get some use out of my AAA rechargables that are just sitting there.

I got one for Christmas, which the US one. Blue with stars. It seems alright, but the growth times are more speedy (which is sort of useful), but I always get the perfect cares instead of other cares. But it's quite fun, and the noises sound the same as the Tama-Go, so I don't see how it should bother anyone (unless it got a bad sound chip, which might be the cause).

I find it quite cute, but it's sort of too easy to get the Perfect Care characters. I know that it's not like something you're used to, but I kind of like it. Your opinion is your opinion. No one can change that. Same with mine, too.

~Chama~

I just got another TF from ebay in the mail, cheaper than what I could buy it for at TRU + state sales tax as I have a feeling unless we get a second set of colors here in the USA that my 2 local TRU's will never restock these. Seller said it was never used but it obviously was as it had character data on it, oh well it works perfectly. Anyways they both have scratches in the same spot, which is weird, under the faceplate sprouting from the A button sort of. Both of these are the star design with the clear faceplate over it.

But I don't start forum topics writing several paragraphs on why I hate that stuff :blink:

• Okay, understandable
  • Uh ok, but the Japanese iDL release is the same way
  • Okay, but the Japanese release TMGC+C is the same size as a Tamagotchi Friends
  • Okay, understandable
  • Bump connection is an improvement. Even if it used infrared I highly doubt it would connect to old versions

I noticed a lot of people have really irrational complaints about the Tamagotchi Friends

:rolleyes:
The Japanese releases, such as the iD L, are still smaller than the Friends, the Friends is more bubbled all the way around! I'm just saying the Friends is still bigger and doesn't have a colored screen, where the colored versions in Japan are still smaller and include a colored screen.

Didn't care for the Tamagotchi Friends. I'm disappointed with Bandai over the release of TF. I dislike that these aren't in color. I could have learned to live with that if the buttons responded most of the time. Its a poorly made tamagotchi.

Edit: It also makes it feel like Bandai could care less about us fans outside for Japan with how poorly the TF was made.

I actually don't mind it. Simpler tamagotchis do have their place; I'm able to run both of mine even while going to university because they're pretty low maintenance, especially if you're aiming for bad care characters. :D (although they are paused for most of the day while I'm in class). I think they are cute. I do think though, that this tamagotchi would have sold more successfully if it had more exciting features.

I don't like Tamagotchi Friends because they look too complicated, too fat (could hardly bring them around anywhere!), and kinda weird (Dating Place? The only time I've heard that reference with kids is in Despicable Me 2).

After taking care of my Tamagotchi Friends for almost a week, I've decided to throw my two cents in

Over all, I really like it. My only complaints are, like others had mentioned, the screen can be hard to see sometimes and the games.

It's not high maintenance. I once spent the night at my boyfriends house and left it there, when I came back at bout eight or nine hours later it was still alive, albeit its hunger was empty and had one heart in happy. It seems like I don't have to pause it even if I have to work an eight hour shift, as long as I have the hearts filled up. Whats even better is, when it evolved it became Rightchi, which is next to perfect care.

With every connection tama I buy I try and buy a second compatible one so they can connect, the fact that I can't play all the games yet isn't a hug deal since I'm planning on buying another one anyway. However, I can definitely see an issue with those who can only get one or don't have anyone to "bump" with. The only games that I can only get to raise the hearts is dance and find ice cream, the driving game it tough, for me at least lol.

I really like mine, and I'm looking forward to picking up a second one to see what the other games are!

I like that they brought back tamagotchi to the U.S., but not in this way. The advertisements, made me mad. Mostly because in big,bold letters, they said "THIS IS FOR GIRLS AND GIRLS ONLY!" That just made me mad. Also, why did they change the logo? What's with all the hearts in it?

EDIT: Sorry I came off like a jerk, but I do like the Tamagotchi itself, just not the advertisements and how they made the logo.
Yeah, I know right? Difficult to see a non-girly tamagotchi, especially with Bandai Us involved. Maybe i'll get one or two, but that depends.

Well the new Tamagotchi Friends is far from the worst version; it's quite clearly the best grayscale Tamagotchi IMO. Have a look
imageproxy.php

https://us.tamagotchifriends.com/products/kira-kira-gem/

I love my tamagotchi friends. The paint only comes off at the edges of the plastic so it's not too bad. The chunkyness is a bummer though so you can't carry it around easily unless you have a bag.The content is completely awesome except it would be better if a friend had one but it will keep you entertained for a long time if they don't have one. I give it 4 chickens out of 5 :wub:

I personally love my two, they got me back into tamagotchis. I got both of mine at hot topic, and I'll admit, I was a bit annoyed that they didn't come with batteries so I couldn't activate them until I got home and the strange sound of its activation was a bit surprising and I was concerned there was something wrong with it and putting the lid back on was amnlying. My tamagotchis evolved quite fast and they are best friends since I've bumped them so much. The games are alright, but other than that I love them!

You know I actually don't mind what features each tama has, I am just happy that they keep getting released how, however they do. Sure there are things I wish could be different...but I lived through the huge dry spell where it took YEARS and YEARS hoping they would come back and when they did I was just smitten to be able to walk into a store and buy them each year.

I got mine on Amazon for £5, which is really the most its worth. Mine is the pink gem first version, and the screen is DIRE!! It's fun to play but I've also got a blue translucent v1 which I'm playing at the same time, and the screen on the 1997 version is miles ahead of the 'new' Tamagotchi. I had a v3 before I lost it in a move, and yeah I think the v4.5 and such would be preferable, bUT they cost more on eBay than this one does new.

I'm probably going to get a P's at some point. I haven't got anyone to bump with either - does anyone know about any Tamagotchi meetup groups? I'm in London.

The screen resolution on the new one is actually much more advanced. It features different shades of black and gray, and you can adjust the contrast to your lighting situation. The only time I ever have a problem is when I wish they had a LED backlight for nightime use.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back