The Tamagotchi Spirit

TamaTalk

Help Support TamaTalk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The tamagotchi craze is definitely dying. DEFINITELY. the only tama things i ever see at target or wal-mart is maybe 1 tamago, for like $10, or a few gotchi figurs for $1 each. not kidding. i just got ringotchi, kuthipatchi, mame- the point, i got around 8 figures for i buck each. in a clearence BOX. yeah i miss those times back in like 4th grade.. (2004) where every boy or girl had one.. all v2's or v3's... when v4.5 started coming, i think thats when tamagotchi lost its luster. i still play with mine, though. i have every one but v5. (XD) i wish bandai would make something BIG for tamagotchi to make it come back... why the hell am i crying..

I recently went off TT for about 4 month due to me going of Tamagotchi. Then my Laptop broke. (It still is right now.) But Suddenley yesterday I just started drawing Mametchi and I'm back into the spirit. :) Now I'm pretty much Back (Getting my laptop fixed soon.) and its just like 4 month ago. The spirit is still here. I've noticed many new fans registering so by christmas TT will be crowded by Tama fans. ^_^

I recently went off TT for about 4 month due to me going of Tamagotchi. Then my Laptop broke. (It still is right now.) But Suddenley yesterday I just started drawing Mametchi and I'm back into the spirit. :) Now I'm pretty much Back (Getting my laptop fixed soon.) and its just like 4 month ago. The spirit is still here. I've noticed many new fans registering so by christmas TT will be crowded by Tama fans. ^_^

Sadly the Tamagotchi section at our Toys R Us is pathetic. I had a heck of a time finding them and when I did they had exactly three of them in a very tiny section. No figures at all. Just three TamaGos. I'm afraid it doesn't look like Tamagotchi is going to be on store shelves much longer. Man, the original VPet deserves better than this.

Sadly the Tamagotchi section at our Toys R Us is pathetic. I had a heck of a time finding them and when I did they had exactly three of them in a very tiny section. No figures at all. Just three TamaGos. I'm afraid it doesn't look like Tamagotchi is going to be on store shelves much longer. Man, the original VPet deserves better than this.

My Toys R us only has like 5 music stars and thats it. The only place I can get Tamas now is Car boot sales or ebay. :/

Yeah, it's fading. Just keep emailing Bandai and TELL THE TO RELEASE OLDER VERSIONS KEEP THE SPIRIT GOING!

I highly doubt they would even consider re-releasing old tamas again.... The only thing the might even think about is the Garden we never got years ago...... But I doubt it because the shells and graphics aren't as up to date.

They need to stop doing the every-other year thing and re-releasing the same tama in different shells thing.... Its getting thin. Japan, gets a new one every year... I swear. Yes they have a greater following but maybe that should hint something to Bandai America...? People want something fresh! And playing with the same toy for a year or two ... well I think we get it... Its like playing with a single figure for 2 hours... you get bored.

I'm the same as robodog. The Tama-Gos are in two tiny boxes and there are about 15 in all in my local ToyWorld, and they're on clearance sale in an attempt to get people to buy them! I totally agree wtih Violetchilluvr3, SailorRosette and robodog. Tamas are just out of fashion now. They're considered the "old-fashioned kids toys". You know, if you've read Charlie and the Chocolate Factory by Roald Dahl, how they say kids used to read instead of watch T.V.? It's like that with Tamas and iPhones etc. In the modern situation it would be "kids used to play Tamagotchis instead of texting".

I personally am really lagging behind on the lastest technology and my household is like, 7-10 years behind the current trends. I don't have a taste of Facebook and iPads, but there's a boy in my class who just plays an iPad right through class. I sit near him so I watch him, and it looks awfully boring. I'd much rather be figring out a strategy of having a midnight feast in my room without my door being locked which isn't allowed, or playing with a Tama during class, or staying up till 11 PM in secret or something which is actually what I did after watching the boy for about 30 seconds.

But yes, I totally agree with everyone that Tamagotchi popularity is decreasing. I view us 10 and up year olds who still love Tamas as the "old Tama fans" who've hung on to the toy they had as 5-year-olds even though all their friends have moved on. I think that's a pretty clear way to view it :)

Ya when i whent 2 toys r us i found the tama spot decent space i relly want 2 c what its like now! I rember a long time a go when everyone in school had a tama and then we whould play with them lunch time till they got banned from the school! Then it died even i havent started my tamas untill this year......its sooo sad TT its soooo sad

I almost want to think Pokemon Cards (Or Pokemon in General) kinda killed the spirit... Once Pokemon came out, everyone was on that and who knows where all those tamas went... Then sometime around Jhoto pokemon people a good chunk of people decided that wasn't cool anymore either... Of corse that is my grade/class at the time....

I can remember a slow transfer at first... Then the Card Decks came out and then became the trading craze too... I do wonder time to time if some people I know kept them because of the other digital pets they had too...

Last edited by a moderator:
I think Pokemon Cards were really just the beginning. In my personal opinion (just judging based off of my local area) only the people who were there when Pokemon first came out really give the franchise any love. Like most other TT members, I seem to be the only person within a 100 mile radius who knows the difference between a version 4 and version 3 tama. But, as long is there is still people who care about tamas here, the spirit will still be alive.

Besides, there is always Japan, which as stated before, gets a new tama practically once a year. Man I wish I lived in Japan ;-;

@Pikaluvz

I'm in the same boat,"What's that?"and "Oh hey I remember those..."are the things I hear people say the most.I only have 1 Tama crazy friend like me even though all of my friends had tamas at some point.In my school now,students get caught for texting in class not playing with a tamagotchi.I wish more people were into tamas where I am so I can connect with more people.Maybe if Bandai was better about advertising Tamagotchi then the spirit would be more...alive.It's still here but not as much as it used to be.How many times have you gone to the grocery store lately and seen a person with a Tamagotchi?I haven't seen one.

Ya, around here... I went into an Anime store. They import stuff like crazy... and price tag like crazy too.... (Standard Animes though) I pulled out my Tama IDL they were like HOLY Crap, its in color! I didn't think they make those anymore! I still have my Tama from the 90s...... Then I go to show them and they are flabber-gasted (speechless)

I was planning on asking the store owner what a few of the un-useable options were... She was in a reaction about the Tama too. I was like I'm going to facepalm myself to death when I get home..........

She was so interested in it that she didn't translate it for me... Then I went on my soap box (excessive talking in short) about the IDL/Other Tamas and other things they didn't know about.............. I was like.... HOW CAN YOU NOT know about this stuff?! You are Japanese and talk to people daily from Japan............

So sad :( I remember I used to be so irresponsible about pets. Then when I was 3 (my parents were stunned) I managed to tame an extremely bitey and evil cockatiel, who became so smitten with me, he would try to feed me and followed me around the house. Then my parents heard about Tamagotchis, and since I loved pets, I got a tama when I was 6. It taught me how to care for pets, and right now my parents never worry about me getting new pets because I'm so responsible with them. I'm never told to feed and water the dog and cat, to walk my dog, to play with him, to hang out with him, to love and play with my cat, to play with my birds, let them out for 2 hours a day, bring the cage into the sunshine outdoors to give the birds some fresh air, or to clean cages and fish tanks. Soon I will be getting a catfish (personal pet for my sea-themed room), a hermit crab (the tropical part of my room), and a German Shepherd dog, my absolute favorite dog breed ever!!!! My dog is getting old and is slacking off his guard dog duties, and I'd love to teach a GSD tons of tricks and have an actual puppy to take care of and be a companion to.

Basically, Tamagotchi is what got me into taking care of and loving animals. I'm obsessed with tamas and animals now. I have hundreds of animal care books, and it's bringing me to want to be a veterinarian, or a horse dentist or something with animals. It's sad that these days Tamas are "outdated" or "childish" because it does teach little kids how to take care of things and love them... and if you don't take care of a tama, it's the same outcome in real life (only real life is a lot worse), you get a really bad character, or one that doesn't listen or "love" you in its pixelly world. I still love tamas. Forever and always.

I recently looked for a TamaGo in Walmart, and there's usually this rack of electronics that are really old, outdated, overpriced, and unpopular, and Walmart brings the price down. There, on the bottom rack, were TamaGos.

Last edited by a moderator:
I recently looked for a TamaGo in Walmart, and there's usually this rack of electronics that are really old, outdated, overpriced, and unpopular, and Walmart brings the price down. There, on the bottom rack, were TamaGos.
The Tama Go wasn't even released in the UK and you can't find Tama's here anywhere..

In the UK, the Tamagotchi spirit isn't dying, it's already dead.

The Tamagotchi spirit is definitely dying. What I really wish is that Bandai wouldn't advertise for only a younger audience. What they don't seem to realize is that many people who truly care about Tamagotchis aren't ages 6-8; they are people in their teens, 20's, and 30's who probably grew up with them. Sure, kids will want the Tamagotchis and convince their parents to get them, so Bandai will make a good profit, but with the way technology is going, they'll be tired of Tamas in no time and start to care more about more advanced technology (Nintendo DS, iPads, cell phones, etc.). Then sales will decline because kids won't be wanting Tamagotchis. Meanwhile, older fans have to deal with people who are saying that Tamagotchis are kiddish and discouraging them from using them.

i Agree with Graphics first post in this topic! i still paly with my tamagotchi's and love it!!! but i think they are losing there appeal! as much as i'd hate to say it!

Omg, it's so bad in UK, I ony know 1 person there who owns a Tama and still she doesn't know any characters or anything!

And OMG What would you say if you came to NZ? NOBODY has a Tama here. EVERYBODY'S parents hate them. I have seen 1 person in NZ who had a Tama besides myself and my brother in my whole life.

I have never heard the word "Mametchi" let alone "Ura-

WHOA.

UraWhoatchi isn't a new Tama characters, it's just that, just as I was typing my reply someone knocked on my door. It was my friend, coming to visit. She'd brought one of her friends with her to my house. I showed them both into my room. Then the girl my friend had brought along said "hey, you have Tamagotchis!". I was totally stunned to here that work spoken properly without me teaching them how to pronounce it. "Yes, do you have any?" I asked and I realised I was literally shaking with excitement. This girl was 12 years old. She was a possibility of a real-life friend who goes on TamaTalk. "Yes, I have four. A version one, two version threes and a version four" she said. "What's the version 1 like?" I asked. "I haven't tried it". "It's just playing games and feeding it. Pretty boring" she said. "Do you go on Tamagotchi webiste?" she asked. I felt like my heart was doing thumping flips. "Yes, you mean TamaTown or...(I couldn't bring myself to think she might be a TamaTalker). "Yes, TamaTown, the one with bands and stuff". "What's your ID?" I asked.

Anyway, she didn't know her ID by heart and didn't want to know mine. But it just proves that these people do pop up, it's just luck to find them.

@Pikaluvz

I'm in the same boat,"What's that?"and "Oh hey I remember those..."are the things I hear people say the most.I only have 1 Tama crazy friend like me even though all of my friends had tamas at some point.In my school now,students get caught for texting in class not playing with a tamagotchi.I wish more people were into tamas where I am so I can connect with more people.Maybe if Bandai was better about advertising Tamagotchi then the spirit would be more...alive.It's still here but not as much as it used to be.How many times have you gone to the grocery store lately and seen a person with a Tamagotchi?I haven't seen one.
This makes me remember the good "old" days back in 2006 and 2007, when I was 5 or 6 and I took my Tamas into school every day when they were allowed. I connected with others and my Tama's friend list was full to bursting. I remember having to delete people to make room for others. I remember the time my friend taught me to pause it, and the time when all the Year One girls stood in a circle connecting Tamas.

Nowadays, my Tamas are lonely, crying out for the attention I lack giving them and also crying out for friends. I haven't connected with anyone else except my brother in years. I wish the Tamagotchi spirit was back and I had tons of people on my friends list again and I could find one person who knows the word "Mametchi".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back