Tamagotchi Target Audience

TamaTalk

Help Support TamaTalk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Whoo. I gotta get this off my chest... *Deep Breath* Here Goes!
Okay, so I just recieved 3 P1 Tamagotchis in the mail to add to my collection. My collection is fairly small, so I wanted to grow it some. When I took them out of the package they were so... so... great!

Back then, Tamaotchis were unisex. They were for everyone, not just 10-year-old girls. I still love the new ones, I just wish they weren't so girly and childish now.

I'm so tired of sneaking onto the Tamagotchi aisle at the store. What if someone I know sees me! Do you know how humiliating that would be?!?!? All my friends and family are constantly saying how I need to grow up. That's what Bandai has done! They have taken something as great as a Tamagotchi and mutilated it beyon repair. Just look at the website. Flowers, happy faces and eyes... Yes, I said eyes. Everything has eyes.

I just wish that Bandai would make Tamagotchis cool again. In the 90s they were for EVERYBODY!!!

I hope I didn't offend anyone, I just need to get that off my chest!

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

P.S. Go to this page and tell me what you think. I have 3 words. Oh. My. Gosh. : (
I know what you mean ><

At Wal-Mart they are in the little kid's section in Electronics. It really annoy's me that I have to go way in the Back just to find a Tamagotchi. So I began to use Ebay/Amazon.

I mean I have a P1 Tamagotchi, it look's so cool. Not aimed for 9 year old girl's.

I think now they are just trying to give kid's something to play with in the car when their parent's don't want them going "Are we there yet!?!?!?"

I'm so with you everytime I go to get a tamagotchi I'm always sneaking around trying not be seen because im right there with you if one of my friends saw me i would be embarresed to so they should stop making them so girly [no offense]

It's also sexist how the female tamas can't appreciate robots and how male tamas can't like dolls.

BanDai should have more concern for gender equality...no offense.

True. I'm a girl and I never really liked dolls.
It embarrasses me when the girl tama refuses the robot

Guys could like plushies

Girls could like robots

That's why My Life As A Teenage Robot exists, but I'm not going off topic now.

BanDai show consider gender equality...why can't they make a lot of toys for the tam(regardless of gender) and have a specific one a tam likes and another it doesn't like, like how it has a favorite and disliked food? :p

And yeah, no target audience. I mean, I see more teens interested more than kids. Tamagotchi was originally a virtual pet for everybody. It's like cartoons, but now, they are limited to kids.

Don't limit fun stuff to kids. Fun is for everybody, just define how you express it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I know. I always sneak into that isle too. I try to keep quiet and when my dad has to ask...he says it's for my book buddy. I think Bandai needs to make them touch screen and include a town where you can walk through it and touch it with a pen...

It could a Nintenochi!!! A nintendo that is a tamagotchi and a nintendo!!!

Does anyone agree with me???

It embarrasses me when the girl tama refuses the robot
Guys could like plushies

Girls could like robots

That's why My Life As A Teenage Robot exists, but I'm not going off topic now.
I couldn't agree more. I'm a girl and I like robots and I don't like dolls.

So why are Tamagotchi like that too?

Well, that's something that Bandai's already done, and it's not like they can take back EVERYONE'S v2, v3, v4 and/or v4.5 and change it!

I know exactly what you mean. But they are too cool to NOT buy/play with. My family probably thinks I need to "Grow up". But I really don't care because I enjoy it. And I was making my friend play with them, lmao. But she got bored of them. Tamagotchi's are so great for car rides and when you ARE bored though, it's fun. So I really am trying to look past how old and what gender you need to be for ANYTHING.

Okay, so I just recieved 3 P1 Tamagotchis in the mail to add to my collection. My collection is fairly small, so I wanted to grow it some. When I took them out of the package they were so... so... great!

Back then, Tamaotchis were unisex. They were for everyone, not just 10-year-old girls. I still love the new ones, I just wish they weren't so girly and childish now.

I'm so tired of sneaking onto the Tamagotchi aisle at the store. What if someone I know sees me! Do you know how humiliating that would be?!?!? All my friends and family are constantly saying how I need to grow up. That's what Bandai has done! They have taken something as great as a Tamagotchi and mutilated it beyon repair. Just look at the website. Flowers, happy faces and eyes... Yes, I said eyes. Everything has eyes.

I just wish that Bandai would make Tamagotchis cool again. In the 90s they were for EVERYBODY!!!

:) ;)

P.S. Go to this page and tell me what you think. I have 3 words. Oh. My. Gosh. : (
Ok , so im guessing your a boy xD

Anyways , yes, there are alot of girly skins , but other than that , nothing about it is girly.

I think your referring to the fact that taking care of a little pet thingy is something girls like to do more than boys. thats 0K.

Yeah... You know, I wish that toy stores would stop putting the things in the little girls aisle. It embarrases me to no end when a sales clerk comes up to me, while I'm holding a tamagotchi, and asks if I'm buying it for my "little sister". You should see their expressions when I tell them that I don't HAVE a little sister, and the toy is for ME. God, the way they look at me, you'd think I'd grown another head... ^_^ I mean, the tamagotchi is meant to be a toy for all ages, and all genders. If they were kept in the electronics aisle, I'm sure that people of all ages would be more inclined to buy them, as it would be less...AWKWARD... So yeah... My two cents.

I don't really play with Tamagotchi much nowadays, but for some reason I often go to where the Tamagotchi are out of nostalgia or whatever it's called.

And the last time I went there, I was a little surprised at where they put the Tamagotchi.

Half that aisle has toys for little girls, the other half has toys for little boys. In a way that is kinda good that it's not just in a "girly aisle" but I did feel very embarrassed, walking in an aisle that had little children's toys in it.

I wouldn't be put off by the flowers, there are a lot of japanese products that are marketed like that. It's just a cultural difference.

But I think Bandai IS changing the image of tamagotchi. the new TMGC+C is very expensive (too expensive for a toy really) and well designed. It is sleek and modern looking, not flowery and childish. perhaps the change is happening sooner than you think :D

Ever since the V4, I think that the Tamagotchi wa a little more intended for girls. I mean, that was the first time I remember seeing pink flower designs on the shelves.

And now, Tamagotchi is really a girl toy. A Tamagotchi family, in my opinion, is for a mostly female audience. Maybe BanDai doesn't realize this, or maybe they're strategically making girly Tamas. (..but if they were, I'd wonder why..)

And, I also think that BanDai is taking the "cute" idea too far. Yes, that means I also don't think buildings should have eyes. That's just scary, now that every inanimate object can see (in Tamatown, I mean xD). BanDai had great ideas for the V5, but they just don't seem like they're Tamagotchi anymore. They're just a bit.. different.

Now, when I look for Tamagotchi stuff, I end up in the isle with the Polly Pockets and Barbies and Bratz. I used to, believe it or not, go to the isle with Hot Wheel cars and Star Wars stuff to look for Tamagotchi. But maybe that's just the toy store's fault, not Bandai's.

So yeah, I'm done now :3

Last edited by a moderator:
I just wanted to add my two cents. I love some of the ideas that people are spouting in here. There are some really good points. I totally dislike how the newer connections have games, jobs, school, etc. Like someone else said in here; THEY WERE MEANT TO BE PETS! Pets don't (usually) go to school or work. I just bought a new TMGC+C and it's great because there are no jobs, and there's not a point system to determine which tamagotchi you get. It's all about proper care and such. So not only is it great because it's in color, but it's also got short n' sweet games, and less pain in the butt features. It's like the oldschool tams, but in color! :eek:

Don't care what ur friends say because u like tamagotchis and u do. No one is forcing u to like them. U could still go into the tamagotchi isle and don't care what they say. I always go to the tamagotchi isle and see what tamagotchi item they have and no one says anything to me. If I could to it u could to it too!

:) :D

Haven't read everything in this topic yet, just the first page... but I'm gonna express my opinion.

I think influence is what makes people so self-conscious about what they like. It's obvious a lot of people wouldn't think the way they do if it wasn't 'bad' that it seems feminine or 'bad' for being for little kids.

Why does it really matter who it's marketted to? It seems people don't really care THAT it's feminine, but that the feminine-ness attracts negative opinions... and if people think negatively of you because of that, that's because they were influenced to think that way. A cycle. I feel people don't really care about me if they're going to judge me on whether I like/dislike the same things as them. I'm a 18 yo chick, but if I brought my Tama out in public, I'd do it with honor... regardless of public opinion.

If anyone agrees, please say so... and if you don't, also say so. I'm sorry if my message seemed or was worded like it seemed like an attack, I'm not, it's just how I feel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back