Where did the User Ranks go?

TamaTalk

Help Support TamaTalk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't get me wrong I am not blaming a single person. It's people in general...
Exactly, it is just the General Public of TamaTalk. :) ...

Well actually... This is kind of what we are hoping to stop... Posting JUST to change ranks... It's much better for everyone if the emphasis is more on lots of productive/useful/helpful posts instead of lots of people trying to increase their rank up to the next level...
Exactly, it's quality over quantity. ;) . We all want to see great meaning full posts rather than short annoying messages that no-one really enjoys seeing/reading. :)

Oh yeah the idea good but I just made a post partly saying that was my 500th post! :eek: But yeah! Taking the user ranks away will make Tamatalk much better!

Oh yeah the idea good but I just made a post partly saying that was my 500th post! :blink: But yeah! Taking the user ranks away will make Tamatalk much better!
It will make some peoplestopspamming. That is a good thing. B)

Last edited by a moderator:
^Yeah. I don't care that much about the user ranks. As long as my post count is the same, I'm happy. :ph34r:
Me neither. It doesn't matter about the user rank. I just loove posting! It's fun! :)

Hello TamaTalkers!As many of you have noticed, the user rank system has been changed a bit... And by change I mean more like removed. The Guides and I have been discussing a change to the user rank system based on this poll. Our discussions ended up leading us into the issue of spam posting and the quest of many to increase their post counts/user rank for the sole purpose of seeing it change. This is usually done by posts consisting of single words, smilies or "ooh look I'm almost a TamaMax" type posts and topics. This leaves the TamaTalk Guide team with the job of cleaning house to get rid of these posts. As the site has grown so has the task of cleaning up. It gets difficult to read through and filter 1000 posts each day. So the thought of getting rid of the user rank system came up. The idea is that, in reality, user ranks really don't serve much of a purpose. Just because you become a TamaMax or TamaElder does not mean you have contributed hundreds and hundreds of useful posts. In much the same way, just because you have 200 posts doesn't mean you haven't contributed/participated as much as somebody with 5 times as many posts. The quality of the posts is not reflected in the post count and user rank. I have yet to find a system that easily tracks the quality versus the quantity.

So now what? We'd like to test out TamaTalk without user ranks for a while. If the "goal" of reaching a new rank is no longer available, will people still spam the forums as much? Let's go without it for a little while... See what happens.

We hope you understand that this was not a simple decision to make... It took a lot of discussion. I really believe it is worth trying out. After a short period without user ranks, we can create a poll to see how people feel about user ranks. Let's give ourselves a chance to get used to it and see if it is still missed after a few weeks without them.

I look forward to hearing your comments on this... Please feel free to reply to this topic and add your thoughts. As always, we are always open to suggestion and love to hear your thoughts. :furawatchi:
i don't realy agree don't u think some people

could have one and others don't ?

i like user rank things. it makes message boards more fun, and on the nintendo one, if you get a higher one, you get different privlleges, so it would give people a better reason to post. maybe this site should put user ranks on and put things you could get if you are higher. or maybe not. not my decision.

i like user rank things. it makes message boards more fun, and on the nintendo one, if you get a higher one, you get different privlleges, so it would give people a better reason to post. maybe this site should put user ranks on and put things you could get if you are higher. or maybe not. not my decision.
i realy wish they hadn't gone :furawatchi:

I think we should keep the user ranks!
simply said! I agree with u, but i don't really care because when i do get 1,500 posts eventually, i will be proud inside because i would be a tamaelder. But are these only temporary?

simply said! I agree with u, but i don't really care because when i do get 1,500 posts eventually, i will be proud inside because i would be a tamaelder. But are these only temporary?
It may or may not be permanent. As the Admin mentioned earlier, in October we will have a poll to see who likes the idea.

-Darkcore

Yeah, personally, I really don't care. If I had to pick, I would like to have them back.... Actually, I don't know... I don't care is my final choice. :furawatchi:

It really isn't that big of a deal. It's not like the post count is going away. And inside your mind you can still say your a TamaElder or whatever but now atleast others won't be making topics about it because it's pointless. Admin isn't preventing you from being proud of yourself he is just taking away a small detail in TamaTalk.

People who cram the spam should get their post count drained. As far as the User Ranking goes...if we still have post count why bother getting rid of it? It's just a word that emphasizes an already displayed number. (though the idea of the evolution from babytchi to marutchi to ichigotchi, etc. was cool...even if I'd wind up being a marutchi for life :unsure: )

I could see having no title upseting some people who thrive on that sort of thing...but if you'd leave because of the disappearance of TamaTalk Hierarchy, you were here for the wrong reason to begin with.

There still seem to be people here who are just not getting it... your number of posts MEAN NOTHING! What is of greater importance is what you contribute and your reputation because of what you contribute. I look at someone like Tama Mum... they have 704 posts at the time of this post. They don't post a whole lot but what they do post is always very useful, helpful and friendly. When I see a post by Tama Mum I read it cause I know it will be good... rather than briefly skimming to make sure there is nothing nasty. Tama Mum is just one example. There are other members like that too but... but that is what you should be aiming for, not making lots of posts or getting ranks or squares or anything like that.

Let me put it in perspective. If you have a fight with your best friend and you go to your other friends for help, you would much rather appreciate the one who gives you good advice on how to fix the problem rather than the friends that go "Oh, that's too bad!" "Yeah, that sucks""That's so mean". Little one liners which don't really help...

Hello TamaTalkers!As many of you have noticed, the user rank system has been changed a bit...  And by change I mean more like removed.  The Guides and I have been discussing a change to the user rank system based on this poll.  Our discussions ended up leading us into the issue of spam posting and the quest of many to increase their post counts/user rank for the sole purpose of seeing it change.  This is usually done by posts consisting of single words, smilies or "ooh look I'm almost a TamaMax" type posts and topics.  This leaves the TamaTalk Guide team with the job of cleaning house to get rid of these posts.  As the site has grown so has the task of cleaning up.  It gets difficult to read through and filter 1000 posts each day.  So the thought of getting rid of the user rank system came up.  The idea is that, in reality, user ranks really don't serve much of a purpose.  Just because you become a TamaMax or TamaElder does not mean you have contributed hundreds and hundreds of useful posts.  In much the same way, just because you have 200 posts doesn't mean you haven't contributed/participated as much as somebody with 5 times as many posts.  The quality of the posts is not reflected in the post count and user rank.  I have yet to find a system that easily tracks the quality versus the quantity. 

So now what?  We'd like to test out TamaTalk without user ranks for a while.  If the "goal" of reaching a new rank is no longer available, will people still spam the forums as much?  Let's go without it for a little while...  See what happens.

We hope you understand that this was not a simple decision to make...  It took a lot of discussion. I really believe it is worth trying out.  After a short period without user ranks, we can create a poll to see how people feel about user ranks.  Let's give ourselves a chance to get used to it and see if it is still missed after a few weeks without them.

I look forward to hearing your comments on this...  Please feel free to reply to this topic and add your thoughts.  As always, we are always open to suggestion and love to hear your thoughts. ^_^
I totally agree. Too many people SPAM, just to get their user ranks up. It's pointless! It doesn't make you a TamaGuide! But I know that some people will still SPAM, just to get their post count up. I think that this topic has made many people think that what they are doing is wrong, and they shouldn't be posting SPAM. And for all of you that don't know what SPAM is, it's a Short, Pointless, Annoying, Message, SPAM. SPAM is not good, and it doesn't help TamaTalk, Admin, TamaGuides, or TamaTalkers. So please, help us all make all of this SPAM stop! It's just not good for everyone. I also think that all or most of those people that SPAM should have their post count lowered. I know that it might be A LOT of work, but if you are up for it, then that might also be the other thing to do. And if some of us SPAMed before, and if they are reading this, then I think that they should think twice about all of the SPAM that they have made here on TamaTalk, and stop all of the SPAMing, and try not to do it ever again, if they could possably help it. I really hope that everyone thinks about it, and stops all of the SPAMing. It's just isn't the right thing to do, and it's not smart, either. SPAMing has a big effect on others, too. If you SPAM a lot, and a newbie comes in and sees that you are SPAMing, then that newbie might start to SPAM, too. I really think that after someone has looked at this topic, and thought about it, then they will try not to SPAM again. Or..... At least I really hope that this topic has made a difference, and made everyone think about it. So please, help all of TamaTalk, and join in the effort to help and make TamaTalk a SPAM free place! Yay!

- Tama_chi -

Good, I hated the ratings. They just made ppl compete against each other and spam off the walls. Also, If you give someone advice they dont take you as seriosly if your just a tamamember than if you were a tamaElder. I think this is a good step towards the site.

Well, for me it's in the middle of good and not such a good decicion, because It will help people not to spam, but I don't want my posts deleted....It shows how much you like Tamatalk.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back