Sign in to follow this  
Watashiwatchi

Who, or what raised your interest and got you started in Tamagotchi?

I remember this so well! Back in 97 a girl at my school came in with a Japanese P1. Her dad travelled to Japan regularly for work and got her one. I remember she had the yellow one with the orange numbers around it and from the minute she showed it to me I was obsessed! I wanted one so badly! I still remember that feeling of longing and how I would horde away any little articles etc on them that my parents had in papers or magazines etc! Everyone used to queue up around her in the playground to have a go on it so I barely got a look in. Here in the UK the demand for them became crazy! It was almost impossible to get one! So it wasn't actually until the P2s came out that I had a shot and even that was by sheer luck! My mum and I had looked everywhere for one without any luck and then one Saturday I was looking at the toy section in the Argos catalogue, (it's a store that sells almost everything here in the UK for all you non-Brits), and they had them in there. I went running to my mum who immediately called them and they said they had ONE in stock. I begged her and begged her to ask them to reserve it and drive me down there immediately and finally she relented and that's just what happened. It was the clear yellow P2 with the white buttons and whilst it wasn't the colour I wanted it was the only one I could get and I loved it! I showed it to my friend and she became obsessed too and by sheer chance managed to get the exact same one. They became banned at school 'cause kids were playing with them in lessons and stealing them from each other etc, (Tamas and Nano babies/puppies/kitties), but she and I used to carry ours in little dusky blue pouches with gold tassels on that we got from the Body Shop and sneak them out under our desks! We didn't know the real names for the characters so we made them up... there was Ducky-Blob (The P2 character a bit like Kutchipatchi), Mickey Mouse (Mimitchi), Flower Pot (P2 character like Kutchipatci but with a pot and stalk instead of legs), Squid-Pid (looked like a squid obvs!).... loads of different names we had for them, depending on which character we got! Oh man, good times! Am feeling all nostalgic just thinking about it! I still have my original P2, though it's a bit scratched up now... time to start it up I think! :D

Edited by Haenerys
  • Like 5

Honestly, I first heard of Virtual pets through my sister and niece. They were visiting from California and during a trip to the mall we stopped at a KB toys to get my niece a Giga Pet. To tell the truth I thought it was a dumb idea at the time.

Later, I got into Furby and my internet searches for Furby sometimes made mention of Tamagotchi. After reading more about them I decided I wanted one. By this time they were on clearance at KB and I bought two or three plus a Digimon. These days I like virtual pets much better than Furbys. They're pocket sized and they don't have fabric fur that gets all ratty and holey. I've developed a dislike for Furry electronic pets.

When I was little we all had one...last year I looked if they still exist and PAM a whole new world.

I was in 3rd or 4th grade when the craze hit in '97, I know it happened practically overnight. I remember everyone gathering around two girls in my class, and the homeroom teacher scolding said girls because they were disrupting the class with their giga pets (that's what everyone called them regardless of brand). I don't know why I thought it was a pencil sharpener :D I was pretty clueless and not hip, at all. My friends explained to me that it was a virtual pet you could take care of and that it beeped when it needed you, and I was sold. I got my first two tamagotchis through a weird series of events, I seem to recall a fast food place that started giving generic pets with their meals: a whale or a dinosaur. My parents got one for me, but it quickly died. Then they got me a Giga Pet dog, and I had it for a week when it started malfunctioning :( My mom tried exchanging it at the toy store, but unfortunately they were sold out and they let her take 2 tamagotchis back for me! Over the course of the next two years, I started getting more and more tamagotchis, angelgotchis, and other virtual pets because my mom was amazing at finding deals and sales. For a long time I was known as the girl with all those "giga pets", and I had kids following me begging to take care of my pets. One time I remember I had about 10 tamagotchis beeping non-stop during my math class, and my math teacher kept asking who the owner was because he was going to take them away to hand them out to the highest grades on the test! Everyone had my back, though; no one ratted me out :P

I got into them by thinking about a littlest pet shop version i had and months later, i dont exactly know how, but i managed to find the tamagotchi ps during a kawaii/japanese phase and got one for my 11th birthday from my mom!:3 i think i annoyed here to death about it hough... so, i have been a fan ever since!:D

I was so young I barely remember - we're talking 1997 and I was in about grade 3 of primary school. I get the feeling I'd known about tamagotchi somehow, whether it be ads on TV or maybe catalogues I'm not sure - but then my best friend had a chicken.

Oh god, I wanted her chicken.

I remember lining up for assembly in the morning, which the whole school did in the open courtyard, and we sat in pairs in our class line. I remember fleeting moments of getting to play with and feed her chicken - I was so in love, I just had to have one of these things.

Then another friend had a kitten. Everyone wanted to play with her kitten. I think she got so overwhelmed with requests that none of us could find her at lunch time - she went off hiding in the library or something. I remember searching for her my whole lunch break to try to borrow her kitten for a while... I think I must have been a tad obsessed.

One day, it poured with rain, and as I was getting into mum's car I saw something in the gutter - almost getting swept away. Another one of those things! It was a blue oval-shape, and it seemed to have reset. I took it home and cared for it overnight - turned out to be a little alien. Unfortunately, the owner was found within the next day or two. Apparently a 5 year old boy had a virtual pet, and I was still desperately pining for one.

Eventually, I convinced my grandma and auntie to take me to Toyworld and find one of these treasures. In the meantime, I'd somehow done my research and decided I wanted the best and original, the Tamagotchi. But, alas - Toyworld had none of these left. I settled for an oval-shaped white & red dinosaur, one of the last left in the shop. We lived in a small town, so there wasn't much variety. My little dinosaur and I had fun, but he was a tad buggy, and I remember him resetting a few times. It wasn't an entirely optimal experience.

Sometime later I went off on an excursion to Canberra (capital city of Australia), and we got to go shopping for about 3 hours in groups, unsupervised, in the biggest shopping centre I'd seen in my life! Needless to say, I came back to the bus with my beloved first tamagotchi - a pink and green clock face. Good times!

I tried and tried, but I could never get mametchi. I wanted him so badly after reading "I Love Tamagotchi by Bronwen" several million times, which I still have, and is very visibly used. I just don't think I had the time and freedom to access him with enough care. When the tamas first came out, teachers became well aware of them real fast - and we were all so worried we'd get them confiscated, so they unfortunately had to sit for long periods of time in our pockets or bags. Evil stepmothers who hate the sound of them don't help, either.

Where are my old tamas today? Who knows, it's a mystery. I've lost my old collection, but I've somehow managed to preserve that book.

• Like 1

I believe I got my very first tamagotchi back in the 90s. It was an original P1, blue with pink numbers around it. Tamagotchis were the craze back then & took the toy world by storm. I've always liked the idea of a virtual pet so when my dad got me one, I was immediately hooked. It was pretty cool that my then-boyfriend also had one so it was nice taking care of our virtual pets together.

I saw the version 2 on a store and pretty much wanted it right away. I can still remember how I called it a 'hamster game', since it had Mimitchi's sprite stickered (labeled? I can't really come up with the proper word) on the screen.

I was so happy when I opened a birthday present some time later, and discovered that I got the Tamagotchi I wanted! It even had the same shell design I was looking at in the store. After that, I got the later versions as birthday presents as well - my brother got the v3, though. He wasn't that much into Tamagotchis like I was, so he decided to give it to me after a few months.

So I guess my parents were the ones who got me into Tamagotchi. :)

• Like 2

When I saw an advertisement on TV about the tamagotchi friends. That got my interest into tamagotchis and tamatalk.

When V3's first came out I was obsessed. Then V4 and I loved it even more and it's still my favourite version. That was obviously a fad just passing through primary schools but then a few years ago I looked for my tamas and fell in love with them all over again and then I started collecting c:

I got a V2 for Christmas in 2005, when I was 10, and I absolutely loved it! Not long after, though, it had to be returned because the buttons stopped working properly, so mum went to exchange it for another one. At that point, however, the V2's were all sold out and the V3's had just been stocked, so instead of another V2, I got a V3! I actually used to go on TamaTown a lot with the V3, and that's how I discovered a lot of Tamagotchi sites, which is probably what really kept my interest in them going for so long

When I was 4, i saw people with "those little computer thingies" and i wanted one for myself. But I couldn't operate this (what I found out later, it was a knock off of tamas) thing. Years passed, at the age of 8 I got a similar knockoff and got hooked on the idea of a virtual pet. When I was 10, about to turn 11, i think I saw the commercial for v3's on TV. I went to the nearest mall and found a v3 there. It was with me everywhere later on, but it got wet and stopped working so I hid it somewhere. When I was 13, I bought my first v4 in a toy store. I kept the instuctions well, so well that I found them a year ago and felt so nostalgic that I had to look up tamas and found some TF's and had to buy one, this s how my love for tamas got rekindled. A year later, I own 2 color screens (P's and iD L ) and about to get another color tama, 8 tamas in total.

When I was in second grade, a few people had Tamagotchis. My neighbor who was my age was on my bus and she had a version 1 and would let me play with it. I begged my mom forever to buy me one, but she always told me she could never find one at the store. One day she managed to find it and I was beyond happy. I went to my friend's house that day and showed her my new Tama and she wanted one too. It was such a fun time. Everyone in my class had them and my teacher thought they were so cute. Those were the days. ^_^ now I'm currently a freshman in college and still loving Tamas even more that before :3

I remember that my friend in 6th grade had one. I don't remember how we got onto the topic, but she let me take care of "Alex" on the pale yellow with butterflies V2 for a little while to see if I liked them or not. I think she was trying to figure out what to get me for my birthday, since she was coming to my party. I had so much fun looking after

Alex that I wanted to get a tama of my own. She got me the pink makeup v2 for my birthday that I loved to death. I collected more and unfortunately the pink one, whom I had raised to a Mimitchi, was taken by a kid at school and he tried to throw it back to us and it hit the floor, destroying the screen. I was pretty heartbroken, but I had my others. After a few years the craze died down and I ended up giving mine away. (I regret that to this day)

On a nostalgia kick a few years ago, I bought the same makeup pink v2 still in the package and gave it another shot. I ran them off and on for a few years. About two months ago I got them out again and decided I would take care of my tama babies again and now I'm hooked and looking into more modern tamas to add to my collection.

Right now I only have the pink makeup v2 and a more worn purple camo v2 that I got off of ebay

Atlantic Raven on YouTube. She has a gorgeous collection and does unboxing videos and introductions for each one. Check her out!

Also, I had a few when I was young. :)