disappointed with tamagotchi 20th anniversary edition.. =/

TamaTalk

Help Support TamaTalk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I was initially a bit disappointed in the 20th Anniversary Tamagotchi Mini, but it grew on me over time, and I came to like it as a less-demanding virtual pet to run alongside another more "standard" type of virtual pet. As with Hoky, it was the 20th Anniversary Mini that brought me back to the hobby, too.

They do have an inordinately long lifespan, though, and I'm not a fan of the shoehorning in of the Connection-era "Oldies" concept here. I think that I'd find it a bit more fun if the run-time was about a week or so shorter, in order to balance out the lower amount of interactivity.

That said, if they released another Anniversary Mini with P2 characters and P2 replica shells, I'd definitely buy one of those.

Let's not forget that the Mini is not a "new version" by any means, there were Minis/Chibis in the 2000's.

And also that "just looking for cash" is... literally what companies do.

That being said, I think it was a fun idea in Japan, where they have all these modern versions, releasing a mini reskin after all these years could have been nostalgic for some, and then the Shuku 20 Shunen line! I guess Bandai US/UK wasn't even planning on releasing the Minis, but if you remember, people in the west went BANANAS over "Tamagotchi coming back!!" in Japan when the minis came out here and started paying INSANE prices to import them (which was dumb imo), so guess they saw the opportunity and released them... Even though releasing a Mini in the West was a worse idea, because people assumed it would be like the original, but it wasn't. Cue lots of disappointment.

My friend has one of these, SHES REALLY DISSAPOINTED so I’ll take it from her.

hi, what version is the new Tamagotchi? I got one about a week ago and I've just been wondering.

Tamagotchi Mini. Basically watered down P1.

I just wish they'd do one with P2 characters, especially since as dumb-down as the minis are, they do have some new animations as well, and I'd love to get more Kusatchi!

I'm still not disappointed with mine. I do wish they did more, but that's why I have all my other tamas. I'm still hoping that people will get them, want more, and then get more involved with the hobby. The other thing that I hope is that they add in a little game like they did with the Gudetama tama. Still no hunger/happiness bars, but it'd be a little more involved, and that's cool.

Maybe a new mini version that interacts with the app in some way? Passwords or whatever?

I mean, yeah. They are pretty basic (as my Dad says) and poorly made.

I got mine yesterday and I was kinda bummed.

I just wish they'd do one with P2 characters, especially since as dumb-down as the minis are, they do have some new animations as well, and I'd love to get more Kusatchi!
Yeah, I'd love to buy a P2-based Mini, as well. It's a pity that that wasn't what one of the later waves of Minis was.

and poorly made.
How are they poorly-made, out of curiousity?

Mine seems to have the same sort of build-quality and quality of materials as any of my other Tamagotchis, and, indeed, many of my other vintage virtual pets.

Mine's a first-wave one, though. Has something changed with the later waves? :huh:

Last edited by a moderator:
Mine have been wave 1 and 2. The only 'poorly made' aspect I've run into is that some of the tampographed deco markings rub off (the clock numbers from my wave 1 got pretty rough)

I was a little bit disappointed and wish they had more features. It would be really nice if they had a little bit more stuff to do, like name it, and at least have one mini game. I got mine for 15$, it should of been way less since their isn't many features, like 10$ or so, that would of been perfect. Wish I would of known before cause I could of bought a better Tamagotchi on ebay then this one. I still try to enjoy it though! I also wish I could pause it cause I keep sleeping and my tama keeps pooping and getting sick. <_< It needs so many improvements but it's too late now.

Even the original P1's didn't have the option to name them, so yeah.

They're just Minis, it would have been better if they were more advertised as such, instead of claiming that they are "just like you remember them".

I can agree with that. Considering they've gotten to a fourth wave already though, I'm hoping that they go that route or just release the ACTUAL 20th anniversary P1/P2's outside of Japan. I think if people are willing to pay $15 for a mini, they'd prolly drop $20 on a P1/P2 without wondering about it too hard.

I can agree with that. Considering they've gotten to a fourth wave already though, I'm hoping that they go that route or just release the ACTUAL 20th anniversary P1/P2's outside of Japan. I think if people are willing to pay $15 for a mini, they'd prolly drop $20 on a P1/P2 without wondering about it too hard.
Oddly, a P1 was spotted at Bandai's booth at a UK toy-fair back in February...

As someone who has collected hundreds of different cyberpets since the original Gen1 Tamagotchi I cannot understand not buying the anniversary edition. It may not be as advanced as the original but as a collector it is a must to have. I have bought three of them so far all are still boxed.

I totally would get one if they were sold where I'm from, since they aren't I'm not that inclined to pay more than their listing price for them online, unless I find a good offer or they actually sell them over here one day. I think I'd rather have a Mini or Chibi from their original release, they have much better shells.

Yeah, I wouldn't drop more than $15 for them, but I plan on grabbing the cool decos I find if I'm in the mood and have a little extra money. The flocked ones are cool... as long as you don't get melted candy on them and ruin them. Well, and they're lint magnets. ><
Honestly, I have 4 at this point and probably won't by any more until they put new characters on them, as most of the ones I have are still sitting in the package. =/

I also wasn't exactly aware that the 20th anniversary edition was just a watered down version of the originals. I thought it'd have the meters, the games, and everything, just in a way smaller screen.

It's really just a cute keychain!

But, it's because of this edition that brought me back to my Dream Town and made me want to play it again!

So for me, it wasn't a complete waste!

I wanna start collecting, so having this edition around is part of that journey. ^_^

As someone who has collected hundreds of different cyberpets since the original Gen1 Tamagotchi I cannot understand not buying the anniversary edition. It may not be as advanced as the original but as a collector it is a must to have. I have bought three of them so far all are still boxed.
True. But as an original P1 collector, I am disappointed. I paid 19.99 plus 13% tax (thanks Canada) for my series 3. And I have my P1 that I purchased Sept 1997 with the receipt and everything for .... you guessed it....19.99 plus tax!!!

So I do think we are WAY overpaying but I also want one as a collectors item. As someone who has many many V1-V6 new in box I have zero desire to get this one in box (I have an opened one).

True. But as an original P1 collector, I am disappointed. I paid 19.99 plus 13% tax (thanks Canada) for my series 3. And I have my P1 that I purchased Sept 1997 with the receipt and everything for .... you guessed it....19.99 plus tax!!!

So I do think we are WAY overpaying but I also want one as a collectors item. As someone who has many many V1-V6 new in box I have zero desire to get this one in box (I have an opened one).
You've been paying too much. Wayyyy to much. I can't remember what I payed for my original Gen 1 and 2s but it was in '97 so that's understandable. Tax is like mobsters coming to your house for interest. Shouldn't even exist. The 20th anniversary ones have cost me so far £10 each in The Entertainer (toy shop).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back