Are Tama's Alive?

TamaTalk

Help Support TamaTalk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
TAMAGOTCHIS ARE ALIVE THEY EAT THEY SLEEP THEY FRINK THEY BREATHE BUT ALL IN THIER LITTLE WORLD!!!!

Myn are alive but only to me and my sis. They are friends to me but just toys to everyone else. I cant really describe what I mean.

MCK :)

I guess i mean they are not technecly alive but they are real to me. like my teddys and rag dolls.

MCK

It depends on how passionate your love is for your cute little pixel-pile,

for example... my version 1 was real to me, because i loved it sooooooo much.

we went through lovely times and my tama was truly a daily ritual and DEFINETLEY my best friend who i dearly treasured, on the other hand my versions 2,3 and 4 are just good toys or if i was more absorbed by them... friends.

to sum it up:

V1= Best friend

V's 2,3 and 4= fun toys

you decide!

~ hazeyjune

They are only as real as you make them.

I personally think they are alive in a sense. If I don't feed them, they die. Just like my fish, dogs, and cat.

But they also aren't alive in the sense that they don't breathe or have true feelings. Just electronic code and wires.

I have always thought that my tamagotchi is a living creature, but Iwant to see what everyone else thinks.

I think that they are alive in a sense that they have feelings, needs, and require love and attention.

What about you?
Oh of course they're alive. They're just as a regular pet you would have. Sure, you can't touch them and cuddle with them like you would with a cat or dog. But you can feed them and play with it and buy them things, just like a normal pet.

However, if you do ignore them they'll start beeping for attention and most likely get angry and turn they're back on you. I know that whenever I don't pay attention to my dog he'll start nuzzling on my leg or growling at me for attention.

Some of you might think it's just a toy, but I don't think it is. Don't you get dissappointed when your tamagotchi dies? I sure do. In fact, it's hard at first but it's always fun to raise another one and seeing what it will evolve into. Same with a normal pet, you would get sad or maybe even depressed if it dies. Sure, you'd start crying unlike with tamagotchi, but that's because your dog/cat doesn't have a reset button now does it? :angry:

EDIT: Spelling mistakes.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have always thought that my tamagotchi is a living creature, but Iwant to see what everyone else thinks.

I think that they are alive in a sense that they have feelings, needs, and require love and attention.

What about you?
I think we all know the are make-believe characters. Make-believe creatures.

But your right , they do have the same needs as a living thing. Which makes it fun. Bandai has done a good job :)

ya, i think so! they depend on you so i think they deserve you to treat them like they are real. i kept mine by me constantly. and i will keep mine close to me always...

It's not a living creature, it was made by man. It's a machine, people. Again, the human mind can give anything a personality, thus personifying it.

Or we could go with the 'all Tamas are from the magical land of ponycorns and rainbow children111'.

you know, you dont have to be insulting. just because we think they have feelings doesn't mean we think they come from the "magical land of ponycorns and rainbow children"! :)

you know, you dont have to be insulting. just because we think they have feelings doesn't mean we think they come from the "magical land of ponycorns and rainbow children"! :)
Geez, I only said that for fun. No need to take offense.

Besides, I wouldn't let my tamagotchi starve to death either. I'm not that kind of person. I'm just stating that they're not real; they're man made.

Tamas are ...well... have alive and half dead. the outside is dead while the inside(characters) are alive, if you ask me. Everyone obviously have different opinions so it all depends on imagination.

It's not a living creature, it was made by man. It's a machine, people. Again, the human mind can give anything a personality, thus personifying it
:eek: This begs to question, what is life? Really. If man makes a clone is it alive? By your logic, no, it wouldn't be because man made things aren't living creatures. Because man procreates man does this make man not a living creature? The question is not about a tamagotchi being a person or having a personality but is asking the question, is it living?

One could argue that a skin cell can be either living or non-living so what makes a tamagotchi so different? What are the parameters for being classified as alive? Only by finding this can we really decide if they are alive or not. Simply being a complex being such as ourselves is not enough to say that something is alive or not. Tamagotchi are more complex than a living skin cell. The supposed creature inside is growing and decaying. Does this not qualify for life? Did humanity not come from simple chemical bonds? Looking at atomic levels we are all made of similar things. Where do we begin to differ? Where is this line?

Perhaps we have been mislead! Perhaps the Japanese have really developed a device that magnifies a microscopic life-form into a communication interface that computes our button commands into a kind of remedial language!!! With this we communicate and comprehend this life form as a compilation of pixels and beeps!!

This is coming from the person who believes her iPod has a mind of its own but seriously, don't be so quick to judge life and non-life, there are a million different ways of looking at a situation. :p

If man makes a clone, it's biological, so why can't it be alive? Oh, I see that I am contradicting myself. But the clone is man itself and it has the capacity to think to make decisions for itself. Tamagotchi can't, nor can most 'primitive' machines.

Parameters for being classified as alive: biologically alive. Am I phrasing that right? Tamagotchi aren't really alive. Like someone said in this thread, they are about as alive as a bedpost. They are programmed to do things like a computer is. You're thinking philosophically, aren't you?

I enjoy being philosophical about some things, like life. You have your opinion and I have mine. Call me close minded, but whatever. I don't call Christians close-minded for believing in Jesus.

Yes there are a million different ways of looking at a situation. I chose the technical one. Talking about contradictions, the Charter of Rights has some.

I thought you were a guy, lol

[SIZE=8pt]Well, no, I don't believe that Tamas are actually alive...[/SIZE]

Technically, their a minature version of a computer game, only handheld.

They don't have a heart beat, they don't breathe air.

But that doesn't mean I don't like the little guys.

I've always been a big fan of Tamagotchis, and I wouldn't neglect mine because they're not alive. I take good care of them. :blink:

If man makes a clone, it's biological, so why can't it be alive? Oh, I see that I am contradicting myself. But the clone is man itself and it has the capacity to think to make decisions for itself. Tamagotchi can't, nor can most 'primitive' machines.
Parameters for being classified as alive: biologically alive. Am I phrasing that right? Tamagotchi aren't really alive. Like someone said in this thread, they are about as alive as a bedpost. They are programmed to do things like a computer is. You're thinking philosophically, aren't you?

I enjoy being philosophical about some things, like life. You have your opinion and I have mine. Call me close minded, but whatever. I don't call Christians close-minded for believing in Jesus.

Yes there are a million different ways of looking at a situation. I chose the technical one. Talking about contradictions, the Charter of Rights has some.

I thought you were a guy, lol
:p I'm not trying to be mean. I just like people who think. If you've got a good point I'll respond to you but I also belive that in everything we do we should strive to be better and find the best answer. So if there is a flaw in your argument I'll point it out because throgh this, you can make a better argument and as a whole those who are involved can come to a conclusion that is more true than before. I'd expect anyone to do the same to me... I understand this is a bit harsh but really it's a great compliment. You've been making great posts! :D It's cool to find smart people!

I realise that we're starting to come into a grey area where neither of us will be right or wrong but hear me out. A tamagotchi is a form of Artificial Intelligence. Yes, it is a robot. No, it is not biological. It may not feel in the same way that we understand it but neither do plants nor do our organs have pain receptors. A tamagotchi reacts to the stimulus of a button press and it's mood appears to change depending on how you take care of it. Much like a plant will wither and thrive with differig care. Plants are alive right?

Just because we can't predict exactly how humans will react to growth like we can with Tamagotchi we can make the assumtion that with good care a human child will grow into someone with a better shot at life than one who is not. Is this not a biological programmig? are computer programs and DNA programs really so different? Would you consider a less evolved life form less alive? Is Artificial Intelligence not just a less evolved form of biological intelligence? :D At least I'd argue that a Tamagotchi is more alive than a bedpost.

EQUALITY FOR ROBOTS!!! (>>Astro Boy Fan)

B) It doesn't suprize me that you thought I was a guy. I've always been a bit of a tomboy I do make comics about giant robots and war among aliens... :p I'm not very girly in all the ways that I think ^_^ is it a bad thing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back