Tamagotchi L.I.F.E, New from Bandai

TamaTalk

Help Support TamaTalk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've had a thought about this that I wanted to share. This could very well be a way to raise funds for a new Tamagotchi. Maybe Bandai doesn't have the trust to see if another Tamagotchi will be a success and won't allow people working with the Tamagotchi line to have enough money for a new Tamagotchi virtual pet product. This could very well be a way to get enough money for the people working with Tamagotchi to release another one! This is all speculation, however. We don't have any idea what could come out of this yet :p

Tamacrazy96,

Yes. I agree plenty!

Another thing, to bash a item you haven't seen yet... Or heard much about yet is pretty bold to me.

Given, once we all had our claws on the tamago... Some love it, some could take it or leave it, while others complained about it.

My opinion is many of us were clawing, yes clawing, to get our paws/hands on anything new tamagotchi. With the thought they failed with the tamago, and possibly the music star to some extent.... They are probably taking a step back. Give them time guys. The new items are probably a secret way of saying "We hear you!" yes, the dude said adult females.... But that was only a short clip, there has to be more. Like an adult will fit in furniture rumored.... Im sure they will have plenty for the younger crowd.

I am taking a big guess for a few things... But I will hold off until we have more spoilers, pictures and more lenthy script...

I didn't have my hopes up before. Now I REALLY don't have my hopes up. 21-29 women. Seriously. In my opinion, I don't think that half of those people are actually going to remember it unless they're real fans. The rest would just look at one of those products and go, "Oh, that reminds me of some little toy my parents bought me for Christmas one year. Wonder what happened to it... oh yeah, I sold it at a garage sale." There was a tiny piece of me hoping for anime once I had extinguished the possibility of a new tama. Looks like that's not going to happen. Tamagotchi is turning too girly for me. And I'm a girl. I mean, when I've seen iDLs they look a little girly, but this is just... agh. I'm not going to walk around with my nails painted purple, even if it's Violetchi Purple.

As for the whole app thing, I'm really against that. I don't have a smart phone. A Tamagotchi app would be okay, I guess. But these days it seems like there's an app for everything. Ooh look, an app for ordering pizza. And then there's that new Apple iPhone that talks. In my opinion, that's a little creepy. But still, people are telling their phones to remind them about things. Can people use their brains anymore? It seems like people can't do a simple task without using some type of technology. But back to the point, I personally think of my Tamagotchis as my pets. And this is like using an app to feed your cat or dog.

Lastly, the vintage idea. I am a fan of a lot of stuff from the 1990s. I listen to the Beatles, the B-52's, Weird Al, R.E.M., The Kinks, The Who, and other stuff. I watch Looney Tunes, Animaniacs, and Sailor Moon. Basically, I'm pretty old school. I like a vintage idea, but it would be nice to actually have something that would fit me.

That's my opinion. :/

I didn't have my hopes up before. Now I REALLY don't have my hopes up. 21-29 women. Seriously. In my opinion, I don't think that half of those people are actually going to remember it unless they're real fans. The rest would just look at one of those products and go, "Oh, that reminds me of some little toy my parents bought me for Christmas one year. Wonder what happened to it... oh yeah, I sold it at a garage sale."
I agree with this completely CheesyNoodleTama. I was thinking that myself. I don't think the majority of women in that age group will remember Tamagotchi and see a t-shirt and want one, especially if you consider that during the virtual pet craze there was a HUGE diversity of virtual pets and Tamagotchis were not particularly an overwhelming presence in the virtual pet scene. In my middle school in 6th grade, EVERYONE had a virtual pet, but only a few people I knew had Tamagotchis. The majority of people had a Nano Pet/Baby, a Giga Pet, Digimon, or one of hundreds of various cheap off-brands that were sold by the bushel at mall kiosks.

While I do agree that 20-29 year old women is a big money spending group, I do not think this helps the LIFE product line. 20-29 year old women spend their money on clothing, cars, food, cosmetics, rent, phones, BILLS, school, marriage, children, houses, family. They are not as big a spending influence on the toy industry as teenage girls, unless they are buying toys for their own kids. I've read before that teenage girls are a target for so much merchandise these days because they have the most expendable income of any demographic. Teenage girls don't tend to have bills to pay or have to pay for their own living or food expenses, so most of the money they earn can be totally splurged. Targeting to that demographic would at least be a wiser move for Tamagotchi LIFE.

Also, I want to say to some people on this thread, it's not fair to tell others how they should feel about something. It's not fair to say people are just complaining and should have more faith in Bandai. Some people want to be optimistic. Others would rather not get their hopes up, and later they can be pleasantly surprised if things do turn out better, but they'd rather not be more disappointed by hoping for or expecting something better in case nothing better comes. I am one of those in that group, and I can't stand when people think that the complaints we have are inappropriate or pessimistic. Complaints are just verbalized concerns. They aren't a bad thing. We couldn't have helpful conversation about the future of our beloved Tama franchise without people criticizing Bandai for their poor decisions. I'm not gonna tell the people who do have hope in LIFE being a kick-starter to the franchise that they shouldn't get their hopes up. Everyone has their own feelings on the matter.

I honestly don't see this as a boon to the series though. Go to your local Wal-Mart or Target and look at the folded t-shirt section. You will see a variety of vintage, beloved characters there that are on t-shirts because people remember them fondly, but you'll be hard pressed to find other merchandise of a lot of them. You aren't gonna see a new wave of Fraggle Rock toys just because people remember it fondly enough to want a t-shirt of it, and similarly, I don't think Tamagotchi had the kind of presence here in the US to inspire a resurgence of interest based on a daily-needs product line. There wasn't an anime series here or any forms of media entertainment to really popularize the franchise widely in the US when it was first successful. That stuff was all developed much later, after the virtual pet craze, and stuck with the dedicated Tamagotchi fan base, more than it roped in new customers.

I agree that Americans are more interested in an app that's a few bucks than a fully-fledged well developed toy that is 60 bucks. In that price range, you're more likely to see interest in video game sales, or larger toys like RC cars and playhouses and stuff. I hate to say it, but I think Tamagotchi is going to die out in the US and I think this is their last attempt at milking some money out of it before the public at large completely forgets what it is. Will people see the new Tamagotchi LIFE products and immediately recognize them? No, I don't think so. I think for the most part women 20-29 will look at it and say "What the heck is this little weird thing in the bath aisle?" They'll read the tag and go "Oh, it's a tamagotchi! I remember those. That's cute, but I'm not paying 4 dollars extra for lower quality soap just because it comes in a bottle shaped like a weird little green duck." Does it have Vitamin E and moisturizers, or exfoliating beads? Is it all natural? Is it affordable? That's the kind of things 20-29 year old women look for in bath products. Character themed ones would attract the attention of children, rather.The t-shirts might get some sales, but I think that all the novelty products will mostly see sales to the existing fan-base, which I think is dwindling more and more with each of Bandai's poor decisions and lack of faith in its fan base to respond well to a new virtual pet toy. If anyone needs to show more faith here, it should be Bandai to their fans. Give the most interested tamagotchi fans what they really want, a new Tamagotchi. Not some tamagotchi-branded daily products with a jacked up price.

I honestly think the idea of the LIFE products would do increasingly well if they were releasing a new Tamagotchi or re-releasing some older versions simultaneously, because the people who would spend money to buy a Tamagotchi shirt out of nostalgia would probably think "man, I wonder if those are still around?" and go check the toy aisle for them. You can't really create a franchise that isn't centered around a form of media entertainment these days. The Tamagotchi characters will not work on their own. There needs to be a game, a show, a movie, a new virtual pet, or something to be the centerpiece for the franchise that all the other goods sort of spawn off of.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've had a thought about this that I wanted to share. This could very well be a way to raise funds for a new Tamagotchi. Maybe Bandai doesn't have the trust to see if another Tamagotchi will be a success and won't allow people working with the Tamagotchi line to have enough money for a new Tamagotchi virtual pet product. This could very well be a way to get enough money for the people working with Tamagotchi to release another one! This is all speculation, however. We don't have any idea what could come out of this yet :p
Then wait, if they would be using this to fund a new tamagotchi version, then why is it vintage tamagotchi based?

I'm very pi**ed off that they are doing this! I'm a guy and i LOVE tamagotchis and if i saw someone wearing something of tamagotchi brand i would ask them what did tamagotchi start as. and if they didnt know i would punch them in the face!!!!! :angry: I'm 13 and people think im weird because i still play with tamagotchis. i just give them a nasty glare!!!!!!! BUT NOW THEY ARE COMPLETELY DESTROYING THE MAIN PURPOSE OF TAMAGOTCHI!!!!!!!! THE VIRTUAL PET NEEDS TO LIVE ON :D !!!!!!!! We should start a rebellion :D !!!!!!!! lol that would be funny if we actually did. And i think instead of clothing they make more pets!!!!!!! AND JAPAN SHOULD LET USA AND OTHER COUNTRIES IN ON IT SO WE DONT HAVE TO PAY 60 DOLLARS JUST FOR A TAMAGOTCH :angry: I!!!!! WE NEED RESONABLE PRICES :angry: !!!!!!!!!!! Lol sorry people got a little fired up there! :D

In regards to the target group (that being adult women) I don't think it will stop the support from younger and/or male Tamagotchi lovers. The Tamagotchi line as a whole has been becoming more feminine recently but that does not mean us boys are not allowed to stay by its side. :blink:

And Japan should let the USA and other countries in on it so we don't have to pay $60 just for a Tamagotchi; we need reasonable prices! :angry:
We are currently not aware on how much these products will cost. We will find out soon though!

We have been asking for old tama charecters to come back right so atleast we got some cloths line

Wow. I'm really surprised how many people are being so negative about this. :eek: Even though I'm disappointed that a new Tama wasn't mentioned, there's always the potential for one? And also, don't go judging the 20-29 year old women age group and them liking or not liking Tamagotchis. (especially if you aren't a 20-29 year old woman -_- ) I fall dead center in that category. I'm a 26 year old girl with money to spend and loves vintage Tamagotchis. :)

Over the years I've seen the downward spiral the Tamagotchi brand has made and I for one am excited for Tamagotchi Life. This will hopefully reignite the life and love for Tamagotchis in the US and around the world. Bandai launching a lifestyle product line is actually pretty smart of them. Bandai America probably wants to see where this goes before making another toy, since the last one bombed. Because launching another toy too soon can be risky. To Bandai, Tamagotchi Life is less of a risk. The age range is wider and young adults are big spenders. Also, the 20-29 year age range is just a guideline not set in stone. Who knows, Teenagers and 30 year olds may like the brand too? ;) Hopefully there will be a popularity boom for Tamagotchis again and this time with a larger target audience. B)

I can't wait to wear cute Tamagotchi t-shirts and buy the home and beauty products. :D :D :D

And also, don't go judging the 20-29 year old women age group and them liking or not liking Tamagotchis. (especially if you aren't a 20-29 year old woman -_- ) I fall dead center in that category. I'm a 26 year old girl with money to spend and loves vintage Tamagotchis. :)

I can't wait to wear cute Tamagotchi t-shirts and buy the home and beauty products. :D :D :D
Just because you fall in the demographic doesn't make you any more or less suited to speak for the rest of the demographic. Sure, you are a 26 year old woman who loves to spend money on Tamagotchis, but you're also a member of a Tamagotchi forum and have a steady interest in it. When I talk about "most women in that age" not caring about Tamagotchi brand items, I am talking about the vast majority of girls in this age group that aren't on Tamagotchi forums, or aren't spending their money and time buying and raising vintage Tamagotchis, who have likely forgotten it exists and don't feel anything is particularly missing from their life without it. Anyone can make an observation and chip in their opinions on something like this. I have a female friend in the same age group who loves Tamagotchi but is not at all interested in the new product line. I am not basing my argument on that though, I just honestly do not feel this will hit big with that age group. I really don't. There are a lot bigger fascinations for most women of that age, and Tamagotchi is not a common one. It is a niche market.

Also, that's all the more reason why you'd surprised at other people's negative reactions. You fall in the demographic. The products will probably appeal to you because they are targeted at you, so naturally you're excited. There likely will not be any apparel for males in this product line, and I'd venture to say that 99.99 percent of males will not be interested in Tamagotchi makeups. Maybe they'll like some of the bath products, and maybe they'll be interested if they make little novelties like keychains, and maybe the app too, depending on just how targeted at the 20-29 female demographic it is... I just think it's perfectly obvious why a lot of people are disappointed, especially guys in this case. There aren't going to be as many products that guys will want to buy from this line, and to be honest, I don't think I'm the only one here who could care less about Tamagotchi novelties. Some of us just want a new virtual pet toy. I might find myself liking some of these new items, but I'm not sure how much I'll be willing to spend money on them. I'd rather spend my money on another Tamagotchi, even if I have to buy an old one or a foreign one off eBay. I don't think I have enough enthusiasm for the franchise as a whole to buy a lot of extra merchandise aside from the virtual pets. Perhaps if they were releasing an updated version, I would be more enthusiastic and excited to by Tamagotchi lifetsyle products, but I don't see the point in getting enthused over a franchise that will likely be a dead end for me soon.

I hope everyone who is excited about this product line enjoys it, but I honestly don't think it's going to re-kindle the franchise and get them making more actual Tamagotchis. That's just my prediction. If you look at current market trends and what's popular it's a lot more likely they'll continue the series as phone apps or video games rather than invest in another tamagotchi handheld device. The last two versions weren't all that successful in the US. I think the franchise is going to evolve into something different than it originally was. I have to say though, I think they are making a huge mistake, because as many have said on this forum, a huge chunk of the people interested in Tamagotchi are children and teenagers. It is a product line that has always been targeted specifically at that age group, and only as the product has aged (along with the original target group) did they begin to consider addressing the needs of older customers. They'd do better to realize that children and teens usually don't have smart phones, and a lot of adults don't, and most people in the original Tamagotchi age demographic would probably still be excited for a traditional Tamagotchi if it was stand-alone, and updated with color and backlight. Kids are raised on some pretty impressive video game graphics these days. The least they could do to make the line more successful would be to put a color backlit screen on there, not some archaic looking black LCD that is mostly only seen on sports watches these days. When tamagotchi first arrived, it was pretty cutting edge technology. Back then, even Gameboys still had a black and white, non lit screen. The problem is Tamagotchi needs to update their technology and get with the times. Black LCDs are hard to view without a lot of hard light and are really just obsolete. There are plenty of small electronic handheld games and toys at toy stores still, and while I think the adult market is more interested in cell phones and console video games, I don't think this is necessarily true of children and many teens, who are the ones Tamagotchi was created for in the first place. If only Bandai would give them a more attractive Tamagotchi device, ALONG with a lifestyle product line, I'm sure they could breathe new life into the franchise. I don't see it happening without both of those conditions met at the same time.

Tamagotchi L.I.E, I like that. Haha.

I get that I'm only one girl out of millions in the 20-29 year old age group and that my opinion doesn't count for all of them. I know it's a matter of opinion. Half of those girls might not know what Tamagotchi's are, but they could still end up buying the products if they find them interesting, stylish and cute. I know guys weren't considered into the equation, but most 20-29 year old guys might not be interested in Tamagotchi's either. I could see them making more masculine looking t-shirt designs and furniture options for the guys though.

Maybe people should be somewhat grateful that Bandai America hasn't let the Tamagotchi brand die. At least they're trying to do something to stir up interest again. Would everyone be happy if they didn't produce another Tamagotchi product ever again? Tamagotchi L.I.F.E may lead to good things. You never know. I'm just gonna take what I can get at this point. :)

Tamagotchi L.I.E
2vvnxn4.jpg

I'm mad at this topic again! Why can't tamagotchi L.I.F.E make something for guys! i mean we are a small part of the contributing people! They should make guy tamagotchi t shirts in like rock and roll style or anything like that. Because honestly if this comes out and these things r only for women i'm going ti make my mom or dad buy it as a gag gift! I have a new idea for bandai to make for it's new tamagotchi if its coming out. The should call it tamagotchi rainbow! as in you can chnge the color of the pixels with the gotchi points you get and when you take extra good care of 10 or 15 generations you should get a rainbow pixel screen!! And it should have some characters from the idl. That's a product i would happily pay 30 dollars for.

Keep in mind... The clip wasn't very long at all. They usually don't get all the time they need to say what they want. Just a quick blip.... Its not the toy fair.... Its only the lisencing fair. Gotta have a lisence to produce and sell...

As I said earlier, hold your pants. I'm holding on....

My side is for the hoping... Not directly what I was thinking, but I do expect more.... My gut... It says more.... If not its hoping for more.

I'll say it again.. I'd hope they would announce a new toy or something at Toy Fair.. But then, tell me, why would they be releasing a clothing line for 21-29 year old women, and then announce a new toy?

I really hope it's more than what most of us have been led to expect, but most of all I just want a new Tamagotchi! :(

Also, they may as well just be doing a gender neutral product line. I don't think less girls would dislike the product line if there was less pink, or if they made a unisex t-shirt, or things like that. I don't even mind pink! I just think the shirts will probably be all girls fitted t-shirts. You know, with the shorter sleeves and less shoulder space, more chest space, etc. If it was a normal fitted t-shirt I wouldn't even mind buying from the girl's section, if they had a few sort of "neutral" designs of the less feminine characters.

We will just have to wait and see. I just hope there's at least some cute things for everyone, but seriously ... Tamagotchi color, why can't they do this? Want. D:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back