Do your friends/family know that you collect?

TamaTalk

Help Support TamaTalk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yesterday i posted a picture on facebook of some tamagotchis i'm running right now, and my mother commented that :

"OH NO !! LOL"

Made me laugh so hard xD

Last edited by a moderator:
My dad came to visit me a bit earlier and I was in the middle of making a crotchet pouch for my Giga Pets Salem the Cat. I started showing him my crotchet covers and talk a bit about my collection and I was very positively surprised to see that he was actually interested in what I was saying. We even popped the batteries into my Salem the Cat to see the starting animation and some other animations which are quite cute and he said it was cool. :D
When I talk about my vpets to my mom she sometimes listens and shows interest as well, but not always - she finds it infantile and not for someone my age and that's where usually the further conversation about my collection goes... ;P

since I don't have a lot of money I don't have a lot of Tamagotchi virtual pets and stuff...but I bought Tamagotchi Collection for DS and Tamagotchi Video Advetures VHS, I'm lucky, since many parents in Italy hates Tamagotchi, but my mom doesn't!She likes the fact I have a hobby

All of my friends and family know about my love for Tamagotchis. It's nothing new since the majority of my hobbies focus on dolls and toys. ^_^ I carry them around with me and photograph them everywhere-- in my home, in public places; I have other people hold them for photos. Lots of adventures with Tamas and other fun things. I travel and go to conventions for many of my favorite toys and that's how it's been for almost 29 years.

It's really hard to ignore the toy theme in most of my blog posts, not to mention my site's design, haha. These hobbies define me and I like knowing that my reputation can precede me in that way!

I've got a couple of friends who know, and I already saw them playing with the Tama-Go. The other members are right, it is about how you interact with them about your passion of collecting them, and introducing them to different versions.

I've only showed them the Tama-Go, and I'm excited to show them the other versions. Perhaps I'll convince one of them to buy a Tamagotchi, too! :)

I think everyone I know is aware of my Tamagotchi collection. I certainly don't hide them, and anyone that has ever commented on them in public has been nice. Mostly curious or excited to reminisce. I get a lot of comments about them at work -- coworkers asking if I got any new ones, or how the one I'm currently running is doing, etc.

My fiance is super supportive of my hobby. He even got me my first color Tamagotchi when he saw how excited I was about it. Everyone has their own thing -- my fiance has a massive trading card game collection and he excitedly tells me about new cards as much as I excitedly tell him about my various Tamagotchi characters.

I think my family is pretty awesome about them. I definitely had my mom "Tama-sit" back in the day so she knows all about them. In fact, I accidentally left one of my P's at my parents house once this year, and she even managed to take excellent care of a Japanese-language Tama for me for a couple of days because she knew I'd feel bad about leaving it there. That's some top-quality Tamagotchi collection support right there! She was very glad to give it back to me though. Not really her thing :p

Was talking to my mom about it yesterday.... she still doesnt get it, but asked if it was normal with my being older. so I told her about how theres people with husbands and their own human children who also share this hobby. it made a bit more sense.

but then she was just double checking, saying "but its nothing like Bronies right?". i reassured her that its not. the only thing it has in common is adults interested in something intended for kids. but, i can safely say that i am NOT sexually attracted to my virtual pets lol. (they are to the my little pony characters)

Was talking to my mom about it yesterday.... she still doesnt get it, but asked if it was normal with my being older. so I told her about how theres people with husbands and their own human children who also share this hobby. it made a bit more sense.

but then she was just double checking, saying "but its nothing like Bronies right?". i reassured her that its not. the only thing it has in common is adults interested in something intended for kids. but, i can safely say that i am NOT sexually attracted to my virtual pets lol. (they are to the my little pony characters)
That's not what a brony is. A brony is a teen/adult (of either gender) who enjoys the show My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic. Nothing more, nothing less.

That's not what a brony is. A brony is a teen/adult (of either gender) who enjoys the show My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic. Nothing more, nothing less.
oh ok. all ive ever heard is basically howard stern talking about the adult males who enjoy.... well, themselves.... while watching/thinking about certain my little pony characters. their own personal form of "adult entertainment" if you will.

Rule 34 of the Internet...?

oh ok. all ive ever heard is basically howard stern talking about the adult males who enjoy.... well, themselves.... while watching/thinking about certain my little pony characters. their own personal form of "adult entertainment" if you will.
Those are called cloppers and are generally hated by everyone, including bronies.

/offtopic

I think I am going to start using my Tamagotchi P's more... Like, in public? I mean, check on it when I have a break between classes and so and try to stop being ashamed of my hobby... That will be VERY hard, but keeping it a secret is getting a bit annoying, tbh. I want to carry them around in those nice crochet covers and pouches I make, gosh, nobody even knows I can crochet nice things! Only because I mostly crochet Tamagotchi stuff.
Any advice, anyone? I mean, I am afraid that people will laugh behind my back, say I am ultra childish and won't want to hang out with me cause they will think I'm weird, lol.
Not like I care about EVERYONE, but it would be nice to make some friends in the new group...

I think I am going to start using my Tamagotchi P's more... Like, in public? I mean, check on it when I have a break between classes and so and try to stop being ashamed of my hobby... That will be VERY hard, but keeping it a secret is getting a bit annoying, tbh. I want to carry them around in those nice crochet covers and pouches I make, gosh, nobody even knows I can crochet nice things! Only because I mostly crochet Tamagotchi stuff.

Any advice, anyone? I mean, I am afraid that people will laugh behind my back, say I am ultra childish and won't want to hang out with me cause they will think I'm weird, lol.

Not like I care about EVERYONE, but it would be nice to make some friends in the new group...
Well you could try starting off with carrying around a more "vintage" v-pet and see how that feels. I think it might be easier to start of with an older one because

#1- They are much smaller and wont draw as much attention

#2- It will be more easily recognizable and nostalgic for people, and they might just think "oh hey that person found her old gigapet and decided to play with it, that's cool!"

and then they might even be inspired to go home and find their old ones or even look into the more advanced ones that have come out since then ;)

I havent had the guts to take them out in public since the 90s maybe early 2000s.

i wouldnt dare ever bring them to work though. far too greasy and potentially dangerous of an environment.

My parents have known for quite a while that I've been collecting them (Since I was 10, they bought me my very first one, plus a few others) but I don't think they know that I've been spending a lot of money on them. Most of my friends don't really know that I actively collect them, besides a select few that think it's really awesome. I'm 19 now and in college, and occasionally I have them out when I'm sitting in the student lounge, and people don't really pay attention to it but I am pretty self conscious about having them out in public. I only have one (online) friend that plays with them too, so I can't really share my enjoyment of them with anyone else. My boyfriend knows I collect them but he just accepts it as a quirk of mine (I also collect Pokemon items and beanie babies, so there's that.) My parents think it's silly and have thought so since I was about 14, but they don't really do anything about it. Though usually when a tamagotchi comes in the mail I take great lengths to hide that I bought it on ebay :p so I don't know. It's not a huge deal but I don't really broadcast it. I feel that I'm at the age where it's not cool at all to like them. A lot of TT users on here it seems are in their mid twenties or in their early teens, and there aren't many around my age. Seems to me I was caught in the wrong wave; the older TT users had the originals in the 90s and their generation likes them as pieces of nostalgia if nothing else, and the younger ones, they started with the Tama-Go's and ID's and stuff, but I started getting into them at age 10 and the fad quickly died with my age group. I'm rambling, but yeah.

I feel that I'm at the age where it's not cool at all to like them. A lot of TT users on here it seems are in their mid twenties or in their early teens, and there aren't many around my age. Seems to me I was caught in the wrong wave; the older TT users had the originals in the 90s and their generation likes them as pieces of nostalgia if nothing else, and the younger ones, they started with the Tama-Go's and ID's and stuff, but I started getting into them at age 10 and the fad quickly died with my age group. I'm rambling, but yeah.
I'm actually only a year older than you! So I guess we're in the same boat haha, let me know if you'd ever like to talk, I also don't really have friends my age who enjoy tamas

My computer posted this twice...

A lot of TT users on here it seems are in their mid twenties or in their early teens, and there aren't many around my age.
I'm only 2 years older than you and feel the same as you...Btw, Brittygotchi is also 19.

Well that makes me feel a little better, brittygotchi and carol_tama! :p I am friends with you both on here haha. At least there's someone who likes them around my age. I'm also really into pokemon and I feel like that's more socially acceptable for my age group.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back