Death penalty

TamaTalk

Help Support TamaTalk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TamaSweetie

Reaction score
I am strongly against death penalty. I am lucky to live in a democratic country where death penalty does not exist. Death penalty could seriously hurt one's family and friends, and would be even worse if the court was wrong and an innocent person gets sentenced to death. In many cases, the criminal realises the sin they have committed and would willingly repent and wishes to become a better person - but it's just too late. The court had already decided their fate. If one life had already been killed, the destroying of another would be totally useless and unnecessary.

What do you think about death penalty as a legal punishment?

It is bad. But think of the familys they hurt. Most of these people death sentenced probably killed a few other people, correct?They don't just get sentenced for no reason. I don't want to say it was a "good" thing because they died, but more people are alive because this person didn't go around killing more people. Keep in mind that if they only hurt one person, they probably won't be sentenced to death, maybe just some years in jail (Sorry if this is not correct xP)And this bad person probably does not have a close family, maybe the cause of their killing. I think they are saving a lot of innocent people people because there is not someone to hurt them. So Yes, I do believe it is bad, but I think they have a reason to do it.

Obviously, if they got the death penalty, they did something really bad, most like murder. You kill someone else, you deserve to die and burn in hell.

I don't believe that the death penalty is wrong - When you do something so horrid as murdering someone else [iMO 'murdering' is not the same as 'killing', death penalty being killing, if that makes sense] or anything else that would land you with the death penalty you give up your own right to life.

So much time and effort goes into making sure you have the right guy instead of an innocent one that it actually costs more, surprisingly, to give that person the death penalty than to keep them in jail for the rest of their life. That being said, where money is involved it is more economical to just stick them in the jail.

I wouldn't put so much faith in these types of people to "change." It IS possible, I definitely believe in that, but why do you think child molesters continue to molest after being released? Why do murderers continue to kill? It's because some people just will not change. Plus, does saying "I'm so sorry, I will change" relieve them of their treacherous acts? No, it does not. You have to live up to what you do and what ever consequences that follow no matter what you believe after the deed has been done.

And where the family is concerned, I can't say I 'know' how it is because I have never had to experience such but I'm sure it's very very very tough circumstances. It's not the governments crime against the family - it's the own family member's crime against the family.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am strongly against death penalty. I am lucky to live in a democratic country where death penalty does not exist. Death penalty could seriously hurt one's family and friends, and would be even worse if the court was wrong and an innocent person gets sentenced to death. In many cases, the criminal realises the sin they have committed and would willingly repent and wishes to become a better person - but it's just too late. The court had already decided their fate. If one life had already been killed, the destroying of another would be totally useless and unnecessary.What do you think about death penalty as a legal punishment?
I do believe in capital punishment. If someone brutally takes the life of another person and justice is not carried out, we're basically saying that that innocent life that was taken isn't worth justice. But if we do, then we're saying that we value life so much that if you take someone else's life, yours will be taken as well.

I'm not so sure that I agree that many people who have committed murder are truly sorry for what they did. Granted, they may be sorry that they got caught and are now facing the consequences of their actions, but they're probably not truly sorry. Besides, even if they were, they still need to face the consequences. The fact that you're sorry doesn't mean that you're automatically off the hook. Let's look at it this way: If someone breaks into your home and steals all your family's money and, lets say, your Nintendo Wii that you just got for your birthday, and this person ends up getting caught, what would you do if they just got off with a smack on the hand? You wouldn't be very happy would you? You'd want that person to go to jail because they deserve a worse punishment. It's the same thing with murder. If you take an innocent life, the consequences need to be as drastic as the crime committed.

I do believe in capital punishment. If someone brutally takes the life of another person and justice is not carried out, we're basically saying that that innocent life that was taken isn't worth justice. But if we do, then we're saying that we value life so much that if you take someone else's life, yours will be taken as well.
I'm not so sure that I agree that many people who have committed murder are truly sorry for what they did. Granted, they may be sorry that they got caught and are now facing the consequences of their actions, but they're probably not truly sorry. Besides, even if they were, they still need to face the consequences. The fact that you're sorry doesn't mean that you're automatically off the hook. Let's look at it this way: If someone breaks into your home and steals all your family's money and, lets say, your Nintendo Wii that you just got for your birthday, and this person ends up getting caught, what would you do if they just got off with a smack on the hand? You wouldn't be very happy would you? You'd want that person to go to jail because they deserve a worse punishment. It's the same thing with murder. If you take an innocent life, the consequences need to be as drastic as the crime committed.
Very well stated and the bolded is most definitely true as well.

Thank you very much! (I just sent you a PM if you'd like to view it.)

-Ripcurl

I think if the evidence proves beyond a doubt that they commited (a) horrid murder(s) then they deserve to die.

You kill someone then you aren't worhty of your own life.

All these guys do is go to prision for life and beat people up in the cells.

Yes, they have family but if you were the mother/father/sister/brother etc of a horrific killer would you want to call them family? I wouldn't!

Its like if you don't want it to happen to you don't do it!

I don't think that anybody deserves to die, no matter what the circumstances.

Naive? Yes. But that's just what I believe. I don't believe that any one person is truley evil. Again, very naive of me. But that's just how I view the world.

I don't like accusing people of crimes, or blaming people for their actions. Almost every late Saturday night I'll sit on the couch and watch Dateline or 48 Hours Mystery with my mom. And even when the evidence is against someone, and it looks like they did murder somebody, I still don't like believing that they commited the crime. We never know 100% for sure that the person is guilty. Witnesses or not, forensic evidence or not - you can never truley be completely sure. I would much rather see a guilty man go free than an innocent man in jail. And even if they did do it - you don't know what that person was feeling. You don't know exactly what was going on when it happened. Is it wrong to murder someone? Yes. But I still don't like telling people what they did wrong, because I'm not them and have never been in there shoes.

I don't believe in putting people in jail for life, either. That's throwing there life away - in my eyes, you might as well be killing the person.

And the ironic thing is, my mom is a prosecutor. She tried a double murder case before - and she won. The convicted was either going to spend his life in jail or get the death penalty - he got life in prisionment, without parole. But obviously my mom believes in the death penalty.

So no, I don't support the death penalty. Under any circumstances, no body deserves to die.

I'm for it. I strongly believe that if you're caught in the act or by evidence that you killed someone else, we should have the right to kill you back.

And before anyone pulls the common, 'what if someone in your family was in that situation?' Well. My aunt was, and to this day I think it's ridiculous they let her out. You shouldn't just be forgiven for killing someone.

I believe it's an eye-for-an-eye. If you kill someone, hell, we're gonna kill you right back. xD I sound like a stereotypical redneck.

Anyway, after fifty years in jail, I think some of them are ready to die. I know I would.

Well, Im for it if the person has DEFINATELY done something tragic [Kill an innocent person etc..]. And I stress 'definately'. If no one knows for sure what happened, then no one deserves to die. But as TS said, Im also lucky to live in a democratic country where death penalty does not exist. But in many other places it does and many innocent people die for something they never did. It hurts me to even think about it.

So, I think that for something absolutely horrible, life in jail is enough although in some cases it is not.

It's up to the Government and the Country to decide.

I belive death is the easy way out. They should suffer and be tortured for what they did while still living on earth...no one deserves death even if they killed another person. Everyones death day will come and killing someone else wont bring that other person back :[

I'm for it. I strongly believe that if you're caught in the act or by evidence that you killed someone else, we should have the right to kill you back.And before anyone pulls the common, 'what if someone in your family was in that situation?' Well. My aunt was, and to this day I think it's ridiculous they let her out. You shouldn't just be forgiven for killing someone.
Yes.

The whole 'What about if it was someone in your family?' thing. I can say if my dad killed someone I wouldn't want to say 'My dads in prison for killing someone' I would never be able to look at him the same.

Yes.
The whole 'What about if it was someone in your family?' thing. I can say if my dad killed someone I wouldn't want to say 'My dads in prison for killing someone' I would never be able to look at him the same.
Given that I hardly care for the vast majority of my family, I'm more than happy to be open about it.

I'm all for it.

If you are 100% guilty, no question about your crime, I say death should be iminent and quick. None of this years on death row crap. No appeals. Why appeal if you are indeed 100% guilty for a pre-meditated crime?

Death penalty is just for murderers, correct? I guess I have never heard it was for anything else. You killed someone, they had no time to say good bye, why should you?

As soon as you purposely take a human life, you automatically forefit your right to your own life.

I also would like to see these people suffer a little more. Lethal injection is way too soft. When they killed, you know it was not pretty or easy. It was messy, terrifying and painful.

I am completely on the fence.

I know it seems 'morally right' to not believe in the death penalty, and the cost is less to just keep 'em in jail, but really.

If no one got the death penalty in the world, imagine how many MORE jails there would be?

Eventually, you might see a jail right on your streetcorner. Lol.

Still, those people killed other(s). They rightfully deserve it. And like Mothra said, they (most likely) brutally tortured and killed their, uh, victims. They deserve the same suffering.

------------

But on the other hand, there is the old age saying:

"Two wrongs don't make a right."

And the person who killed other(s), well, killed.

That is wrong, so they are killed in return. Get me so far?

But what about the person who terminates the killers life?

They killed [the killer], so don't they deserve to be killed too?

It's a vicious circle that never ends.

--------

I don't know what to think at all.

We are doing a project on this at school o_O..

I for it... The person should be killed in the same way the victim was killed..Or the victims family should decide...Prison or Death.. It's not right for you to kill someone and go to prison for a few years then continue on your way.

But if they dont have evidence that it was that person but it is possible prison will do.

Edit: But the saying goes: "Why do we kill people who kill people to show killing people is wrong?" Well...That does make some sence though..

I'm for the death penalty. If someone killed your mother and lived, part of your taxes would go towards keeping the killer alive. It would pay for his food and shelter. You would not want to pay to keep the person who killed your mother alive, would you?

I don't think that anybody deserves to die, no matter what the circumstances.
Naive? Yes. But that's just what I believe. I don't believe that any one person is truley evil. Again, very naive of me. But that's just how I view the world.

I don't like accusing people of crimes, or blaming people for their actions. Almost every late Saturday night I'll sit on the couch and watch Dateline or 48 Hours Mystery with my mom. And even when the evidence is against someone, and it looks like they did murder somebody, I still don't like believing that they commited the crime. We never know 100% for sure that the person is guilty. Witnesses or not, forensic evidence or not - you can never truley be completely sure. I would much rather see a guilty man go free than an innocent man in jail. And even if they did do it - you don't know what that person was feeling. You don't know exactly what was going on when it happened. Is it wrong to murder someone? Yes. But I still don't like telling people what they did wrong, because I'm not them and have never been in there shoes.

I don't believe in putting people in jail for life, either. That's throwing there life away - in my eyes, you might as well be killing the person.

And the ironic thing is, my mom is a prosecutor. She tried a double murder case before - and she won. The convicted was either going to spend his life in jail or get the death penalty - he got life in prisionment, without parole. But obviously my mom believes in the death penalty.

So no, I don't support the death penalty. Under any circumstances, no body deserves to die.
Forgive me, but I find your statement contradicting. You say that you don't believe in the death penalty because you don't think that anyone deserves to die, but yet you are against punishing those who take other people's lives?

And why don't you like telling people they're wrong? It's true that we don't know for sure that a certain person is guilty, but should that stop us from trying to do what's right for the sake of others? We may not know what a certain person thinks or feels, but regardless of whether we know or not, that does not mean they can just do what ever they please because they're feeling a certain way.

I do agree that it is a very unfortunate event if an innocent person is convicted for a crime that they did not commit, but people do make mistakes. We do have to keep in mind that the whole purpose for jail and the death penalty and other such things are for the good of the people. People spend months, even years, at a time going through evidence and testimonies and everything else they can possibly find so that they WON'T convict the wrong person. Will people make mistakes? Yes. Does that mean that we shouldn't enforce our laws because there's a slight chance we might get the wrong man? In my opinion, no.

Regards,

RC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back