Ways to get closer to my parents.

TamaTalk

Help Support TamaTalk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

City Lights

Reaction score
Yeah. Over the past years, I've been a terrible student.

So now my parents are, like, always mad.

I told my mom that I'm joining CJSF, and she was all proud and stuff. But I'm having second thoughts about it because I don't know anyone else who's joining. I have until tomorrow 4th period to decide, and I don't want mom mad at me again.

Other than that, I also want to know some ways to get closer to my parents. My younger sister is really closer to them, I have an okay relationship with them, and my older sister is really not that close.

I want it to go back to the way it was when I did my homework and stuff.

By the way, CJSF is California Junior Scholarship Federation (I think)

I'm not as close to my dad anymore, and I'm not too close to my mom, mostly because my parents center themselves around my younger brothers who are autistic, which isn't all that bad because I get more freedom.

Try to start a conversation with them. Maybe about something wacky that happened to you at school. I always talk to my mom about that stuff.

I tried that at dinner. Dad nodded and kept eating and mom was like "Oh." and then she started talking about how much work she does.

I got closer to my parents when I stopped getting on so much and I went out with them to places more often.

Me either and I dont paticulary like them that much right now so yeah..

You could tell your mum about your crush (If you have one)

Or like ask for help on homework.. Helps for me..

I should probably be offline more ;P

And I don't think I'd ever tell my mom about the guy I like o.o

She would probably make fun of me, tell my sisters and stuff.

Well one thing that came to mind is perhaps next time at dinner, if you get asked how your day was, tell them things are good but you've had something on your mind for a long while you wanted to discuss with both of them and ask if they are interested in hearing about it. If they don't prompt you asking how your day was, just tell them the same thing that something's been on your mind and you wish to discuss it...

If they say yes, then ask as calmly and civilly as possible what would it take for both your mother and father to spend more time and be closer with you... and ask if there's anything all of us a a family can do help our relationship (use that wording if you like) that you would like to know because you don't want to feel distanced emotionally from your parents.

That I would think would bring up a decent discussion on what yu guys can do. If they focus on what you can work on for them, make note to them that you will make a reasonable effort if THEY make a reasonable effort since a family's support and such for one another works best when balanced (again you can say this if you like).

Now if you ask them at supper and they're NOT interested in hearing about your recent thoughts at the dinner table, just say "Okay can we all discuss this together later or at a time that is more appropriate for you? I really want to get this off my chest." Then go from there. If they give you a time or date, try again then...if not wait a few days and try again when your parents seem content and not distracted by other things at dinner.

I notice when growing up when giving the parents a chance to partake in the discussion how I described seems to help improve communication and bonding in the household. If you choose to do it this way up to you...but just don't shoot down the idea of just being upfront and mature with them. Parents aren't mindreaders.

Good luck!

Last edited by a moderator:
I tried that at dinner. Dad nodded and kept eating and mom was like "Oh." and then she started talking about how much work she does.
Sorry that didn't work out for you.

What if, like, the next time you catch your parents watch TV in front of you and your siblings, sit down with them and see if they talk to you or something.

Heh hem,, Yeah urm...

Out of ideas try what squidward is cool said ^^.

Sorry my idea didnt work.

EDIT: Spelt Squidward wrong.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's late for me to help with the CJFS thing, but I can give you suggestions for the bonding. I'm really not that close to my father, but I am close to my mother. I suggest that you go out to lunch, see a movie, or just talk to them in your own house. Watch TV with them. Spending time with them is the only way to get closer to them.

I'm not very close to my mom because of her girlfriend always takin' up her time, so I don't know.

My mom was always mad at me too, and for the littlest things. I was always grounded; but maybe I was getting in trouble (major things) to grasp her attention. After I told her I wanted therapy, she cried and we started spending more and more time together.

I get along with my parents, and it is always important to. You should just be open with them about things. Obviously not everything - some stuff is just for your friends and you, but definitely open up to them a bit more! Good luck =]

-bratztroxg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back