Should Smoking be illegal?

TamaTalk

Help Support TamaTalk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Smoking cannot be banned.

Even if it was banned, smokers would still find out a way to smoke.

If people wanna smoke, let them. It's their life and their business, not yours.

Last edited by a moderator:
*ahem*
Lemme get this straight.

Those things can't be illegal, just cause you think it's bad for the environment.

And a few points:

If there weren't any cars, how else would people get to far away places, besides catching a bus, ship or train?

If there were no light bulbs, how are we supposed to get light besides from lighting a candle and all that?

If there weren't any coins or dollar bills, what would people even use to buy something, like a console and all that?

If there weren't any batteries, how are electronic devices, such as a Wii Remote, supposed to operate?

And if PCs and TVs didn't exist, what would people use to play their computer or video games?

Also, if phones didn't exist, how would people communicate with people they know from far away, besides using IMing programs on computers?

Seriously.

Also, don't bring up the environment into a smoking thread.
I'm pretty sure she was being sarcastic :/

People know the dangers. Reread the thread and have it sink into that skull of yours.Smoking being illegal would cause an uproar. Suicide rates would skyrocket. People will start smuggling them. Innocent people who smoke will have their butts landed in jail for their addiction.

The whole petty "It's bad for you!" and "It's 29% of global warming!" argument is old. It don't work.

It is bad for your body, but some people do it anyways. It's their choice.

Personally, I wouldn't smoke because I'm athletic, it'll effect my energy. Thats about it. Some people relieve stress by that.
Ok, that was just kind of rude. >.< Why would you say that to anyone?

I really did think we were friends.

But, it would be very hard to MAKE smoking illegal, I thnk..
I agree to that though. It would be very hard. So many people smoke! >.<

And what I meant by people not knowing the true dangers of smoking is that some people keep saying, "Lots of other things are unhealthy too, why shouldn't they also be banned?" or "The chance of getting lung cancer from smoking is only 4%" or something like that. I understand that everyone know the true dangers of smoking, but saying stuff like that just makes you (I'm not directing this at anyone) seem that you don't think smoking is dangerous or that you're not taking smoking seriously about how dangerous it can be. I'm sorry if this offends anyone.

Ok, that was just kind of rude. >.< Why would you say that to anyone?
I really did think we were friends.
She said that to you because you don't seem to understand, after so many pages that people DO know the dangers. You keep pushing that they're oblivious to the 'facts' you're trying to pull. You've basically been saying this whole time that people who don't want smoking banned are stupid.

.... I understand that everyone know the true dangers of smoking, but saying stuff like that just makes you (I'm not directing this at anyone) seem that you don't think smoking is dangerous or that you're not taking smoking seriously about how dangerous it can be. I'm sorry if this offends anyone.
With this reply I think you have confirmed you now understand that others in this thread really DO understand just how bad smoking can be for a persons health, and I hope, accept that some people can make an objective decision to continue to smoke even though they know just how bad it can be to your health.

I wish the pros and cons on everything in life were simple to look at and easy to decide on, but unfotunately life is not like that.

It seems simple and obvious to suggest that smoking tobacco should be illegal because it is an addictive habit which can, in many people (but not everyone) cause illness and disease, even early death.

But whilst it seems simple and totally sensible, the health argument is not big enough to change opinion in favor of a ban. That's because there are other arguments to consider in favor of smoking - and they're not only the whole debate on freedom to choose if you smoke or not, but also include strong political and economic influences for example.

Life's complicated :(

A good debate about these issues does help lots of us to learn about other peoples opinions and how different they can be to our own. That's why everyone tries to be mature and sensible ;)

When you get emotional and defensive you run the risk of offending others - or being offended by others - especially if you consider them friends.

Just remember that good friends don't have to agree 100% about everything and that a balanced person can look at a totally different point of view and consider the argument from the other side even if they don't agree with it.

With this reply I think you have confirmed you now understand that others in this thread really DO understand just how bad smoking can be for a persons health, and I hope, accept that some people can make an objective decision to continue to smoke even though they know just how bad it can be to your health.
I wish the pros and cons on everything in life were simple to look at and easy to decide on, but unfotunately life is not like that.

It seems simple and obvious to suggest that smoking tobacco should be illegal because it is an addictive habit which can, in many people (but not everyone) cause illness and disease, even early death.

But whilst it seems simple and totally sensible, the health argument is not big enough to change opinion in favor of a ban. That's because there are other arguments to consider in favor of smoking - and they're not only the whole debate on freedom to choose if you smoke or not, but also include strong political and economic influences for example.

Life's complicated :rolleyes:

A good debate about these issues does help lots of us to learn about other peoples opinions and how different they can be to our own. That's why everyone tries to be mature and sensible :angry:

When you get emotional and defensive you run the risk of offending others - or being offended by others - especially if you consider them friends.

Just remember that good friends don't have to agree 100% about everything and that a balanced person can look at a totally different point of view and consider the argument from the other side even if they don't agree with it.
Yes, but good friends wouldn't say "and have it sink into that skull of yours". >.<

I think it should be illegal. I mean what does smoking do exactly? It just makes people waste $100s of dollars and in the end they get cancer or something from it.
Lets see the failed logic here...

You can't make it illegal, just because it's unhealthy or people "waste" money on it. This is just like the other 78 comments that gave a lame reason why It should be outlawed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back