BMI Scale...

TamaTalk

Help Support TamaTalk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Alot of factors play into BMI. (Trust me, I used to be a health nut) If you have alot of muscle mass, you are more likely to be overweight, because 3 pounds of muscle is about half the size of one pound of fat. Also, your bone density means alot, too. Measure your wrists. If they are 7 inches around, you have dense bones, which means it's uniform to have a larger BMI. If your wrists are 6 inches around, it means you should have a pretty accurate BMI (assuming you have an average amount of muscle mass). If your wrists are 5 inches around, you should expect a lower BMI.

A BMI system cannot tell you how large or small you are. If you have dense bones you are supposed to take off 10% of your BMI and if you have skinny bones you're supposed to add 10%.

My BMI? 25.7. My wrists measure 7 inches around; That means my uniform BMI would be somewhere around 22.

Last edited by a moderator:

Well, people with muscles weigh more.

So actually people who may be fitter could be labeled as obese by that.

18.7 o.o'

That's awful close to underweight... *stuffs face with smarties* xD

18.7 o.o'That's awful close to underweight... *stuffs face with smarties* xD
Really? I thought it was the oppisite o_O

I checked other ones and it said I was like 20, ew.

it says i'm underweight!!!!! but every one says i'm fine....hmm.....i have questions for my docter XD lol

Mine was 20.4, but BMI scales are FALSE.

The BMI scale was invented a long long time ago, it wasn't accually invented for weight, it was invented for some sort of math thing. The government thinks they can tell if the population is fat or not but how much people weigh and how tall they are, this is not true.

Some people just have different genes than other people, and some people were just born like that. Some people may have a high metabolism, some may not.

Overall I don't believe in the BMI scale, because every one is born differently. It all just comes down to your genes, the food you eat, metabolism, etc. Height and weight have nothing. Some people may be very muscular which adds up on weight, while they are short, and the BMI could take that as being overweight, while really they're just athletic and short.

Don't take it seriously, that's all I'm trying to say.

My BMI is 14.1... x.x I'm really small and thin- everyone says I'm really skinny. xD

Mine was 20.4, but BMI scales are FALSE.
The BMI scale was invented a long long time ago, it wasn't accually invented for weight, it was invented for some sort of math thing. The government thinks they can tell if the population is fat or not but how much people weigh and how tall they are, this is not true.

Some people just have different genes than other people, and some people were just born like that. Some people may have a high metabolism, some may not.

Overall I don't believe in the BMI scale, because every one is born differently. It all just comes down to your genes, the food you eat, metabolism, etc. Height and weight have nothing. Some people may be very muscular which adds up on weight, while they are short, and the BMI could take that as being overweight, while really they're just athletic and short.

Don't take it seriously, that's all I'm trying to say.
Body mass index (BMI) or Quetelet Index is a statistical measure of the weight of a person scaled according to height. It was invented between 1830 and 1850 by the Belgian polymath Adolphe Quetelet during the course of developing "social physics".

Body mass index is defined as the individual's body weight divided by the square of their height. The formulas universally used in medicine produce a unit of measure of kg/m2. Body mass index may be accurately calculated using any of the formulas below.

BMI = height (kg2) / height2 (m2) or BMI = 703 x weight (lb2) / height2 (in2) or BMI = 6.35 x weight (stone) / height2 m2

BMI can also be determined using a BMI chart, which displays BMI as a function of weight (horizontal axis) and height (vertical axis) using contour lines for different values of BMI or colors for different BMI categories.

--

Ahem, yes, the above was taken from Wikipedia.

Anyway, I, for one, find this BMI calculator to be completely false, or the majority of TTers posting in this topic are deathly underweight. Although that calculator says my BMI is 20.6, which it is, I still find it to be false. I really hope that none of you have a BMI of 13.0 for real, because 18.5 and below is underweight. So unless you are something like five feet, three inches and 75 pounds, don't take your calculation literally.

*coughs* Yeah, I'm done here now I think. XD

--

Eck, no, I wasn't done. Here's the normal/underweight/overweight/etc. chart thing;

BMI-------------Category

Below 18.5<->Underweight

18.5-24.9<->Normal Weight

25-29.9<------>Overweight

30-39.9<-------->Obese

Above 39.9<--->Morbidly Obese

Body mass index (BMI) or Quetelet Index is a statistical measure of the weight of a person scaled according to height. It was invented between 1830 and 1850 by the Belgian polymath Adolphe Quetelet during the course of developing "social physics".
Body mass index is defined as the individual's body weight divided by the square of their height. The formulas universally used in medicine produce a unit of measure of kg/m2. Body mass index may be accurately calculated using any of the formulas below.

BMI = height (kg2) / height2 (m2) or BMI = 703 x weight (lb2) / height2 (in2) or BMI = 6.35 x weight (stone) / height2 m2

BMI can also be determined using a BMI chart, which displays BMI as a function of weight (horizontal axis) and height (vertical axis) using contour lines for different values of BMI or colors for different BMI categories.

--

Anyway, I, for one, find this BMI calculator to be completely false, or the majority of TTers posting in this topic are deathly underweight. Although that calculator says my BMI is 20.6, which it is, I still find it to be false. I really hope that none of you have a BMI of 13.0 for real, because 18.5 and below is underweight. So unless you are something like five feet, three inches and 75 pounds, don't take your calculation literally.

--

Eck, no, I wasn't done. Here's the normal/underweight/overweight/etc. chart thing;

BMI-------------Category

Below 18.5<->Underweight

30-39.9<-------->Obese

I'm 4"9 (I grew!) and 65lbs- should I worry? xD

--

--

BMI-------------Category

Below 18.5<->Underweight

30-39.9<-------->Obese

Finally, some quotes that post and agrees with me! Thanks for the reasearch by the way. :p

And also, random thought.. If you were THAT dealthy underweight, surely your parents/friends would have talked to you or said something, assuming you were anorexic(sp?) or something, thinking you needed help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back