are you a vegan?

TamaTalk

Help Support TamaTalk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I know that. I didn't say feeding ourselves wasn't right. Just the way that it is done. Killing animals for food isn't wrong, but in mass productions, it's not something I feel positively about. The modern day meat industry isn't doing anyone justice. You obviously haven't learned about this industry.

They slaughter and raise the animals in a very inhumane way. Just because they're raised to be eaten, doesn't mean they should live life in fear, or in little cages. The conditions are usually unsanitary, but this is not a priority when the industry wants to make a profit as cheap and as fast as possible. Of course, we need to eat meat, but there are obviously better ways for these companies to succeed in this goal that would be a bit better for everyone. Besides the fact that the animal is going to suffer during the whole process, all these bad conditions are making the meats prone to diseases and bad things you don't want in your body.
You're my hero.

It's very true that most of the problem isn't the killing of the animals, it's the inhumanity and the suffering that they have to go through leading up to the slaughter.

There's a video (not for the faint of heart) on GoVeg.com

This video used to be on Christofer Drew's Myspace. ;D

PETA is mentioned, and you can disagree with the video, fine. This video shows the extreme worst methods of animal cruelty in the industry. Not all of it is this bad, but some of it is.

I am a vegetarian... not a vegan. Though I buy my eggs and milk locally from farms that don't use antibiotics or mistreat their animals. :p

Last edited by a moderator:
Well I know that. I didn't say feeding ourselves wasn't right. Just the way that it is done. Killing animals for food isn't wrong, but in mass productions, it's not something I feel positively about. The modern day meat industry isn't doing anyone justice. You obviously haven't learned about this industry.

They slaughter and raise the animals in a very inhumane way. Just because they're raised to be eaten, doesn't mean they should live life in fear, or in little cages. The conditions are usually unsanitary, but this is not a priority when the industry wants to make a profit as cheap and as fast as possible. Of course, we need to eat meat, but there are obviously better ways for these companies to succeed in this goal that would be a bit better for everyone. Besides the fact that the animal is going to suffer during the whole process, all these bad conditions are making the meats prone to diseases and bad things you don't want in your body.

If it makes any difference, the meat from a happy cow, grazing on a farm in a stress free life tastes way better than the meat from a cow that has gone through packaging, processing, etc. Even if you don't care about the inhumane ways of the meat industry, wouldn't it make a difference if you knew that the product you are buying isn't full of bacteria, and hasn't been exposed to unsanitary conditions? With the amounts of animals in one closed area, it is very easy for bacteria to spread from animal to animal through feces, and most of the time, these plants don't have proper sewage to filter all this out, thus the meats get infected.
How do you know that the animal is living in fear? Animals don't have the same thinking patterns as humans. I don't think animals wake up in the morning and think "I wonder if I'll die today."

Whatever meat we've been buying tastes fine and I haven't gotten sick from eating it, so I don't see any reason to worry. Point is, those animals are raised to be eaten, like I said.

I don't think the animal should go through torture, absolutely not. Since I actually have learned about the meat packing industry, I understand your point. I think that if they would kill these animals in a way that is quick and would kill them instantly instead of going through tons of pain, that's exceptable.

Okay, well first of all... Killing animal's itself isn't wrong- it's there to cause balance of the specials and make sure they don't over populate. And of course- to feed ourselves.

But it is the way most slaughter houses treat their animals before their death that's inhumane. Sometimes the animals are raised in such a way that they sometimes get diseases- which they would still be slaughtered and sold to markets. Where are those diseases, now?

But to the whole "vegan" thing. No, I'm not a vegan, nor a vegetarian. I like meat too much to give it all up. :)

I'm not a vegan or vegetarian.

None of that is for me.

How do you know that the animal is living in fear? Animals don't have the same thinking patterns as humans. I don't think animals wake up in the morning and think "I wonder if I'll die today."
Whatever meat we've been buying tastes fine and I haven't gotten sick from eating it, so I don't see any reason to worry. Point is, those animals are raised to be eaten, like I said.

I don't think the animal should go through torture, absolutely not. Since I actually have learned about the meat packing industry, I understand your point. I think that if they would kill these animals in a way that is quick and would kill them instantly instead of going through tons of pain, that's exceptable.
Go watch the video that Katie posted. I don't want to describe everything that happens, but the animals are in pain. Just watch some of the things the workers do to the animals. Technically, we're animals. We have emotions, they have emotions, and they can be stressed. Have you ever brought a cat to a vet before, and noticed sometimes that they are acting a bit differently? Either shaking, meowing, hissing, etc? This is a reaction from stress, and if a cat can feel these emotions, I'm positive a chicken or cow can. Maybe they're not living in fear everyday, because eventually they'd get used to the conditions, but this still shouldn't be any excuse to keep them living this way.

And just because you specifically haven't gotten sick yet, doesn't mean someone else will. Read online about the many meat recalls due to the e.coli bacteria contaminating the products. It's not like meat infections happen every day, but they happen often enough to make people question. Why risk it?

I agree with you for the quick and painless way. People always say that when they want to do, they want to die quickly by getting shot or something, instead of suffering, and I'm sure if the animal had to choose, it would want it quick and painless as well. No one deserves to go through immense pain like that, no human or animal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back